Samut Sakhon reports 541 new Covid-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

With 918 cases , new cases are for sure exponential now. From 46 new cases 23 Dec to 918 new cases 3 Jan. Then from this data the new rate constant , k is .249. So the solution to the DE for y(25)  that is new infections on 15 Jan. is 18,217. And unfortunately that agrees with a forecast on 29 Dec. (Thailand news)   

IMG20210104060529.jpg

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, morrobay said:

With 918 cases , new cases are for sure exponential now. From 46 new cases 23 Dec to 918 new cases 3 Jan. Then from this data the new rate constant , k is .249. So the solution to the DE for y(25)  that is new infections on 15 Jan. is 18,217. And unfortunately that agrees with a forecast on 29 Dec. (Thailand news)   

IMG20210104060529.jpg

I don’t quite follow the math, but I think it means I should stay at home oh <deleted>

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Most data from anywhere doesn't indicate when the actual tests were taken. International daily figures are heavily averaged because of this. Large batches may be added upon completion of some screening program. There may also be delays between provincial and national reporting.

Question: are  Burmese workers added to MOPH national figures? Yes, they have been. Below is MOPH daily cases with three large peaks on Dec 20  to Dec 22. These are Burmese workers from the initial screening in Samut Shakon. 

The ups and downs in the last 6 days may also include smaller batches.

image.png.9e59dd1f078b7087d78673a1d34640ef.png

Newly infected as in the results from the tests taken the day before/or the time it took from the test to be positive.

455 migrant workers and 86 Thais are newly infected, raising accumulated cases in the province to 2,401 since the middle of December.

According to the linked Thairath article it sounds like they've only performed 5,922 tests since beginning of December and still waiting on lab results for 1,371 of those. 

If that is true then the percentage of positive cases we are seeing is very high. I know they are targeting high risk people only who've been in contact with infected people, but still that is a very high percentage of positive cases and a low number of tests.

12 minutes ago, xerostar said:

Most posters are missing the point. Studies elsewhere show the tests give 95% false positives.

Can you please give a reference to that statement, first time I ever heard of that, because if that is true, why even issue the test as a test? might as well throw a dice and get better accuracy.

Edited by AlQaholic

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Seen some 'official' statements that these 541 will get added into today's figures.

We'll see.

that's what happened last time from memory with the 600+ cases a few weeks ago. announced on Saturday evening and included with Sunday's figures

And all of this is because of the nature of the RTP (I will avoid a stronger word). Even if no one was directly bribed to let those Burmese workers in the country, it was still a case of money talks. And it would be an insult to our intelligence to suppose that the police don't know about every single illegal gambling den in the country, all the time. But to have the central government actually take over the police would require a sort of revolution, and they would have to clean up their own house first, and how would that happen?

• Like 1

well we in Trat have just started, one Thai lady went to another province to a gambling den, and then brought the virus back to Trat a couple of days ago, now already we have 23 Thai people infected no farang so far does that sound more like it

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A true lack of transparency.  Makes you wonder what the real numbers are.  Like many have been saying as well as myself, I do not trust their numbers. No cohesiveness in reporting.

Due to the lack of constant mass testing across Thailand  I see the number rising to over 10,000 or more in thd next 2 weeks.

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds to me like they are separating out the Non-Thai, Non Quarantine cases instead of combining them in one total Statistic.  Is this to save face or what is the reason they are not combining all of the tests from all of the provinces.  A clear picture is needed. So one can see what is happening and to make an informed decision as to sequester ones self or just continue with daily life, albeit there are certain closures.

Why the compulsion to rubbish every article, is the information too much to take in.

If you are so desperate for the "one total statistic", try looking in the right place.

https://covid19.ddc.moph.go.th/en

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Seems to me there are a number of posters on TV who defend everything the government do.

And there are an even larger number that defend their position in that everything the government does is wrong.

No government gets it right all the time, Bojo has more flipflops than a Sunday market but means nothing to the xenophobes on this forum, only ever one guilty party.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A true lack of transparency.  Makes you wonder what the real numbers are.  Like many have been saying as well as myself, I do not trust their numbers. No cohesiveness in reporting.

They're probably trying to emulate Japan when it refused to count the cases on board the Diamond Princess cruise liner as Japanese cases.

So now Worldometers will have to have a number for Thailand and a separate number for "Infected Burmese shrimp market", lol.

47 minutes ago, sandyf said:

And there are an even larger number that defend their position in that everything the government does is wrong.

No government gets it right all the time, Bojo has more flipflops than a Sunday market but means nothing to the xenophobes on this forum, only ever one guilty party.

Calling an Ace an Ace and a Spade a Spade.  A view is a view, and not Xenophobic as you insist Sandy.  Wrong is wrong.  Would you like to just ignore an issue, if you want you can, be my guest. Like watching someone get mugged and not calling the police because it does not concern you, bravo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:
16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

A clear picture is needed. So one can see what is happening and to make an informed decision as to sequester ones self or just continue with daily life,

Not trying to start something with you, but what type of information do you need in order to sequester yourself?

