Golf Clubs Are Trying to Maintain Their Standards While Struggling to Break Even

ASEAN NOW Golf

Golf Clubs Are Trying to Maintain Their Standards While Struggling to Break Even

caption-2-gs-news-time-bevard_1540x866.jpg

Many of you have commented on a regular basis about the current cost of playing golf in Thailand.

Now with a second wave of the Corona Virus hitting the States and across Europe, international golfers will be missing in Thailand for some time.

And with the government trying to stop the virus spreading across Thailand, the future for the Thai golf industry is bleak.

Your Platform

Golf in Thailand is a platform for you the golfer to express your opinions, to post a helpful comment or even to write a review.

Naturally the most read articles, and the most popular comments, generally tend to feature the thorny subject about pricing.

We receive many promotions sent to us from the golf clubs, which we post either on the Golf Offers forum or next to the club’s own directory entry. This is to give you our viewer up to date information.

Golf in Thailand is still the new kid on the block, having only started in earnest in August 2020. However, with over 100,000 views a month, gradually the golf clubs and their staff are starting to realize, that we can hopefully work together for the benefit of all.

Some of you have commented that some courses do not seem to be adding value by lowering their packages.

Meanwhile we try to support you all, and where possible will report on a course that is in tip top condition and that is offering some great promotions, so you can benefit.

Premier League

That said, there is an invisible tier system over the 260 courses across Thailand, perhaps comparable to the Football leagues. Therefore, the elite clubs are finding it hard to reduce their rates too much, for fear of degrading their image.

Whether you like it or not they are all doing their best to maintain the courses in the best condition, but it still costs them the same if 40 play the course or 150.

We do often speak to the General Managers at the courses and they are fully aware of the demands of us golfers still here in Thailand.

Also, the Thais themselves, especially the middle classes are also earning less, and so they too are reducing the number of rounds played.

Personally, instead of reducing their rates, I think incentives would help us golfers while letting the golf courses retain their important brand image.

Vouchers for multiple rounds, free golf carts during the week, reduced rates after 2pm, even discounts in their restaurants would all help.

After the new year holidays, I am sure we will start to see some courses compete for our business, by offering promotions especially for weekday rounds.

Otherwise some may have to close or find a new buyer, as it will become harder to maintain an 18 hole course, when they have no players.

some courses think double pricing helps !

another thing:

carts should not be a major revenue driver for honest courses.

what's a decent pricing for golf carts based on TCO calculations? I would guess somewhere around 250 to 350 baht per round - but not at the moment, obviously.

Edited by tgw

I am playing more than normal for the time of year. Last year in high season (Jan/Feb anyway) I only played once or twice per week as it was too busy. I don't play weekends. So playing 3 times a week now even if the courses halved their rates I would not play more often......others of course may think differently.

There are only so many golfers and the offers mentioned will probably just move golfers from one course to another. Making caddies optional would generate how many extra rounds overall..........?

I don't know what the sweetspot is for people to play more but personally I am doubting how much of an increase in numbers they would really see until more people are able to come back.

Can't agree with those that want caddies to be made optional.  Where the majority of courses in Thailand are getting it wrong is their pricing. Here in Chiang Mai, and also Chiang Rai & Lamphun, like everywhere else there is 2 tier pricing, viz foreigner & Thai. However the courses in the mentioned provinces also have Thai resident rates, which means we pay the same as Thais. All we need to do to prove we are residents is show either our Thai drivers license of pink ID card, preferably the ID card as some courses are no longer accepting the license as proof of residency. 

From my golfing experience in Thailand since 2005, none of the courses, especially mainly in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket or Hua Hin and a couple of other provinces I've golfed in, offer Thai resident rates. Their greed is what's killing their business, as that is what's driving golfers away, not the course maintenance costs.

As an example, on Thursday I will be playing Harapunchai G C ( which I consider to be the best 9 hole course I've played here, in Australia, the UK or Europe ) and 18 holes all inclusive( green fee, caddy & cart ) is only 700 baht ( Thai & Thai resident rate ). A decent reduction on their normal price.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, smylee52 said:

To beat an old familiar drum " make caddies optional " . Choose between being a vehicle for a make work program or a legitimate golf course concerned with promoting golf and  being profitable .

