UK PM Johnson could lose his seat and majority at next election - poll

rooster59

UK PM Johnson could lose his seat and majority at next election - poll

2021-01-03T023938Z_1_LYNXMPEH02012_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson poses for a picture after signing the Brexit trade deal with the EU at number 10 Downing Street in London, Britain December 30, 2020. Leon Neal/Pool via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is on course to lose his own seat and neither of the two main political parties is likely to win an outright majority at the next general election, not due until 2024, according to a new poll.

This is the first detailed survey of the public's perception of Johnson's handling of the recently concluded Brexit talks and the COVID-19 pandemic after he reversed plans to allow families to meet up at Christmas in parts of southern England to combat the spread of the virus.

More than 22,000 people were surveyed in a closely watched poll constituency-by-constituency poll over a four-week period in December, which was conducted by the research data company Focaldata and published by the Sunday Times.

The so-called multilevel regression and post-stratification (MRP) poll found the ruling Conservatives would lose 81 seats, wiping out the 80-seat majority. This would leave the Conservatives with 284 seats, while the opposition Labour Party would win 282 seats, the poll showed.

The Scottish National Party, which wants to break away from the rest of the United Kingdom, is predicted to win 57 of the 59 seats in Scotland, meaning the party could potentially play a kingmaker role in forming the next government.

The prime minister is at risk to lose his own seat of Uxbridge, west of London, the poll found.

Johnson won a resounding election victory last year that allowed him to take Britain out of the European Union's orbit on New Year's Eve after almost half a century of close ties.

But Johnson's premiership may increasingly be defined by the government's response to the coronavirus pandemic, which has already killed more than 74,000 people and crushed the economy.

(Reporting by Andrew MacAskill; editing by David Evans)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-03

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

Johnyfd (the one with the bike pic) was one of them there were others but hard to look through it all.

Yes compromise is required during negotiation. I can remember the Dutch PM when they were negotiating about the loan issue for COVID. He said would not accept something later he had to accept it but got other things in return. He was a bit more honest then BJ. Telling the Dutch that he did not get his way completely but said this is what compromise is.

BJ never did anything of the sort. 

I think the UK and EU got a good deal however its far from what BJ promised his hardcore fans. Why do you think the fishermen were so angry. He never said anything about it to the public acknowledging that he did not get what he wanted but hail it all as a victory. I guess he is kinda like Trump never admitting anything always acting tough.

He needs to sell the deal to the British public .

BJ never has claimed to have got everything he wanted .

I have no idea what BJ promised the British public , so cannot comment on that

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Johnyfd (the one with the bike pic) was one of them there were others but hard to look through it all.

Yes compromise is required during negotiation. I can remember the Dutch PM when they were negotiating about the loan issue for COVID. He said would not accept something later he had to accept it but got other things in return. He was a bit more honest then BJ. Telling the Dutch that he did not get his way completely but said this is what compromise is.

BJ never did anything of the sort. 

I think the UK and EU got a good deal however its far from what BJ promised his hardcore fans. Why do you think the fishermen were so angry. He never said anything about it to the public acknowledging that he did not get what he wanted but hail it all as a victory. I guess he is kinda like Trump never admitting anything always acting tough.

Mr. Rutte is an exception.

It is no-no for a politician to admit he was/is wrong. 

This is something the people learned to live with, and thus don't expect it.

Even practically a certitude that the followers of the " lying" politician won't admit he was lying, but will find a lot of "perfectly acceptable excuses" for his behavior.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

I also think the UK and EU have a good deal now. The UK has to keep following the EU standards (can put them in UK laws).

Could you explain what you mean by that ?

(Please do not post another Guardian link )

What  E.U standards does the UK need to follow (within the UK )?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Could you explain what you mean by that ?

(Please do not post another Guardian link )

What  E.U standards does the UK need to follow (within the UK )?

The standards on environment and labor and other standards for products that are to be sold in the EU. The UK cant deviate downwards on those needs to be the same ore better then the EU standards.

Do I really need to explain to you what the deal encompassed ? To keep access to the market the EU cant change its standards downwards to gain a better competitive edge. So no state support no lesser environmental standards or labor standards. 

Right now that is not a problem as the UK left the Eu recently so they are all equal or better in the UK. The Dutch also have standards higher then the EU. Its just not allowed to deviate downwards.

This was one of the main points and the EU got their wish. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

The standards on environment and labor and other standards for products that are to be sold in the EU. The UK cant deviate downwards on those needs to be the same ore better then the EU standards.

Do I really need to explain to you what the deal encompassed ? To keep access to the market the EU cant change its standards downwards to gain a better competitive edge. So no state support no lesser environmental standards or labor standards. 

Right now that is not a problem as the UK left the Eu recently so they are all equal or better in the UK. The Dutch also have standards higher then the EU. Its just not allowed to deviate downwards.

This was one of the main points and the EU got their wish. 

Yes, but that is expected when we deal with the E.U.

Of course we have to meet E.U standards when we deal with E.U Countries 

You made it sound like the UK is changing its internal laws to meet E.U standards .

Like, the UK can pass anti covid vaccinations using our own standards, we dont need to wait for the E.Us approval

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, but that is expected when we deal with the E.U.

Of course we have to meet E.U standards when we deal with E.U Countries 

You made it sound like the UK is changing its internal laws to meet E.U standards .

Like, the UK can pass anti covid vaccinations using our own standards, we dont need to wait for the E.Us approval

Of course that is expected, but some on the forum here did not agree with that called it loss of sovereignty. Did not like it that they had to follow EU laws (standards)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Of course that is expected, but some on the forum here did not agree with that called it loss of sovereignty. Did not like it that they had to follow EU laws (standards)

Who are these "people on the forum" you keep talking about ?

I cannot speak on behalf of them 

• Like 1