What Historic Bangkok Bars Do We Have Left?

1 hour ago, H1w4yR1da said:

Lucky Luke's Beer Bar in Nana used to be run by an obnoxious Austrian in the 80s.

Had a plaque stating "No Arab sit here.."

I heard about that. It seems he had another sign for those Arabs: We respect your religion and we won't server you any alcohol. ???? 

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I heard about that. It seems he had another sign for those Arabs: We respect your religion and we won't server you any alcohol. ???? 

I remember that well from my first trip to Thailand....coming from Saudi at the time, I rather approved.....'scuse my racism!  ????

Edited by VBF

On 1/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, dddave said:

Just trying to remember all the Sukhumvit "Bar Areas" that have disappeared since I first came in 2002:

-Soi Zero: Under the expressway

-Soi-1

-Soi 3, First block & first side soi on left, from Sukhumvit.

-Alley between sois 5 & 7

-Soi-10 (Now Chewit Park/Art Space, closed)

-Clinton Plaza.

-Area between 13 & 15. ( small bar in front with a wagon wheel)

-Soi 12  Ministry of Sound, Insomnia, Some Russian Bar

-Soi 19 corner: Country Road, Upstairs, couple more who's names I forget.

-Asok Corner: B-52, Lolita's, 

-Soi 20, side soi on right: Pelican Bar, Anna Bar(?)

-Soi 22, Queen's Park

-Washington Square

-Soi 33 "Artist Bars"

Any I missed??

-

Soi zero was a riot, i used to go there about 2003 ish ( i think ), when did it shut down out of interest?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Soi zero was a riot, i used to go there about 2003 ish ( i think ), when did it shut down out of interest?

I don't remember when it started and when it ended. But I don't think it survived more than maybe 3 years.

I was there only a few times and there was nothing exiting under the highway.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't remember when it started and when it ended. But I don't think it survived more than maybe 3 years.

I was there only a few times and there was nothing exiting under the highway.

It was definitely there when I moved to BKK in Oct 1990. I never found it very exciting either. According to my recollection it was more a collection of cheap shack bars than a real bar area. My main memory is of the big neon sign saying "Buckskin Joe's Village" which incidentally is what I recall everyone calling it at that time, not so much Soi Zero.

I watched this youtube clip recently where one of the interviewees suggests that the name came from the sign, not the other way around lol.

It will sound strange nowadays but another problem with that area is that it was hard to find somewhere to park a car. In those days it was normal and perfectly acceptable to drive from bar to bar and it wasn't hard to find parking on the street almost anywhere in Sukhumvit. The road running parallel to the railway tracks between Suk and Rama 4 was yet to be built (for the World Bank conference) and the whole area was a slum.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thedemon said:

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure that the name "Soi Zero" more specifically referred to the slum next to Buckskin Joe's which is where quite a few of Sukhumvit's night time workers lived in those days.

There was a "street" called Soi Zero or Soi Rotfai. That was/is along the rail tracks.

And there was the bar area under the elevated highway which, as far as I remember, was also called Soi Zero.

The bar area was south or Sukhumvit and the Soi Zero "street" was/is north of Sukhumvit parallel to Soi 1.

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

this is good news, i have to make a trip to BKK next week, this will kill an hour ( well, 5 minutes - lol ).

You could have a drink before she gets something to eat.

But then again I don't know if they server any drinks in the moment.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, dddave said:

Just trying to remember all the Sukhumvit "Bar Areas" that have disappeared since I first came in 2002:

-Soi Zero: Under the expressway

-Soi-1

-Soi 3, First block & first side soi on left, from Sukhumvit.

-Alley between sois 5 & 7

-Soi-10 (Now Chewit Park/Art Space, closed)

-Clinton Plaza.

-Area between 13 & 15. ( small bar in front with a wagon wheel)

-Soi 12  Ministry of Sound, Insomnia, Some Russian Bar

-Soi 19 corner: Country Road, Upstairs, couple more who's names I forget.

-Asok Corner: B-52, Lolita's, 

-Soi 20, side soi on right: Pelican Bar, Anna Bar(?)

-Soi 22, Queen's Park

-Washington Square

-Soi 33 "Artist Bars"

Any I missed??

-

There was a short lived beer bar plaza further up Soi 22 after Queen's Park on the opposite side past the school. Early 2000's. Some may remember it. 

Also some go-go's over near Victory Monument (Ari or Saphan Kwai station BTS), they were a throwback to the 1980's, and were hanging on in the early 2000's. 

Soi Happyland? Were there ever any bars there? I seem to recall there was. Went there a couple of times I think in the 90's.

Your list pretty much nailed it though. Bangkok is bereft of good places to drink now.