Agreed,now is the time to change the whole rationale on Caddies being compulsory,there are many golfers that dont want to use a caddy,but are co-erced into using one,whether they want them or not,i believe courses would get more green fees if it was an option rather than a statutory requirement at all clubs.

I would also say that the Course's have an ideal opportunity now to get their caddies language lessons,to add some value to their service instead of sitting around talking on their mobile phones etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

Can't agree with those that want caddies to be made optional.  Where the majority of courses in Thailand are getting it wrong is their pricing. Here in Chiang Mai, and also Chiang Rai & Lamphun, like everywhere else there is 2 tier pricing, viz foreigner & Thai. However the courses in the mentioned provinces also have Thai resident rates, which means we pay the same as Thais. All we need to do to prove we are residents is show either our Thai drivers license of pink ID card, preferably the ID card as some courses are no longer accepting the license as proof of residency. 

From my golfing experience in Thailand since 2005, none of the courses, especially mainly in BKK, Pattaya, Phuket or Hua Hin and a couple of other provinces I've golfed in, offer Thai resident rates. Their greed is what's killing their business, as that is what's driving golfers away, not the course maintenance costs.

As an example, on Thursday I will be playing Harapunchai G C ( which I consider to be the best 9 hole course I've played here, in Australia, the UK or Europe ) and 18 holes all inclusive( green fee, caddy & cart ) is only 700 baht ( Thai & Thai resident rate ). A decent reduction on their normal price.

'Can't agree with those that want caddies to be made optional'

So what you are saying is,that you dont believe in freedom of choice??? Sad!

Most golf "clubs" in Thailand are owned by wealthy families , Companies or syndicates.

If they are not prepaed to weather the storm I for one do not have much sympathy for them

I am much more concerned for the very small & small businesses that I see shuttering up, many

never to be able to open again nor be able to service mortgages, hire purchase agreements nor

even know where their next lot of monies are going to come from to cover their daily living costs

I for one, as a golf "walker" whenever I can do want a caddie as I do not wish to lug my bag around 

on a pushcart in this heat

Is the argument against caddies the money ?

Caddies I use do NOT "play" on their phones all day & are vey attentive.

Suggest make a little effort if you are having trouble communicating & learn some Thai

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I for one, as a golf "walker" whenever I can do want a caddie as I do not wish to lug my bag around 

on a pushcart in this heat

Is the argument against caddies the money ?

Caddies I use do NOT "play" on their phones all day & are vey attentive.

Suggest make a little effort if you are having trouble communicating & learn some Thai

Ha, same with me.

Yes, I believe it is about the money 20 bucks is very dear to some people.

As far as getting sick from a caddie.  There is no requirement you have to be near them.  Don't like the caddie or cart, then tell them to stay away from you and carry your clubs.  Or, just walk and have them walk away from the cart and go grab the club yourself, tell them not to line up your putt and stay off the green.

It is possible to stay away from them but so sorry, you will still have to pay..

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

Haripunchai has dropped its price, it was 1000 baht six months ago. I'd agree Haripunchai is probably the best in terms of fairway grass, bunkers and greens in the Chiang Mai - Lamphun area, Santiburi in Chiang Rai is better in terms of design. IMO best 18 holes in Northern Thailand. 1600 baht including caddie and cart. Waterford Valley and Happy City are also good courses, 1000 baht each.

There are two ripoffs I object to with some golf clubs. One is charging an extra fee if you want the same caddie again, for whatever reason. I had a regular caddie at Chiang Mai's Gymkhana for several years, no problem. There's one club in Chiang Rai, and maybe more, that want to charge me 300 baht extra if I specify the caddie I want, instead of taking whoever is first in line. I'm the customer, all right?

The second ripoff is charging for my GF to walk around with me. No wear and tear on the course, not playing. Haripunchai wanted 500 baht for that privilege, pure greed. They would have got more of my custom but for that.

