Chiang Mai neighbourhoods suitable for Mr Magoo

Wandering Brit

Hi.

I lived in BKK 20 years ago for a few years and met Mrs Wandering, who is originally from CM but had been studying in the US and working in BKK. We have since been, well, wandering around the world with my work but are starting to think about retirement location given that my company is putting me out to grass in six months or so. CM seems a very reasonable option - I still have lots of friends in Asia and the airport connections are pretty good, and we would be close to Mrs W's extended family and school-friends, who are all very nice. 

We would want a house with 3 or 4 bedrooms, a garden and ideally a pool. I've looked into prices a bit and that doesn't seem to be an issue. What I don't know much about is the various areas / suburbs. 

My main concern is that I can't drive (eyesight issues - not too bad, but not safe behind the wheel!). I don't want to be totally dependent on Mrs W to ferry me around, so location is important: not too far out / isolated and I would prefer somewhere where I might be able to walk to a few shops/restaurants/pubs, or at least has plenty of taxis etc. to ferry me around. Somewhere where there is a bit of a mix of Thai and farang residents would be ideal.

Any pointers would be great!

Thanks.

• Like 1

Grab works very good here. If you meet a driver you like, get his cell fone number.

Then when you need a ride you don't call Grab you call him direct.

This opens up the possibility of many more drivers if your favorite is busy. His friends, friends of friends, ... You soon will have a list, and some will have SUV's and Vans too if you need to carry a crew with you.

And this in turns opens up a whole lot more areas to consider in your search - transport issue solved.

• Like 1

Come here at the beginning of March and spend 3 months. Just rent a condo for that time.

Frankly, the air quality during that time now (these past years) is shocking. My guess is that you will not want to settle here. I have been living in CM for eight years and am now seriously thinking of where to live during the bad air times -- although I have to say that the smoke and air pollution is starting to creep in far earlier than ever before. 

Here is a look at the air quality right now: 

1129262151_CMairpollutionJan42021.png.a0ce552679f53a8f0a11cf9f7416223a.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies all. Yes, renting first is a good idea and good to hear about Grab being in CM.

I note the comments about pollution. I was under the impression that was seasonal and, if so, one very workable option for us would be simply to avoid it (we will likely keep a small flat in London and will travel quite a bit anyway I guess). 

Pattaya is a better retirement option. It has a much better 'retirement infrastructure' than CM. Driving is not necessary there is lots of public transport. It is also less polluted. Roi et is another retirement option. As for CM there is a CM thread here but having been there I can not think of any reason to settle there at all.

Don't hold your breath about travel just yet. Thailand had zero local/domestic cases for about 4 months before illegal entry across the Burmese border changed that. Thailand has the idea that there should be zero cases forever. Since this is impossible, don't expect the travel industry to spark back up this year or...well, who knows? 

I lived many years in Samui and that was a joy. I don't know why you chose Chiang Mai, but there are many other options here. Prachuap Khiri Khan being one you ought to explore (the town, not the province). 

...and no one is high-jacking the thread; it's information that is useful for someone who apparently is unfamiliar with Thailand and the situation in the North. 

16 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

...and no one is high-jacking the thread; it's information that is useful for someone who apparently is unfamiliar with Thailand and the situation in the North. 

Thread title -

And talk shifts about bad air

No neighborhood in greater CNX labeled "bad air quality" that I know of.

Seems off topic to me - altho hard to see for all the haze generated by the Oh Woe is Me brigade

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, canthai55 said:

Thread title -

And talk shifts about bad air

No neighborhood in greater CNX labeled "bad air quality" that I know of.

Seems off topic to me - altho hard to see for all the haze generated by the Oh Woe is Me brigade

Mmmmm....

Screen Shot 2564-01-04 at 09.35.47.png

The smog is just starting, Doi suthep is already just a shadow in the mist, I expect it to steadily get worse until Songkran (April).

i'm not expecting easy travel to be around for at least 4 years, if ever.

But the 1,200bht direct flights (one way) to Da Nang/Saigon/HaNoi were great while they lasted.

And the more expensive 2,500bht indirect flights to Phnom Penh/Siem Reap were pretty good too. 

white folk and the bars/restaurants that catered to them nearly all gone, suspect few will return in the near future.

Good riddance to the greedy blighters IMHO, plenty of Thai places everywhere at a fraction of the price.

Never saw the point in my own pool, unless you're super rich and rolling in cash, plenty of public ones around for 40-50bht a swim.

And if your eyesight is really too bad to drive, your only real option is around the moat, within the superhighway ring ...... no thanks, I've always preferred to be out of town, Hang Dong, Doi Sakett, Mae Rim, San Sai, Maejo.

Edited by BritManToo

Answer: None unless you really enjoy bad air for 3 to 4 months of the year and stifling heat during most of that time. But since you can't see well enough, maybe you won't notice. 

