CONFIRMED: Increased restrictions for 28 provinces now approved by PM

Jonathan Fairfield

CONFIRMED: Increased restrictions for 28 provinces now approved by PM

breaking news banner V2.png

A new set of measures in 28 provinces in Thailand aimed at containing the new wave of coronavirus infections are now in effect after being approved by the Prime Minister and published in the Royal Gazette late on Sunday.

The measures include restrictions on cross provincial travel, the closure of schools and educational institutions and a ban on serving alcohol in restaurants. Buildings or premises that are deemed high risk of spreading the virus, such as fitness centres or spas, will also have to close.

People who live in the 28 provinces (listed below) now deemed ‘red zones’ are advised to not travel to other provinces unless absolutely necessary. Anyone travelling across provinces must show proof of why they are travelling. 

Bars and pubs are ordered to close, restaurants can remain open but are not allowed to serve alcohol.

Businesses must tell staff to work from home, where possible, alternatively they can ask staff to work staggered hours or alternative days. 

It is not immediately clear if beaches can remain open.

The new measures also give provincial governors the power to impose their own restrictions and can close any premises or businesses that they deem necessary to help prevent the spread of the virus. Therefore, the restrictions may differ slightly from province to province. 

However, shopping malls, markets, supermarkets and community malls can remain open but strict screening and disease control measures must be in place. 

Provinces now in the highly controlled’ (red) zone:

Ang Thong, Ayutthaya, Bangkok, Chachoengsao, Chanthaburi, Chonburi, Chumphon, Kanchanaburi, Lopburi, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Phetchaburi, Prachinburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Ranong, Ratchaburi, Rayong, Sakeao, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Saraburi, Singburi, Suphanburi, Tak and Trat.

New COVID-19 restrictions summary

• No cross provincial travel unless absolutely necessary
  • Schools closed
  • Bars, pubs closed
  • Venues at risk of spreading virus - gyms, spas etc closed
  • Restaurants can open for dine in, but not allowed to serve alcohol
  • Work from home where possible
  • Shopping malls, supermarkets can remain open
  • Immigration offices remain open
  • Provincial governors can also impose their own restrictions

This is a developing news story. This post may be updated without notice

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-04

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Irrumator said:

Looks like my paid-for birthday trip to Koh Lanta at the end of the month is off.  ???? 

The flight was already delayed from last July and I think will be OK, but I hope I can get the hotel and car hire fees refunded ...

Yep, you can forget that most likely, Hope you manage get your money back though!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Once they discover Covid cases in all of the other provinces across Thailand , i'm sure there will be a nationwide lockdown within the next few days. 
Once that happens, we will then see Alcohol bans as well. Maybe a good time to stock up for those who like a drink? 

Don't forget the curfew too for good measure...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, bino said:

I am expecting that the number of cases will explode nationwide over the next two weeks, caused by the sheer number of people who traveled to gatherings and parties with family and loved ones over the New Year, with little regard for social distancing.

Expect tougher restrictions and more lockdowns coming soon. I'm imposing them on myself already.

Same here...taking a grab to Big-C to get some food and then back home to my self isolation....sigh and then cutting the grass

• Like 1

Strange i am in Hua Hin (Prachuap) and in the red zone although according to the CCSA there are zero cases here.

I am guessing it's to stop the tourists from Bangkok coming in the weekend, let's see if people from neighboring Cha Am which is in a different province can still come shopping here.

• Like 2