Samut Sakhon reports 541 new Covid-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

Samut Sakhon reports 541 new Covid-19 cases

c1_2039339.jpg

A healthcare worker takes a nasal swab sample of a migrant worker for a Covid-19 test in Muang district of Samut Sakhon. (REUTERS FILE PHOTO)

Health officials in Samut Sakhon province on Sunday reported 541 new COVID-19  cases.

According to Thai news site Thairath, 455 of the infections were amongst migrant workers, while 86 cases were from newly infected Thai nationals.

The cases amongst  migrant workers was the result of testing among the migrant community in the province. 

Sunday’s announcement  brings the total  number of cases in the province to 2,401.

Meanwhile,  health officials in Chonburi on Sunday reported  62 additional COVID-19 cases, 27 among men and 35 among women, bringing the total number of cases in the province to 305, with one death.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-03

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, JHicks said:

If you have a group that is effectively isolated it makes sense to separate out their numbers because they're not a transmission risk to anyone else. Whether migrant workers in Samut Sakhon really are effectively isolated I don't know, but I think that's the logic.

The question is whether it is one days worth or many days. Additionally are they being added to the total numbers in the MOPH stats or hidden. No transparency as I said.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The question is whether it is one days worth or many days.

Yeah that's another question, for sure. I think several days' worth of testing, just because there hasn't been any update on the SS numbers for a while. They could make that clearer, but even if it's 5 days of testing, that doesn't mean it represents 5 days of infections, and that's what you'd really want to know.

Amazing Thailand can control the virus for the whole year, and then just before the vaccine is given out .......the situation spirals out of control........seems WAY to convenient.

-Also amazes me how calm the thai government is this time around ..... e.g no national lockdown straight away ........

4 hours ago, JHicks said:

If you have a group that is effectively isolated it makes sense to separate out their numbers because they're not a transmission risk to anyone else. Whether migrant workers in Samut Sakhon really are effectively isolated I don't know, but I think that's the logic.

Don't understand that logic aren't all infected separated from the General Public should we separate all the numbers based on which group they were in?

Wouldn't that be very confusing why not just give the totals?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Susco said:

Sounds to me as with their testing they target specific groups.

In Samut Sakhon they test immigrant workers. In Rayong and Chonburi they test those that are in the circle of those that attended the gambling dens.

There should be a more wide scale testing, as there are many more cases as what they found so far

Don't be silly, "to quote Trump" , the more you test the more you will find, so by not mass testing it will keep the positive infections lower.... ????

• Thanks 1

Samut Sakhon reports 541 new COVID-19 cases Sunday afternoon

SK.jpg

Samut Sakhon, Thailand’s coastal hot spot in the new wave of COVID-19 infections, has reported 541 cases in a single day, according to the provincial health office this afternoon (Sunday).

According to the Samut Sakhon Facebook page, 455 migrant workers and 86 Thais are newly infected, raising accumulated cases in the province to 2,401 since the middle of December. 131 have, however, recovered.

Meanwhile, a shrimp venders’ group today announced the indefinite postponement of the resumption of trade at the Thalay Thai fresh market, due to the resurgence of COVID-19 infections.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/samut-sakhon-reports-541-new-covid-19-cases-sunday-afternoon/

thaipbs.jpg

5 hours ago, hydraides said:

Amazing Thailand can control the virus for the whole year, and then just before the vaccine is given out .......the situation spirals out of control........seems WAY to convenient.

-Also amazes me how calm the thai government is this time around ..... e.g no national lockdown straight away ........

You forget how calm they were last time, when they kept the borders open for a good few months - even to Chinese tourists during Chinese New Year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

has reported 541 cases in a single day, according to the provincial health office this afternoon (Sunday).

That answers my question as these are new single day infections. Add them to the tally MOPH 

45 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That answers my question as these are new single day infections. Add them to the tally MOPH 

Most data from anywhere doesn't indicate when the actual tests were taken. International daily figures are heavily averaged because of this. Large batches may be added upon completion of some screening program. There may also be delays between provincial and national reporting.

Question: are  Burmese workers added to MOPH national figures? Yes, they have been. Below is MOPH daily cases with three large peaks on Dec 20  to Dec 22. These are Burmese workers from the initial screening in Samut Shakon. 

The ups and downs in the last 6 days may also include smaller batches.

image.png.9e59dd1f078b7087d78673a1d34640ef.png

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1