As far as caddies go, I was one myself as a youth, and I try to pass on my knowledge to them. I consider them good value for money.  I've observed it's usually the wood ducks and sand wrestlers that bitch about them.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Haripunchai has dropped its price, it was 1000 baht six months ago. I'd agree Haripunchai is probably the best in terms of fairway grass, bunkers and greens in the Chiang Mai - Lamphun area, Santiburi in Chiang Rai is better in terms of design. IMO best 18 holes in Northern Thailand. 1600 baht including caddie and cart. Waterford Valley and Happy City are also good courses, 1000 baht each.

There are two ripoffs I object to with some golf clubs. One is charging an extra fee if you want the same caddie again, for whatever reason. I had a regular caddie at Chiang Mai's Gymkhana for several years, no problem. There's one club in Chiang Rai, and maybe more, that want to charge me 300 baht extra if I specify the caddie I want, instead of taking whoever is first in line. I'm the customer, all right?

The second ripoff is charging for my GF to walk around with me. No wear and tear on the course, not playing. Haripunchai wanted 500 baht for that privilege, pure greed. They would have got more of my custom but for that.

As far as caddies go, I was one myself as a youth, and I try to pass on my knowledge to them. I consider them good value for money.  I've observed it's usually the wood ducks and sand wrestlers that bitch about them.

I've never paid more than 900 at Harapunchai and I've played there 6 times last year. Santiburi is a good course but overpriced and their caddies are pretty useless. I actually prefer Waterford Valley to Santiburi but again useless caddies. Not a fan of Happy City. Whilst I agree about the following fee, it's everywhere in Thailand, so no avoiding that. The only time I've encountered a requirement to pay an extra 300 for a caddy that you've booked was at Waterford. Haven't been back since. My GF likes to follow when she can and we've only ever been charged 150 at Harapunchai for that. Most other courses want either 400 or 500, so we just don't bother.

I also try to pass on basic caddying knowledge to the locals, that knowledge being gained from my 12 years as a tour caddy on the Australian PGA & LPG tours, the LET and European Seniors tours.

My real gripe about caddies here is that they are not properly trained, even on many of the better quality courses. I've been playing golf in Thailand since 2005 and I've only encountered 5 caddies that I would consider as excellent and 3 of them are here in CM and  they get paid accordingly. Most of the rest aren't even worth a 300 tip.

7 hours ago, Jimbo53 said:

'Can't agree with those that want caddies to be made optional'

So what you are saying is,that you dont believe in freedom of choice??? Sad!

not at all. Caddying here is a major form of employment for many Thais, so why should we as visitors to their country ( whether short term or long term ) have the opportunity to deny them their employment and wages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

not at all. Caddying here is a major form of employment for many Thais, so why should we as visitors to their country ( whether short term or long term ) have the opportunity to deny them their employment and wages.

Go and give yourself a good talking to!

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I've never paid more than 900 at Harapunchai and I've played there 6 times last year. Santiburi is a good course but overpriced and their caddies are pretty useless. I actually prefer Waterford Valley to Santiburi but again useless caddies. Not a fan of Happy City. Whilst I agree about the following fee, it's everywhere in Thailand, so no avoiding that. The only time I've encountered a requirement to pay an extra 300 for a caddy that you've booked was at Waterford. Haven't been back since. My GF likes to follow when she can and we've only ever been charged 150 at Harapunchai for that. Most other courses want either 400 or 500, so we just don't bother.

I also try to pass on basic caddying knowledge to the locals, that knowledge being gained from my 12 years as a tour caddy on the Australian PGA & LPG tours, the LET and European Seniors tours.

My real gripe about caddies here is that they are not properly trained, even on many of the better quality courses. I've been playing golf in Thailand since 2005 and I've only encountered 5 caddies that I would consider as excellent and 3 of them are here in CM and  they get paid accordingly. Most of the rest aren't even worth a 300 tip.

IMO Happy City has better fairway grass than Waterford Valley, which seems to be a mix of introduced and native. The 300 extra for booking also applies at Happy City.

I'm probably more easy-going with caddies than you are, I read greens myself and do my own club selection. That way, I only have myself to blame, but I'm right most times.

I'm not sure how anyone can expect caddies to be well trained, when I look at what happens on Thai roads.

