What Historic Bangkok Bars Do We Have Left?

Just trying to remember all the Sukhumvit "Bar Areas" that have disappeared since I first came in 2002:

-Soi Zero: Under the expressway

-Soi-1

-Soi 3, First block & first side soi on left, from Sukhumvit.

-Alley between sois 5 & 7

-Soi-10 (Now Chewit Park/Art Space, closed)

-Clinton Plaza.

-Area between 13 & 15. ( small bar in front with a wagon wheel)

-Soi 12  Ministry of Sound, Insomnia, Some Russian Bar

-Soi 19 corner: Country Road, Upstairs, couple more who's names I forget.

-Asok Corner: B-52, Lolita's, 

-Soi 20, side soi on right: Pelican Bar, Anna Bar(?)

-Soi 22, Queen's Park

-Washington Square

-Soi 33 "Artist Bars"

Any I missed??

-

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dddave said:

Just trying to remember all the Sukhumvit "Bar Areas" that have disappeared since I first came in 2002:

-Soi-1

-Clinton Plaza.

-Soi 22, Queen's Park

-Washington Square

-Soi 33 "Artist Bars"

Any I missed??

-

Sad to see so many go. RIP. 

I am confused about the Asoke corner part. Can you elaborate?

Hasn't Lolita's always been just off Soi 8.

And there been more than one B52? Isn't it up Soi 22?

7 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Sad to see so many go. RIP. 

I am confused about the Asoke corner part. Can you elaborate?

Hasn't Lolita's always been just off Soi 8.

And there been more than one B52? Isn't it up Soi 22?

Where CITIBANK complex now stands was a kind of muddy bar area, separate from Soi Cowboy.  B52 and Lolita's had their original bars there along with several others.  Lolita's now on Soi 8 was "Wildcats" at that time: same theme.  B52 moved to soi 22 after development of Citibank began.

EDIT:  Was what is now Lolita's off soi-8 "Wildcats" or "AlleyCats"????  Anybody remember?

Edited by dddave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Where CITIBANK complex now stands was a kind of muddy bar area, separate from Soi Cowboy.  B52 and Lolita's had their original bars there along with several others.  Lolita's now on Soi 8 was "Wildcats" at that time: same theme.  B52 moved to soi 22 after development of Citibank began.

EDIT:  Was what is now Lolita's off soi-8 "Wildcats" or "AlleyCats"????  Anybody remember?

I think that it was Alley Cats. I am sure that B52 developed from Wild Country, certainly some of the girls were the same. The first time I saw it was in Washington Square (WS) close to Taffy's. This was after the side of WS with Silver Dollar and others had been knocked down but there were still some bars open on the other side with access from Soi 22. They then moved to the Queens park bar complex and are now in a small soi off Soi 22.  I think!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2009 said:

Great responses, guys! Cheers

Let's map out a pub crawl for after the pandemic, eh?

Who is up for it?

I started coming to LOS in 2006. Permanent resident since 2013. I live up in the stix. When I occasionally get to BKK usually hang about Soi 11. Being an old fart I'm not all that up for an extended "pub crawl". BUT, would be very interested in joining anyone interested in visiting some of the "older" or "more notable" watering holes. Put me down as a starter.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, dddave said:

-Soi-1

-Clinton Plaza.

-Soi 22, Queen's Park

-Washington Square

-Soi 33 "Artist Bars"

Any I missed??

-

Speaking of Soi 22, Buddy's Bar n Grill has lasted a fair number of years (as far as Bangkok bars go, though I notice they are opening a new one (same decor) down on Sukhumvit Road close to Asok on the corner of that little dead-end soi (18/1?) where ShagBar 2, Why Not, and Angels Club were/are.

And also those other Soi 22 bars beside Buddy's - Angel Bar, Connection Bar, and Otto Bar - have last pretty well and still preserve the classic Thai beer bar vibes.

And then there is Too Easy just round on the little soi which I think has a lot of the old Washington crowd (those who are still with us).

Edited by 2009

On 1/3/2021 at 8:13 PM, moe666 said:

I guess what you would call old bars are all gone, Cheap Charlies, Check-In, And the old favorite Golden Beer Bar at Nana Hotel. Hilaries is still around but new and not improved. The string of Bars under the express way have been gone for a while and the Saxophone Bar Victory Monument. O well the beat goes on.

Cheap Charlies is in On Nut and in a much nicer spot.  

