New Year "safe driving" initiative in tatters - 316 dead nearly 3,000 injuries

webfact

Drunk Driving again causes most accidents

1e77b9c20b78ba48b62c1256556f5806_small.jpg 

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Department of Probation, is enforcing stringent measures against irresponsible drivers by arresting, fining, and putting ankle bracelets on those on probation. Drunk driving is again the top cause of road accidents during the New Year holidays.

Department of Probation’s Director-General, Witthawhan Soonthornkajit, has reported the statistics collected during the department’s campaign to reduce the number of road accidents during the New Year festival, saying that the top causes of road accidents were still drunk driving and speeding. Motorcycles were also often found to have been in accidents on long straight roads, and roads in villages.

According to the statistics collected between December 29 and January 1, there were 2,365 accidents, 267 deaths, and 2,362 people were injured.

Provinces with the most accidents at this time are Chiang Mai and Songkhla with 87 cases. However, Nakhon Ratchasima had the most fatalities at 16. Meanwhile, Chiang Mai was also identified as having most injuries at 92.

During the four days of the New Year festival, the total number of irresponsible driving cases was 1,028, comprising 911 drunk driving, 100 drinking while driving, and 17 cases of careless driving.

Chaiyaphum, Ubon Ratchathani, Chanthaburi, and Buriram are the provinces with most cases of drunk driving.

nnt.jpg

~ 80% of road deaths involve motorcycles.

I'd separate that out and focus on it, in the short term. We can circle back to auto/truck/bus driving with a separate program.

People rarely offer up any concrete solutions, other than "education" or "training". Based on the state of the Thai educaiton system these feel doomed to fail.

Some options:

eliminate all motorcycles, everyone must use a bicycle. Obviously, not reasonable, but certainly open for discussion.

enforcement, ratchet up enforcement for any/all motorcycle transgressions. Impound motorbikes after a certain number of infractions. Motorbike can be redeemed after 30 days.

incentivize good behavior: reward people financially for good driving. Maybe offer rebates on fuel, and/or repairs.

Yes, I get that there are many poor people here, and that they rely on motrcycles for their daily life (and death).

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, kotsak said:

Just look at the driving behaviour in the OP photo and you know the reason why.. How many traffic violations in a single bloody photo..

Yeah but if you were a passenger in that Taximeter would you not want the driver to get you to your final destination ASAP ?

• Sad 2

What failed ?  They didn't do anything other than what they normally do; talk a lot and stand people around like stuffed dummy's.  Other than that it was old men in little tents by the side of the road offering 'advice' to Motorists when they know nothing themselves about road safety !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2long said:

"28,884 people did not even have licences."  ????

Now in any civilised country with a similar population I don't think the cops could find that many unlicensed drivers in a year!

And that's only the ones they stopped !  Wonder what the real figure is ?  We all know that none of the kids riding to school have a licence, and in most cases no helmet too. But the police don't care ! The police are the problem stopping the solution !!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

It will never end, until people here are taught how to drive properly, and that would be an impossible task.

I disagree, they could stop this carnage overnight by during the 7 days reducing all roads in Thailand to 1 lane, forcing them all into 20 miles an hour !

• Confused 1

It will never end, until people here are taught how to drive properly, and that would be an impossible task.

I don't see it as an impossible task, I see it as never happening until such times as someone with enough clout and big B all's is game to take-on the problem in a meaningful way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I find it a bit strange that these statistics do not mention how many accidents involve foreigners or migrants?

Don't ask, as it will surely be the fault of those dirty, disease ridden farangs ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

True but severe punishment for DUI  speeding, not just revoking a licence and 500 baht fine, might eventually have an effect.

DUI, crush the vehicle.

Speeding, a real fine, not 500 baht.

In Phuket my friend got fined 5000 Baht, the police wanted 40,000 Baht at the roadside, my friend refused spend the night in jail and go to court in the morning

• Like 1

First you need to revamp the road infrastructure by removing U-turn  etc. Then you start  on the driver training. But the mindset of Thai drivers is something you have to change and that can be only done by confiscation of ability to drive and that is impounding there vehicle, Its no use taking the licence away they will continue to drive

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I disagree, they could stop this carnage overnight by during the 7 days reducing all roads in Thailand to 1 lane, forcing them all into 20 miles an hour !

A winka  drove into me at just 5  mph 4  months  ago, total  lack of  attention is the problem, can see it with staff working with me, they have a 1  second attention span in many cases

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

In Phuket my friend got fined 5000 Baht, the police wanted 40,000 Baht at the roadside, my friend refused spend the night in jail and go to court in the morning

Fined 5000 for being your friend is a bit harsh. ????????

Seriously,  that's not a serious fine.

To get through to most here who drink and drive it has to be a lot more, 50,000 up and as a minimum car impounded until it's paid.

• Like 1