21 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I do not pass on cooking tips to chefs after I pay them for a meal . I do not pass along basic haircutting techniques to a barber after I paid him to cut my hair . I do not suggest different stitch patterns to my tailor after I pay him for a new shirt he just made for me .   

Why would I want to teach a caddie how to caddie when I just paid the equivalent of a nurses daily wage for

this individual to do next to nothing for me.

You agree how useless they are but don't think they should be optional . Mystifying .

BTW I can just see them rolling their eyes as soon as you turn your back after passing on your golf knowledge . I've seen it too many times .  The vast majority of these so called caddies DO NOT GIVE A <deleted> about your golf game unless they have a 20 baht side bet on who will be the low score in the foursome or if you are a bigger fish and tip when you get a birdie .

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, smylee52 said:

BTW I can just see them rolling their eyes as soon as you turn your back after passing on your golf knowledge . I've seen it too many times .  The vast majority of these so called caddies DO NOT GIVE A <deleted> about your golf game unless they have a 20 baht side bet on who will be the low score in the foursome or if you are a bigger fish and tip when you get a birdie .

I only had two caddies who disrespected me by failing to turn up at the first tee on time. The first I fired on the spot. The second was told by me if she did it again, she would be fired too. She turned up 20 minutes early every time after that.

Some caddies want to learn from me, they can see I know what I am doing. I don't worry about the ones that don't, life's too short.

I tip more than the regulation, because I used to be a caddie myself. I wasn't in the position of needing to work at caddying for a living.

You can cook, sew and do hairdressing as well as golf? Congratulations, you are a multi-talented person. If you could play Bach organ music as well..........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I only had two caddies who disrespected me by failing to turn up at the first tee on time. The first I fired on the spot. The second was told by me if she did it again, she would be fired too. She turned up 20 minutes early every time after that.

Some caddies want to learn from me, they can see I know what I am doing. I don't worry about the ones that don't, life's too short.

I tip more than the regulation, because I used to be a caddie myself. I wasn't in the position of needing to work at caddying for a living.

You can cook, sew and do hairdressing as well as golf? Congratulations, you are a multi-talented person. If you could play Bach organ music as well..........

No to the music but the rest has been a blessing during this pandemic    ????

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, smylee52 said:

No to the music but the rest has been a blessing during this pandemic    ????

And a sense of humor as well, some posters don't realize I am just pulling their leg. Stay well and good golfing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

So, this has nothing to do with Thailand?

Because the logistics of a course/caddie/player here would not have you waiting on the first tee ready to fire them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Because the logistics of a course/caddie/player here would not have you waiting on the first tee ready to fire them.

Gymkhana Golf Club, Chiang Mai. One can book caddies there without a booking fee.

What a ridiculous set of examples you have provided, which in no way are related to mentoring and helping a caddy become better at what they do. 

On 1/6/2021 at 3:42 PM, smylee52 said:

I do not pass on cooking tips to chefs after I pay them for a meal .

Would you not complain to the restaurant if the food was uncooked or tasted awful ?

I do not pass along basic haircutting techniques to a barber after I paid him to cut my hair .

You don’t tell the hair dresser how you would like your hair cut ?

I do not suggest different stitch patterns to my tailor after I pay him for a new shirt he just made for me .   

Do you not tell the tailor what style of shirt you would like, the fit, the buttons, pockets, the cuffs, the tail ?

Why would I want to teach a caddie how to caddie when I just paid the equivalent of a nurses daily wage for

this individual to do next to nothing for me.

Because you're paying for a Caddy for the service of Caddying. If you are happy with them only carrying your clubs, fine. For many however, they’d like their caddy to walk over from the other side of the fairway with the correct range of clubs from which to select for your shot. 

You agree how useless they are but don't think they should be optional . Mystifying .

I also would rather not have a Caddy. A lot of them have been useless. The ones who have been good have either been well trained by other good caddies or by golfers themselves. 

BTW I can just see them rolling their eyes as soon as you turn your back after passing on your golf knowledge.

You're projecting. Maybe you are used to people rolling their eyes at you. 

But, I get your point, some people are not interested in learning or improving - I’m sure many know the difference and help those who show an interest and can identity the 'eye rollers’ and not bother. 