3 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

blimey - unless I've missed it, no-one has mentioned Thermae.The place to be [not to be seen] after hours on Sukhumvit 25 years ago. Like Dante's Inferno, from what little I can remember........

Plus The Ship, a pub on soi 23 before Cowboy. Run by the lovely old Pi Gi (aka Miss Piggy).

Thermae moved to basement under Ruamchit Plaza hotel Soi13/15 and as far as I know it is still there

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2009 said:

Speaking of Soi 22, Buddy's Bar n Grill has lasted a fair number of years (as far as Bangkok bars go, though I notice they are opening a new one (same decor) down on Sukhumvit Road close to Asok on the corner of that little dead-end soi (18/1?) where ShagBar 2, Why Not, and Angels Club were/are.

And also those other Soi 22 bars beside Buddy's - Angel Bar, Connection Bar, and Otto Bar - have last pretty well and still preserve the classic Thai beer bar vibes.

And then there is Too Easy just round on the little soi which I think has a lot of the old Washington crowd (those who are still with us).

Too Easy replaced the original Easy bar which was next to Taffys on the square. Consequently many of the original customers simply crossed the road.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, dddave said:

-Soi-1

-Clinton Plaza.

-Soi 22, Queen's Park

-Washington Square

-Soi 33 "Artist Bars"

Any I missed??

-

That's an impressive summary.

I just read your list again and I remember I visited all those place.

I also remember the bars before it became Chuvit Park. I live in a high rise building from where I could see that area. One day I look out of the window and I think: Something is different today. Search, look, Oh!, no bars anymore.

That was about 7am and I know the bars were still there at 1am. What I learned from that is that Thais can be very efficient if they want to be. The demolition team flattened that whole area within hours. And they erected a big concrete wall around it, and they posted security (I think I remember soldiers) around it. All done in a few hours in the middle of the night. Now that was impressive.

Later on that day I had a coffee in Délifrance in front of Clinton Plaza opposite from the demolished bars. Obviously that was no bar but I still miss it.

And from your list: Ministry of Sound in Soi 12 was also very impressive. Until some official decided to set the closing time to 2am (for all Bangkok, not just that place).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's an impressive summary.

I just read your list again and I remember I visited all those place.

I also remember the bars before it became Chuvit Park. I live in a high rise building from where I could see that area. One day I look out of the window and I think: Something is different today. Search, look, Oh!, no bars anymore.

That was about 7am and I know the bars were still there at 1am. What I learned from that is that Thais can be very efficient if they want to be. The demolition team flattened that whole area within hours. And they erected a big concrete wall around it, and they posted security (I think I remember soldiers) around it. All done in a few hours in the middle of the night. Now that was impressive.

Later on that day I had a coffee in Délifrance in front of Clinton Plaza opposite from the demolished bars. Obviously that was no bar but I still miss it.

And from your list: Ministry of Sound in Soi 12 was also very impressive. Until some official decided to set the closing time to 2am (for all Bangkok, not just that place).

I recall that! I went to work that morning and noticed all the bars were gone. The owner of the land tried to evict all the bars, but the owners of the bars wouldn't move.  After they closed that night the owner of the land brought in the dozers leveled the place. Their were some law suits but I never heard more about it. 

20 minutes ago, ericthai said:

I recall that! I went to work that morning and noticed all the bars were gone. The owner of the land tried to evict all the bars, but the owners of the bars wouldn't move.  After they closed that night the owner of the land brought in the dozers leveled the place. Their were some law suits but I never heard more about it. 

Mr. Chuwit got a 2 year prison sentence, don't think he did the 2 years, it seems he received a kind of pardon, when promised to make a park of the area, and not rent/sold it for business purpose.

My wife, who had a beauty salon there, was compensated with a few thousand baths, via the Lumpini police station.

• Like 1

I always liked Gullivers  as it was located walking distance from the Nana Plaza.

I would stay at Dynasty or the Nana Hotel and spend some time at the plaza then

head to Gullivers for dinner, Great food and atmosphere. and a few times would 

head back to the hotel skipping Nana and getting a good nights sleep.  Ohhh

Memories, pre Covid.

Geezer

• Like 1

17 hours ago, marin said:

Wong's Place, Soi Ngarm Du Pli.  Been there since the 70's.

Pretty sure Wongs opened in late 1987, I asked the owner one night a few years ago and that’s what he said. Also I was staying in the Malaysia Hotel in mid-late 1987 which is literally a stones throw from Wongs and do not remember it from that time.