Who has had problems by not using a VPN in Thailand?

giddyup

I have been here 11 years and download all my movies/TV from torrent sites. I don't have a VPN but have never received any kind of warning. I now have Filelinked installed and can watch Terrarium etc, am I likely to run into any problems, and has anybody without using a VPN?

I haven't had any problems in nearly 20 years, and have about 5 TB of films and TV programs downloaded. I started using Hola on one of my laptops only recently so I can watch news channels from the US.

Someone I know in Canada was using a VPN while torrenting, but didn't change the country. So his IP got detected and he was sent a letter from his ISP stating that they had been informed by someone of a copyright infringement associated with his Internet connection, but they did not identify him to the copyright holder, which was nice of them.

He has stopped doing it now. 

1 minute ago, JetsetBkk said:

Interesting... maybe it's your particular ISP that's monitoring your activity.

No, there is certain content that is only licensed for showing in a particular country. For instance, the content of Netflix in Thailand is not the same as in The US

"Your Netflix subscription will gain you entry to any Netflix gateway around the world. However, your content selection will be limited to whatever is licensed for the country you are residing in. That means that, while you are visiting Thailand, you're locked out of the U.S. version of the streaming service.

https://pixelprivacy.com/vpn/streaming/netflix/watch-american-netflix-thailand/#:~:text=Your Netflix subscription will gain,version of the streaming service.

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

No, there is certain content that is only licensed for showing in a particular country. For instance, the content of Netflix in Thailand is not the same as in The US

"Your Netflix subscription will gain you entry to any Netflix gateway around the world. However, your content selection will be limited to whatever is licensed for the country you are residing in. That means that, while you are visiting Thailand, you're locked out of the U.S. version of the streaming service.

https://pixelprivacy.com/vpn/streaming/netflix/watch-american-netflix-thailand/#:~:text=Your Netflix subscription will gain,version of the streaming service.

Ah, OK. I use a Netflix account on my smart TV that belongs to a mate. He has a 4-user subscription and, currently, I watch whatever is available in Thailand. I haven't tried watching anything else or on anything other than the TV.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 8:18 AM, JetsetBkk said:

Ah, OK. I use a Netflix account on my smart TV that belongs to a mate. He has a 4-user subscription and, currently, I watch whatever is available in Thailand. I haven't tried watching anything else or on anything other than the TV.

Netflix's Premium plan allows the subscriber, to stream to a maximum of 4 different devices at the same time.  For you to do so, you have to use his email/password and log into his subscription account. 

On 1/19/2021 at 12:41 AM, tweedledee2 said:

Netflix's Premium plan allows the subscriber, to stream to a maximum of 4 different devices at the same time.  For you to do so, you have to use his email/password and log into his subscription account. 

Yes, that's exactly what I do - he gave me his email address and Netflix password. When I first go to Netflix I see four icons with names underneath. I click the icon with my name under it so it then shows what I've been watching and lets me continue watching the previous item.