CONFIRMED: Increased restrictions for 28 provinces now approved by PM

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, lavender19 said:

So can anyone tell me how they have designated red zones. Chumphon, Prachuap, Ranong  have very few case but are in the red zone why

There's 1 confirmed case in Hua Hin, she came down from Nonthaburi at the same time 1000's of others came for the New Years holiday.

They came, did their new year break for a few days and now they've all left and returned home.

Hua Hin is a giant mixing pot in that respect. They come from all over, North and South, stay for a few days then return to wherever they came from, I wonder how many locals became infected over New Year, we should know within the next 10 days or so.

all these people on here saying they should have a 2 week lockdown, you dont realise it will be a lot longer than 2 wks ,as the last lockdown here was only meant to be for 2 wks.

and in this short space of time they are actually having more cases already than they was when they had the first lockdown. so be careful what you wish for

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VBF said:

Same as in the UK - we're constantly being told about the number of cases.

But IMO, cases should only be used where people are actually sick - those who are tested positive but asymptomatic should surely be referred to as "infected people"

We know that they are still able to infect others but with Covid there is a huge difference between "cases" and  "infected people"

Yes. There is sense in that.

50,,000 people have been infected. 250 are sick and have been taken to hospital.

Although as the numbers infected rise it would follow that those ending up in hospital will rise, usually a week or two ? later.

Difficult one to decide on. 

Does reporting a large number of infections scare people into wearing a mask etc all day, or is it the number in hospital that surely nobody wants?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Once they discover Covid cases in all of the other provinces across Thailand , i'm sure there will be a nationwide lockdown within the next few days. 
Once that happens, we will then see Alcohol bans as well. Maybe a good time to stock up for those who like a drink? 

For sure; there is a tendency towards a new 'situation' with date around mid January. See what is going on in Europe. Crazy plans are made and the PCR test is still a controversial test.

It's winter time and the flu/influenza should be on the rise but is actually gone. Many answer to that available on the web. Research.

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, the Government offices such as immigration are left opened and will be crowded after the long holiday week and weekend, and not just at CW but at the outlying immigration locations where the 4 border countries need to apply for their visas or do 90 day reports.  Silly really.

Jomtien Immigration today, not crowded at all. 

But you are right, some silly Farangs without the right paperwork wasting the time of everybody. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Although I highly commend the Thai Governmetn in their swift effective handling of this new CV19 outbreak, I would like to add a couple of valid points which if were implemented would keep the population more onside with respecting and complying with the necessary and sensible lockdown measures.

Firstly alcohol does not cause the spread of the virus and in fact is an inhibitor if anything at all.  I drink so little it does not bother me personally though I respect it does bother many.  But why I cannot buy say a beer or a glass of wine with my meal is incredibly OTT and should be repealed immediately IMHO.  Sure I hear this would not be fair on bars, but then why close bars anyway as long as they impose mask wearing (when not drinking of course) and social distancing and of course sensibly limit the number of people in an enclosed indoor bar at any one time.  This should be a good use for the RTP to do a necessary and good public service job in imposing such sensible lockdown laws but must be monitored carefully so today no more corruption occurs with such a necessary task.

Secondly beaches !!!  Why the hell even consider closing beaches as long as social distancing is respected and enough control to restrict crowding on popular beaches?  Down here in Rayong province there are hundreds of kilometres of deserted unspoilt beaches where the fresh sea air is conducive to NOT spreading CV19.  The beachside small restaurants also serving beer and other refreshments should not cause a breach of social distancing laws either.

Finally I am glad to see they have not imposed a totally unnecessary curfew as the social distancing laws if well invoked are more than enough to make curfews totally unnecessary and anyway they are very unpopular too.

So the main reasons why they are doing so very well here is strict social distancing laws, mask wearing in public places, and the most important of all keeping the borders closed with strict quarantine restrictions imposed on those deemed neccessary to be allowed to enter the country. That MUST of course include the land borders, which do need intense policing of course and the strict control of any more lax immigration officials on these border immigration stations.  In comparison to those most needed controls, the rest of the restrictions are IMHO superfluous, often OTT and can be more destructive than constructive. 

Just my two pence worth. I am still very happy that I live here in Thailand and still must add that I would rather they did too much then too little when it comes to important potential life saving and suffering reduction CV19 lockdown controls.

33 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

For sure; there is a tendency towards a new 'situation' with date around mid January. See what is going on in Europe. Crazy plans are made and the PCR test is still a controversial test.

It's winter time and the flu/influenza should be on the rise but is actually gone. Many answer to that available on the web. Research.

Maybe the lack of normal flu infections is down because of masks and social distancing of course hmmmm .  Remember too that normal flu and cold viruses are far less inectious I understand than CV19  Perfectly logical to me.  PCR tests are I understand very good if properly used and not misused to prove a political point !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

i like the words, could, maybe , possibly, should, they make some posts sound so good

why would there be an explosion of cases ?

we know that many people have the infections, even from 9 months ago, though due to lack of testing, no idea of the numbers, yet we only have 63 deaths ? if we have not had many deaths in the last 9 months, why do you think we will suddenly get a massive deaths rate now ?

yes, if they continue to increase the testing, then the infection rate will rise, but that does not in any way, equate to the death rate , does it ?

I don't believe there has been covid in Thailand for the reason why would the government try to keep it quiet? For it to be around that long any cases reaching hospital would need to be hushed up by the government. The best way for them to  stop the street protests would be declare another covid situation so I can't understand why they would try and keep it quiet when an outbreak  would be an easy way to stop the students and blame them for the outbreak.

