What Historic Bangkok Bars Do We Have Left?

50 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Clinton Plaza, named after the naughty president.

Dollhouse was there but also a bar named the Whitehouse. 

There we a nice place called Tivoli, with live music and a cute Philippine lead singer at the entry. She had real talent and later sang for a few years at the Hard Rock Cafe at Siam Square. 

Also the Monica Bar or Monica's, first bar at the entry, I believe.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Clinton Plaza, named after the naughty president.

Dollhouse was there but also a bar named the Whitehouse. 

Clinton Plaza and those bar (I think in total 5) were pretty good when they just opened.

As far as I know that was the first Dollhouse ever with Darel at that time. RIP

derel2.jpg

On 1/3/2021 at 8:08 PM, wordchild said:

Safari is still going in Patpong I believe.
During my early days here, many of the expats who worked in the area , used to go to the Irish pub on soi convent on a Friday night after work , forget the name of that bar  , now long gone, then it was over the road to Safari as the first stop. 
After that , wherever!

Originally it was called Delaney’s then changed to shenanigans ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charmonman said:

That’s a great roundup of the great old bars. To Patpong I would add the Limelight, Peppermint Bistro, and Goldfingers all very close to one another and all luggage shops now probably. On Patpong 2 there was Mikes Place down a long corridor next to Foodland I think. A bit of a weird atmosphere like something out of a David Lynch movie. Also Bobby’s Arms Pub up in the car park.

Also on Patpong 2, the Tavern ( or is it the Taavern?) I think it’s still there, barely.

Your post has brought back some memories. It would not surprise me if I sat next to you at the Bar at the Superstar Coffee shop watching movies. I used to eat there 3 times a week back in 90/91.

One long gone bar on PP2 that I used to frequent for the live music as much as the beer was the "Executive Lounge," which was owned by the same group as the "Patpong Cafe" and the "Crystal Palace" further down the Soi. Also, surprised that no one has mentioned "The New Cowboy Bar" on Soi 22, as one of the old time haunts that are still around - I think? Also, "Moonshine" has moved from QPP to just off of Soi 7 in a new beer bar "plaza" that's still expanding.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Too Easy replaced the original Easy bar which was next to Taffys on the square. Consequently many of the original customers simply crossed the road.

Was Easy Bar the one right on the corner of Soi 22 beside Taffy's?

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In 1995 I read on the Internet NewsGroups (anybody remembers them?) a description about Thermae. It was similar to this:

Basically you can't compare Thermae to anything. But if you want to compare it think about that bar in Star Wars were Luke Skywalker meets Han Solo.

1721170.main_image.jpg?strip=all

and it was like walking into that bar ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I know, it's not Bangkok, but few long time expats won't know that place.

Tahitian Queen closed down. - Pattaya Forum - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

TQ??? no way, wasn't it the first gogo ever open in Pattaya or some other historic artifact? great rock music there, girls in the other hand

• Like 2

I have no shame in it.

After touching down in Swampy for the first time, I told the taxi driver to take me to Soi 4. He let out a chuckle.

It wasn't long until I stumbled into the world famous Stumble Inn. Within five mins this wonderful, lovely lady approached me. A bit older, about my age, and nicely filled out with a bit extra, just the way I like 'em. Going this route eliminates much of the attitude, immaturity, and telephone obsession you can expect from the young, skinny stunners, I've since found. Not to mention much better English.

But anyway, I bought her a drink, and soon got into an lengthy, enjoyable, amusing conversation. She knew I was new and felt the excitement coming off me, which she then reciprocated. Laughing, then dancing, and pulling each other close. I soon paid the barfine, and you know the rest.

Kept in touch for a bit, had some good times, then came the eventual psycho BS, and money/fam problems, and then it was time to move on. Yet I don't think I could've had a better welcome to Amazing Thailand.

• Like 2

A couple of other departed ones that I haven't seen mentioned: Woodstock in Nana Plaza - though I've heard it's moved elsewhere, and one rarely mentioned anywhere; The Toby Jug on Silom, just before the Silom Centre when coming from Rama 4, which was an English style pub, perfect for a lunchtime steak and kidney pie and a pint when my office was in that area in the early 90s.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:08 PM, wordchild said:

Safari is still going in Patpong I believe.
During my early days here, many of the expats who worked in the area , used to go to the Irish pub on soi convent on a Friday night after work , forget the name of that bar  , now long gone, then it was over the road to Safari as the first stop. 
After that , wherever!

Dunno what's keeping Safari going. Last time there I went in, no girls, no music, nobody to serve beer. Walked out to go over the soi to Radio City...oops forgot that closed.

What about Crystal Palace or Cosmos?

1 hour ago, adammike said:
2 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

and it was like walking into that bar ????

The coffee shop in the Grace hotel was like that.

Many years ago for me the 2nd last stop was Thermae and when I didn't find anything there then I had a look in Grace Hotel. I soon gave up with that last stop.

Thinking about the good old times I remember when in Nana the Crown group was active and the BiB shut down their two biggest bars G-Spot and Voodoo. So the girls from those bars worked in the other smaller bars from that group like i.e. Lollipop. At that time the small Crown group bars were so full that on 1 sqm floorspace were maybe 4 girls - and the stage full of girls. Just totally crowded. I never saw something like that again.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 12:00 PM, Hope 2021 said:

I have been a lurker for a long while but could not resist this topic!! Someone mentioned Chequers on Soi 4. That is open but very quiet. I always preferred Jools which has now moved to the Samsen Rd - same owner and still good English food the last time I went. On the music front, Brown Sugar still operates but I am not sure as to whether it is still at the same location. In Patpong, Cleos is still operating and owned by the guy who owned Cosmos. The latter is currently closed but may open again when better times come back - or maybe not!!  Finally, from the old Washington Square, Bourbon Street moved to Ekkamai, Wild Country became B52s and is now in a soi close to the Marriott Marquis on Soi 22 and the Sportsman moved to Soi 13.

Jools same owner? The big fella? I doubt it very much. Didn't know they had relocated just thought they closed down

Edited by Nout

7 hours ago, jeffbkk1 said:

One long gone bar on PP2 that I used to frequent for the live music as much as the beer was the "Executive Lounge," which was owned by the same group as the "Patpong Cafe" and the "Crystal Palace" further down the Soi. Also, surprised that no one has mentioned "The New Cowboy Bar" on Soi 22, as one of the old time haunts that are still around - I think? Also, "Moonshine" has moved from QPP to just off of Soi 7 in a new beer bar "plaza" that's still expanding.

I often stay at the Admiral so have frequently lunched in the New Cowboy bar , not sure I have ever been in after dark though.

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

What a creative collection of names. It deserve UNESCO world heritage site status!

I believe the only remnant of the place is Bush Garden, in the building to the right of where Clinton Plaza used to be. (Same building as the new Thermae)

3 hours ago, Nout said:

Not a bar, not historical.

[Huntsman/Landmark]

I know what you mean, but 20-odd years ago it was a very significant after-work-networking-relax and meeting-up place for us locals. At happy-hour prices till that awful fl*p band started, it was both cheap and very comfortable to start the evening.

A lot of good old watering holes listed.  

I haven't heard anyone mention The Front Page.  They would have live music on the weekends.  It was down near the Bangkok Post offices and many from there would stop in after work.  I don't think it is in the same location anymore.