What Historic Bangkok Bars Do We Have Left?

Loved the whole Clinton Plaza area.  Good little bars and also places to eat.  I liked Tivoli.  It later moved to Silom Soi 4 and under a new name was called Noriega's.  

Other places I enjoyed were Crown Royal, Delaney's, Wong's, Bobby's Arms, and Woodstock.  

Drank many a Kloster and Amarit beer back them.  

I remember (when worldwide Hard Rock Cafes were in vogue) there was a HARD ROCK CAFE (a real one) down on Ploenchit (or Rama I?) possibly where the Intercontinental is now (??).

In Patpong, the BUTTERFLY bar, the BLUE SKY bar.

And a correction to my naming of HANKS BAR in Soi 22...   It was actually called THE DRAGON'S DEN.  I had to look up my old 1990 diary!

Check-Inn moved. Are they permanently closed now?

On 1/3/2021 at 5:13 AM, moe666 said:

I guess what you would call old bars are all gone, Cheap Charlies, Check-In, And the old favorite Golden Beer Bar at Nana Hotel. Hilaries is still around but new and not improved. The string of Bars under the express way have been gone for a while and the Saxophone Bar Victory Monument. O well the beat goes on.

11 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

More Bar interiors keep popping up in my brain but the actual names escape me!

NEW COWBOY BAR in Soi 22 was opposite HANKS BAR (owned by the Air America chopper pilot)...  both (back in the 80's) were frequented by many residents of the LIBERTY PLACE apartments.  Many great expat Darts players resided at the Liberty.

Stayed at Liberty Aoartments in the early 2000's and liked the cheeseburgers at the New Cowboys bar, which is still going it appears.

Pop quiz for Old Bangkok Hands.

What was Soi Zero originally called?

What was there name of the restaurant on Soi 4 where Morning-Night now is?

And the most difficult..

In which movie, set in the Vietnam War era, had the band from the long-gone Cock and Bull pub in it?

Edited by H1w4yR1da
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

Stayed at Liberty Aoartments in the early 2000's and liked the cheeseburgers at the New Cowboys bar, which is still going it appears.

And the most difficult..

In which movie, set in the Vietnam War era, had the band from the long-gone Cock and Bull pub in it?

good times there,

14 hours ago, H1w4yR1da said:

... And the most difficult..

Was it The Deer Hunter?  I don't remember a band, but I do remember them filming in Patpong.  My buddy was in the film as an extra, chatting up bar girls as he liked to do.  I was late to the party by a few days.  I think he got paid $20 a day.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 4:34 PM, Red Forever said:

Dunno what's keeping Safari going. Last time there I went in, no girls, no music, nobody to serve beer. Walked out to go over the soi to Radio City...oops forgot that closed.

What about Crystal Palace or Cosmos?

Cosmos is now closed (I think for good)

Crystal Palace is being refurbished (?) when I walked past in the day time yesterday.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

On 1/6/2021 at 6:47 PM, H1w4yR1da said:

And the most difficult..

Was Soi Zero's first Bar called BUCKSKIN JOE'S? 

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2021 at 5:12 AM, Damrongsak said:
On 1/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, H1w4yR1da said:

... And the most difficult..

Was it The Deer Hunter?  I don't remember a band, but I do remember them filming in Patpong.  My buddy was in the film as an extra, chatting up bar girls as he liked to do.  I was late to the party by a few days.  I think he got paid $20 a day.

Might be a later date and different band. Didn't Cock and Bull have the 'Joker Club' above or next to it? In the mid 80's had a house band, lead singer/guitarist was a former Thai TV Lakhon star. That BTW was a GREAT place. In house service sector workers pretty good too.

Was told Deer Hunter was filmed at Mississippi Queen also. The Sugar Shack, Patpong, not mentioned yet, was a lot of fun early mid 80's.

I have a Lucy's Tiger Den baseball cap buried in storage. I heard he moved to the PI, end of the 80's. His wife was Filipino. Re opened club, but health problems or worse. The bar, or something using the name was going in the 90's, in the PI. Lucy's Tiger Den had an internet site, early internet days. I wonder what happened to the pictures covering the walls of the Bangkok place. They were a real historical record of Vietnam era people. 

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 7:28 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I also remember the bars before it became Chuvit Park. I live in a high rise building from where I could see that area. One day I look out of the window and I think: Something is different today. Search, look, Oh!, no bars anymore.

That was about 7am and I know the bars were still there at 1am. What I learned from that is that Thais can be very efficient if they want to be. The demolition team flattened that whole area within hours. And they erected a big concrete wall around it, and they posted security (I think I remember soldiers) around it. All done in a few hours in the middle of the night. Now that was impressive.

I happened to be spending that night with a girl who had a room on the roof of the Miami Hotel.  We heard a commotion about 3AM and watched the demolition from below the big rooftop "Miami Hotel" sign.  It was an unbelievable scene, about 150 "irregulars": some troops in uniform, forestry police and whoever else Chewit could hire acted like Genghis Khan sacking a city.  Not a single chair, table, countertop or partition survived, virtually everything was smashed.  Nobody was killed AFAIK but several business owners who came and tried to protect their businesses were beaten up pretty badly. It took a day or so for the site to be walled off and it looked just like a town hit by a tornado.

Chewit did one year of a two year sentence: not for the demolition but for some fraudulent transactions acquiring the property.  Not long after release he ran for governor of Bangkok, plastering the city with posters of himself, Colt 45 in hand. Chewit was known then as the massage parlor king as he owned most of the large "Soapies" along Petchabury Rd and Ratchada.  He paid for the soi 10 plot to be made into Chewit Park and dedicated to the King as a way to buy some respectability.   He was forbidden to ever personally participate in developing that parcel of land though I'm sure he's got a workaround in mind. 

On 1/6/2021 at 10:46 PM, joecoolfrog said:

If standing outside Taffys , Easy bar was next door to the left , owner was Jah.

Jah; the bionic bar girl.  She had more surgeries than Evil Knevil, most paid for by the oil workers who used to hang in WS.  

I was in Silver Dollar one day (anyone remember their free Sunday dinner?).  A bunch of oil workers were partying with the girls, a girl named Mint among them.  She was sweet with a beautiful face but flat as Kansas. They started joking about buying her implants and next thing, they took-up a collection among themselves and handed Mint about 40K...told her to get implants.  She did.   She ended up at Wild Country after S$ closed.

• Like 2