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Lets hope they don't try to outdo each other like they did last time.

If they had succeeded in out-doing each before Christmas, the country would be in the mess it now is nor in the even bigger mess it will be in in a week or two and months to follow.   The government had the balls to cancel Songkran 2020, which worked outstandingly well.   Shame it lost those balls come December.   Many will get sick and many of those will die over the next 4 months if they don't find where they put them pronto. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Government tightens curbs to control Covid-19

Destroy small and medium retail businesses by forcefully closing virtually all of them.

Expand and transfer wealth from forcefully closed small and medium independent retailers to large corporate enterprises by only allowing large corporate chain stores, malls, and franchises to remain open.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Arizona: 17k cases yesterday.  California 45k.  UK 50k. 

Yeah, we're in pretty good shape here.  Probably the safest is Tristan da Cunha.  Middle of nowhere, zero cases, and totally closed to the outside world now. LOL

Nah ,I think Rockall is best bet !

13 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Yep, you can forget that most likely, Hope you manage get your money back though!

I just don't understand why Farangs seem to operate in thailand as nothing is happening and believe all is well by the government rules.

stop making local vacation trips or planning  your trip to the expensive restautrant just because you have money.

money in Pandemic situation are useless.  

The good days in thailand making a lot of money and enjoy bars, women and beaches are over.

• Confused 2

13 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Once they discover Covid cases in all of the other provinces across Thailand , i'm sure there will be a nationwide lockdown within the next few days. 
Once that happens, we will then see Alcohol bans as well. Maybe a good time to stock up for those who like a drink? 

yeah, buuuuuuuuuuuuyyyyyyyyyyy, piiiiiiiiiiiiiiileeeee

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

However, the Government offices such as immigration are left opened and will be crowded after the long holiday week and weekend, and not just at CW but at the outlying immigration locations where the 4 border countries need to apply for their visas or do 90 day reports.  Silly really.

This is how they plan to deflect blame and pin the second wave on us now ????

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Yes. There is sense in that.

50,,000 people have been infected. 250 are sick and have been taken to hospital.

Although as the numbers infected rise it would follow that those ending up in hospital will rise, usually a week or two ? later.

Difficult one to decide on. 

Does reporting a large number of infections scare people into wearing a mask etc all day, or is it the number in hospital that surely nobody wants?

Indeed we seem to broadly agree, but one small point:

You say "Although as the numbers infected rise it would follow that those ending up in hospital will rise, usually a week or two ? later."

You'd think so, but so far the evidence seems to suggest that "Although as the numbers infected rise, a small proportion of those end up in hospital ......."

Which is the point I was making being that the majority remain asymptomatic - hence my distinction between cases and infected people.

But I think, your last sentence sums it up i.e. part of the intention is to scare people in one way or another. Witness Prof Whitty's comment about 4000 people a day dying - that turned out to be a worst case projection, never intended for the public.

The trouble is, that if Government gives out misleading (I'm being kind here) figures, when they turn out to be so inaccurate, people will stop believing anything they say on the subject. This is happening in UK - a case of "crying wolf"

Edited by VBF

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It's all silly really......  But who's gonna pull the plug ?    

7 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Says restaurants are allowed to open I can’t serve alcohol can somebody please explain that to me thank you

I believe it's mostly to avoid people treating a restaurant as a bar, and bars exploiting it as a loophole by serving food. Both seen during the last lockdown. There's no point closing bars, if restaurants continue to operate ostensibly as bars (and worse, get overcrowded as a result).

15 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

why the ban on alcohol in restaurants again?

is it still relating to that 3am nightclub incident where people shared a drink on the dancefloor?

Why should pubs and bars be forced to close, but allow restaurants to sell alcohol?  As before, in the 3 days that this was the case, the restaurants took the p**s & became bars.  Personally I think they should lockdown the whole lot.  Not sure if COVID differentiates between people eating or drinking alcohol. 

Of course the really stupid thing is that massage parlours are still allowed to operate.  I'm pretty sure people get a lot more up close and personal in them than in most bars and restaurants.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Falcon said:

I really have no idea on who thinks of this rubbish and the idiot who signs off on it all has very little brain power left, if he had any at any time prior of course gym must be closed but markets are open but must follow Covid-19 rules?? Gyms are easy to police and stay with protocol for Covid-19 rules but how can markets be? Our local market is a big market, has no way to enforce, nor even tries to, enforce wearing a mask or perform the usual temperature check with people in close proximity to everyone else, fish being killed and blood and guts galore, f”resh” meat in the open with everyone passing by it and risk of huge infection, etc. restaurants can open but no alcohol??? I don’t drink so it doesn’t matter to me either way but how ridiculous. What is banning drinking a glass of wine or beer going to to help people stay away from Covid-19 if someone inside the restaurant already has it and is sitting there eating (without mask of course)and infecting others? What’s the difference ordering an alcoholic drink rather than a soft drink or tea/coffee/water?

People can survive without going to the gym. Hard to survive if you stop going to the market.

Lunch without alcohol - 30 minutes exposure time. Lunch with alcohol - 3 hours exposure time.

8 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

People can survive without going to the gym. Hard to survive if you stop going to the market.

Lunch without alcohol - 30 minutes exposure time. Lunch with alcohol - 3 hours exposure time.

And I've never seen anyone forget to wipe down their sweat in the produce aisle.

18 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

They want to limit drinking so that people are less likely to gather in larger groups. Also from a health point of view, drinking is known to lower the immune system. 

RUBBISH. Show us the medical evidence to prove that.!!!!