If, however, you don't mind the pollution (and there are many other considerations since you were here 20 years ago, but that might be off topic to bring up), live anywhere a Grab will come to you, which is most places. 

BINGO! Asked and answered. Can close the thread now. ????

• Thanks 1

Banwangtan has a good mix of Thai's and Farang and is reasonably located for using such as Grab. 15 minutes to airport, 10 minutes to BigC, Makro etc.

Good choice of property of all shapes ,sizes,prices.

And yes, 3-4 months of the year the air quality sucks.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Wandering Brit said:

Hi.

I lived in BKK 20 years ago for a few years and met Mrs Wandering, who is originally from CM but had been studying in the US and working in BKK. We have since been, well, wandering around the world with my work but are starting to think about retirement location given that my company is putting me out to grass in six months or so. CM seems a very reasonable option - I still have lots of friends in Asia and the airport connections are pretty good, and we would be close to Mrs W's extended family and school-friends, who are all very nice. 

We would want a house with 3 or 4 bedrooms, a garden and ideally a pool. I've looked into prices a bit and that doesn't seem to be an issue. What I don't know much about is the various areas / suburbs. 

My main concern is that I can't drive (eyesight issues - not too bad, but not safe behind the wheel!). I don't want to be totally dependent on Mrs W to ferry me around, so location is important: not too far out / isolated and I would prefer somewhere where I might be able to walk to a few shops/restaurants/pubs, or at least has plenty of taxis etc. to ferry me around. Somewhere where there is a bit of a mix of Thai and farang residents would be ideal.

Any pointers would be great!

Thanks.

Are you thinking of renting, or buying? To me, it would make sense to rent on a minimum lease until you found an area you liked.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Don't hold your breath about travel just yet. Thailand had zero local/domestic cases for about 4 months before illegal entry across the Burmese border changed that. Thailand has the idea that there should be zero cases forever. Since this is impossible, don't expect the travel industry to spark back up this year or...well, who knows? 

I lived many years in Samui and that was a joy. I don't know why you chose Chiang Mai, but there are many other options here. Prachuap Khiri Khan being one you ought to explore (the town, not the province). 

Thanks for the info re Travel. This is not an urgent thing though, just planning ahead for, likely, a couple of years time.

Thinking of CM because my wife's family are there and so are her school friends. Also, I lived in Thailand for 3 years, albeit in BKK and way back when (1997-2000). Still have friends there and retained membership of the British Club (which cost nothing to do so why not) just in case.  I go back every year though for a couple of weeks, Covid permitting, usually half the time in BKK seeing friends etc. and half CM, Hua Hin etc. So I am reasonably well-acquainted with the place in general though not CM to any great extent, hence the questions!

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Are you thinking of renting, or buying? To me, it would make sense to rent on a minimum lease until you found an area you liked.

Thanks.

Buying: but I think is good advice to rent first just to be sure it works for us in general and to have time to properly explore the area options.

12 hours ago, Nout said:

Pattaya is a better retirement option. It has a much better 'retirement infrastructure' than CM. Driving is not necessary there is lots of public transport. It is also less polluted. Roi et is another retirement option. As for CM there is a CM thread here but having been there I can not think of any reason to settle there at all.

Pattaya is most definitely NOT an option. I have a Thai 'uncle' there who, shall we say, owns a diverse range of businesses and last time I was there drove me, my wife and my mother-in-law down the strip waving at his 'contractors' and shouting words to effect of 'hey girls, do you like my nephew?'!  In short, Mrs Wandering would not be keen. Also, I have the complexion of a glass of milk - beaches are my enemy. 

13 minutes ago, Wandering Brit said:

Pattaya is most definitely NOT an option. I have a Thai 'uncle' there who, shall we say, owns a diverse range of businesses and last time I was there drove me, my wife and my mother-in-law down the strip waving at his 'contractors' and shouting words to effect of 'hey girls, do you like my nephew?'!

When the TVF Pattayites get wind of this, you may gain some 'friends'.

17 hours ago, Nout said:

The reason to live in CM is because it isn't Pattaya

• Like 1

If the air pollution is a problem leave for a couple of months. I have been here 10 years with no plans to leave. I own a very good air cleaner.which make staying at home ok, go out when it clears a bit. My wife likes living around the old city. Live in a serviced apartment for a while look around and find what you want. Good luck in your search. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 7:58 PM, Thailand said:

Banwangtan has a good mix of Thai's and Farang and is reasonably located for using such as Grab. 15 minutes to airport, 10 minutes to BigC, Makro etc.

Good choice of property of all shapes ,sizes,prices.

And yes, 3-4 months of the year the air quality sucks.

Ban Wangtan is directly under the flight path for Chiangmai Airport. If he's also deaf maybe an option.