On 1/4/2021 at 9:10 PM, 2009 said:

Speaking of Soi 22, Buddy's Bar n Grill has lasted a fair number of years (as far as Bangkok bars go, though I notice they are opening a new one (same decor) down on Sukhumvit Road close to Asok on the corner of that little dead-end soi (18/1?) where ShagBar 2, Why Not, and Angels Club were/are.

And also those other Soi 22 bars beside Buddy's - Angel Bar, Connection Bar, and Otto Bar - have last pretty well and still preserve the classic Thai beer bar vibes.

And then there is Too Easy just round on the little soi which I think has a lot of the old Washington crowd (those who are still with us).

Buddy's on 22 is fairly new, Tom moved there after he closed down D'Pelican which was further down the soi next to the Honey House. 

Not forgetting Rays Soi 22 Scottish Bar that was round the corner on the main Sukhumvit road (now the tailors next to the 7/11) then moved further up the Soi 22 where is was a bit stranded out on its own. Closed about 2012 I think...

Martin's Traveller's Corner bar was the tea time bar that looked like a travel agent... I think his wife was a travel agent as it goes, first bar on the corner of Soi 22 long before Otto's and the rest now the bamboo place calling itself country road.

Cheers Bar in Washing ton Square run by Big Chris (RIP) who had the good jukebox and big TV.

The Green Room run by Paul Kelly (RIP) who was a extra/stunt man in the movies used to open late and was always good craic.

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Buddy's on 22 is fairly new, Tom moved there after he closed down D'Pelican which was further down the soi next to the Honey House. 

Not forgetting Rays Soi 22 Scottish Bar that was round the corner on the main Sukhumvit road (now the tailors next to the 7/11) then moved further up the Soi 22 where is was a bit stranded out on its own. Closed about 2012 I think...

Martin's Traveller's Corner bar was the tea time bar that looked like a travel agent... I think his wife was a travel agent as it goes, first bar on the corner of Soi 22 long before Otto's and the rest now the bamboo place calling itself country road.

Cheers Bar in Washing ton Square run by Big Chris (RIP) who had the good jukebox and big TV.

The Green Room run by Paul Kelly (RIP) who was a extra/stunt man in the movies used to open late and was always good craic.

Wasn't there a "Larry's Dive" bar & restaurant on 22?

Recall some wooden style bar on soi 22 on a corner, not quite as far down as the school. Cant recall the name though. Probably around 2009 I went a few times. When I rode down the soi a couple of years ago it looked like it was gone. 

I hear the pop up bars have returned to Suk road and expect quite a lot of street side bars all over Thailand to start popping up when tourists can finally come back in with the hassle of 14 days in a hotel doing squat. 

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Just watched it: Excellent video.  The scenes of Washington Sq. and Queen's Park reminded me of how we never really appreciate how unique and special such places are until they're gone.

Was that the inside of "Cactus" at "14:00"?  What a combo: great food, totally uninhibited ladies.  Sadly; John just reported that one of the long time girls was recently murdered by her husband.

How did ten years go by so quickly.

Do you have a link to the video?

14 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

The COUNTRY BAR on 22 near the corner was another good spot for people-watching.

The lady running the bar was quite nice several years ago (when the Happy Hour beer was 70 baht) however after she 'went' the place kinda went downhill a bit...  Happy Hour beer price went up as well.

That used to be Travellers' Corner bar, which was the first bar on that corner of Soi 22 in March 2004. Prior to that it was a very basic Thai restaurant.

Otto's was a Thai tailor shop and I mean a real Thai tailor shop not an Indian money laundering front.

Ray's 22 Bar was the other side of the 7/11 and was ran by Ray and his wife Nok. Loads of oil and gas workers (myself included) used to drink in there.

22ncgHKEMKGZBhssnYuhKg2y9tiF1IhtZaBKs6O1

14 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

DENNY'S BAR (in Sukhumvit) under the HOLIDAY INN looked okay from the outside. I've never been in but often wondered if it was connected to DENNY'S CORNER BAR in Washington Sq.

Same owner, known her for years. She sold it on now though to a farang that stuck his Thai missus in to manage it, and I think it failed and has since closed.

Another bar that we have forgotten about was Flyers, right on the opposite corner of Soi 22 and the main road where the Holiday Inn is now. Big pool hall with three or more floors. 

Up the road from that on the main road was Tip Top, a little dive of a restaurant where if you were so inclined you could drink all night. 

No Idea on Soi 22 of course used to be Larry's Dive, and did a great Rueben's Sandwich. Had a bit of a Hawaiian feel and dive shop attached to it.

3aNl3VO7gjH932PXVJDz93LKFMjPjVPHKVqhcXIc

• Like 1

I forgot about Tina's, a real dive of a go-go bar on Soi 22 in the square behind D'Pelican Inn and the Honey House.

I remember taking a girl up the stairs for a quicky and the room was bare except a mattress out of Hellraiser in the corner. I think it was their changing room as girls kept coming in mid-coitus.

Great times.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Haha 1