I think it is pretty clear there are cases in Chonburi and the Samut S which is not far from Bangkok.

The numbers are getting bigger now they cannot list where every person has been and what they are doing as they did previously.

Just assume they have been throughout Chonburi including Pattaya area and Bangkok.

So, what ever precaution one feels is necessary I personally will just continue and follow the safety protocols suggested.

Well said. 

Stay home and let them that wants to get infected go out and about. This is why it spreading more. No movement will bring it to a stop. Until they realize this it’s going to get bigger. 

Right now you don’t know who has it since people has been traveling over the holidays.  The only thing that is important is they tell the people of the locations those are infected went and when.

These places need to be shut down and warn all to stay home until they know for sure they are infected. Basically, count the days from the report date and wait it out. If they start having symptoms, call for them to come and test. 

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds to me like they are separating out the Non-Thai, Non Quarantine cases instead of combining them in one total Statistic.  Is this to save face or what is the reason they are not combining all of the tests from all of the provinces.  A clear picture is needed. So one can see what is happening and to make an informed decision as to sequester ones self or just continue with daily life, albeit there are certain closures.

The numbers are totalled when it comes to the number in the nation, and when the number reported into "worldOmeter", but it might be of interest to know how the virus spread between different groups, just like in provinces or even districts in a province, as the new outbreak is supposed to originate from Myanmar migrant workers.

They have sometimes done the same in my Scandinavian home country, by separating number from migrants/refuges and ethnic population, as the virus seemed to spread faster between the non ethnic group due to a different life-style. Perhaps my home country (also) wished to save face...:whistling:

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

And had probably been there since the beginning but failed to be tested for !

Exactly, if they continue testing the number of new cases will continue to skyrocket. Conversely stop testing and like magic the numbers go down. Funny how that works.????

There should be, there should be, The numbers don't add up, the numbers don't add up

Watch the twice daily report on Thai TV & it is crystal clear,

Some of you folks have nothing to do but Thai bash & your home country has done ne better unless you come from where I do.

The UK (an island had more cases yesterday than Thailand in 10 months

4 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Watch the twice daily report on Thai TV & it is crystal clear,

You must be dreaming.  That must be why there was the addition of those 500+ cases in Samut Sakhon that included migrants and Thais late in the day.  No cohesiveness in reporting and no its not Thai bashing.  It is called wanting to have a clear understanding and transparency which is severely lacking.  Give it a go, be transparent and only have one talking head give updates.  Maybe the total daily report should be at 5 or 6 pm instead of at Noon or shortly thereafter if all the case reports have not been obtained by the regional provincial facilities which then report to the MOPH.  Just an idea.

• Thanks 1

I was just informed by a relative of my wife, who works in the provincial government, that as of tomorrow, the whole country is locking down. We has a trip planned to Korat and Chaiyaphum, and we would have been stopped on the highway, and quarantined for 14 days, from what I was told. He said there will be a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all people entering any province.

A rather strong move, but likely necessary, after yesterday's numbers were revealed. Had Prayuth and his team been on the ball, this would have happened in Samut Sakorn immediately, when the outbreak happened, and it would have likely been contained.

He and his utterly hapless and stunningly incompetent army have failed us once again, and he needs to admit the failure, apologize to the nation, and fall on his sword, metaphorically, by handing in his resignation, in utter humiliation. 

A speech to the nation. "I am so sorry. I could have stopped this from happening. Same goes for my health minister. We are both handing in our resignation, starting tomorrow. We really dropped the ball, and failed. It is the right thing to do. I now realize both myself and Anutin have been way over our heads, this entire time. We take responsibility. Forgive us, if u can, but we will never forgive ourselves for failing you, the people of Thailand. 

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I was just informed by a relative of my wife, who works in the provincial government, that as of tomorrow, the whole country is locking down. We has a trip planned to Korat and Chaiyaphum, and we would have been stopped on the highway, and quarantined for 14 days, from what I was told. He said there will be a mandatory 14 day quarantine for all people entering any province.

A rather strong move, but likely necessary, after yesterday's numbers were revealed. Had Prayuth and his team been on the ball, this would have happened in Samut Sakorn immediately, when the outbreak happened, and it would have likely been contained.

He and his utterly hapless and stunningly incompetent army have failed us once again, and he needs to admit the failure, apologize to the nation, and fall on his sword, metaphorically, by handing in his resignation, in utter humiliation. 

A speech to the nation. "I am so sorry. I could have stopped this from happening. Same goes for my health minister. We are both handing in our resignation, starting tomorrow. We really dropped the ball, and failed. It is the right thing to do. I now realize both myself and Anutin have been way over our heads, this entire time. We take responsibility. Forgive us, if u can, but we will never forgive ourselves for failing you, the people of Thailand. 

Why believe rumours?  

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why believe rumours?  

Not a rumor. My wife's father is a provincial authority. This is coming from the top. Starts tomorrow. Nationwide lockdown. 

This all happened due to sheer stupidity and stunning greed. Thailand is really going into a world of hurt now. Tourism will not recover for years and domestic tourism just died. Millions of jobs lost.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1