I've seen it too many times .  The vast majority of these so called caddies DO NOT GIVE A <deleted> about your golf game unless they have a 20 baht side bet on who will be the low score in the foursome or if you are a bigger fish and tip when you get a birdie .

Agreed, when the course is poorly run. This can actually be fun on a fun day out of golf where you can have fun with friends, beers are flowing and you can have a laugh with the caddies. 

Or, if it's obvious someone is serious about their golf the caddies should be able to recognise this and behave accordingly. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 3:53 PM, Lacessit said:

For the record Harapunchai today was 600 baht for 18 holes ( green fee, caddy & cart ) and ONLY 150 baht for a follower.  When asked about the followers fee being 500 baht the reply was it has NEVER been 500 baht at Harapunchai.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Agreed it is not normal but it's possible - I say this because a couple of times I have booked a caddie and she has had an early booking and she asked me if I could wait and ended up joining me after I started.  

However I obviously had no intention of firing her as knew in advance.  

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What a ridiculous set of examples you have provided, which in no way are related to mentoring and helping a caddy become better at what they do. 

Would you not complain to the restaurant if the food was uncooked or tasted awful ?

You don’t tell the hair dresser how you would like your hair cut ?

Do you not tell the tailor what style of shirt you would like, the fit, the buttons, pockets, the cuffs, the tail ?

Because you're paying for a Caddy for the service of Caddying. If you are happy with them only carrying your clubs, fine. For many however, they’d like their caddy to walk over from the other side of the fairway with the correct range of clubs from which to select for your shot. 

I also would rather not have a Caddy. A lot of them have been useless. The ones who have been good have either been well trained by other good caddies or by golfers themselves. 

You're projecting. Maybe you are used to people rolling their eyes at you. 

But, I get your point, some people are not interested in learning or improving - I’m sure many know the difference and help those who show an interest and can identity the 'eye rollers’ and not bother. 

Agreed, when the course is poorly run. This can actually be fun on a fun day out of golf where you can have fun with friends, beers are flowing and you can have a laugh with the caddies. 

Or, if it's obvious someone is serious about their golf the caddies should be able to recognise this and behave accordingly. 

The cook , barber and tailor are not forced on me . Useless caddies are . You carry on mentoring these professionals . How many times do you need to here the same old phrases that passes off as a laugh with the caddies . You want to have a laugh . Ask a caddy if they are a professional . 

"engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime."

I have asked the question dozens of times and invariably get an emphatic "no" . Until the people in power who push this make work project  get caddies to understand there is a responsibility to know your profession when being paid for it the caddie program will continue to be a bad joke on

people getting mugged while enjoying some exercise and camaraderie .

As for your cheap shot on caddies rolling their eyes at me it never happens . They know on the first tee that I am there to enjoy my day . I explain they need to alert me to out of bounds , sand traps and hidden water hazards . Put your phone away and keep up .  I then go through the typical phrases of " caddy no good " , " up to you" , Jai dee ,  Ting Tong  so they know I am quite familiar with golfing in Thailand . 

Caddies have very easy day with me. No searching for golf balls . Missed puts are never blamed on the caddie. I don't talk their ear off because I don't need to hear another story of a husband/boyfriend killed in motorbike accident and how she supports family by working as caddie . I am somewhat amused when I get a chatty Cathy in my fourball and watch them natter away at a caddie and the look on her face is clearly "when will the barking stop ?"   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Gymkhana Golf Club, Chiang Mai. One can book caddies there without a booking fee.

Booking a caddy at any course does not guarantee that you will have that caddy when you play.

Many times we have booked, when we arrive the office tells us "no work today" or "already on course"

On 1/5/2021 at 3:44 PM, bkk6060 said:

Yes, I believe it is about the money 20 bucks is very dear to some people.

As this is a "farang" forum? I looked up fees for municiple courses in Vancouver.

18-holes $40, ($30 US), 9 holes $25 

I don't see why 600 Baht is expensive. Golf is/was never know as a cheap pastime. 

I suspect the whining from golf courses is that they can no longer fleece tourists.