3 acts of spontaneous niceness by locals

orchidfan

12 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

A couple of years ago I was walking in to Udon early on a Friday afternoon. Probably six kilometres to the bar I was going to. I knew I would be drunk, so wasn't driving, My wife was away elsewhere, so I was quite happy to walk.

After less than two km a woman on a motorbike stopped alongside me, asking where I was going. I thought she was chatting me up, so tried to ignore her.

She was persistent, so I told her I was walking into Udon. The look of horror on her face, telling me it was really dangerous!

I laughed at her, as no way could it be considered dangerous unless you were cornered by an aggressive lottery ticket seller.

Laughing at her must have made her think I was unhinged and definitely needed help.

She insisted on giving me a lift, so I accepted. She said she would drop me off at a motorbike repair shop about another kilometre away, and would call a tuk tuk.

She did just that, wouldn't accept any money and drove off. The tuk tuk turned up a few minutes later and dropped me in town.

Looking back it was kind of her, but still baffling.

Also on that same small road I sometimes used to walk to the 7 Eleven. At the time that was the nearest one, three kilometres each way. I walked just for the exercise.

A few times people would stop and try to give me a lift, as Thais don't walk anywhere. I declined every time, which I know just baffles them as to why anyone would want to walk anywhere when they didn't need to.

baffles me too. ???? 

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2021 at 3:24 AM, bluesofa said:

A couple of years ago I was walking in to Udon early on a Friday afternoon. Probably six kilometres to the bar I was going to. I knew I would be drunk, so wasn't driving, My wife was away elsewhere, so I was quite happy to walk.

After less than two km a woman on a motorbike stopped alongside me, asking where I was going. I thought she was chatting me up, so tried to ignore her.

She was persistent, so I told her I was walking into Udon. The look of horror on her face, telling me it was really dangerous!

I laughed at her, as no way could it be considered dangerous unless you were cornered by an aggressive lottery ticket seller.

Laughing at her must have made her think I was unhinged and definitely needed help.

She insisted on giving me a lift, so I accepted. She said she would drop me off at a motorbike repair shop about another kilometre away, and would call a tuk tuk.

She did just that, wouldn't accept any money and drove off. The tuk tuk turned up a few minutes later and dropped me in town.

Looking back it was kind of her, but still baffling.

Also on that same small road I sometimes used to walk to the 7 Eleven. At the time that was the nearest one, three kilometres each way. I walked just for the exercise.

A few times people would stop and try to give me a lift, as Thais don't walk anywhere. I declined every time, which I know just baffles them as to why anyone would want to walk anywhere when they didn't need to.

A got a haircut in CM and the woman said she had seen me walking by and asked why I walked. I explained for health and to keep my weight down. She pointed out her girth and said she needed to do that. I'm sure she didn't though. 555  Maybe a function of relatively new ability to not have to walk?

I'm not sure these acts are niceties as it's put, I call it common decency and I hope most people would jump in and help when seeing a problem, maybe not. I have directed traffic quite a few times, twice to get Ambulances through, once because there was a dead body in the middle of the road, with people standing on the footpath awaiting the police and the others were just for general accidents, At least once a month I direct someone in reversing in the Big C carpark, Twice I have found wallets, one I found the owner, the other handed in to the police station. I am always helping smaller people in the supermarket reach something too high up for them, all little things and done automatically, I really like to think most of the people on Thai visa would do the same, but who knows. I was bought up being told do unto others as you would have done to you, perhaps it's an old fashioned value.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JWRC said:

I'm not sure these acts are niceties as it's put, I call it common decency and I hope most people would jump in and help when seeing a problem, maybe not. I have directed traffic quite a few times, twice to get Ambulances through, once because there was a dead body in the middle of the road, with people standing on the footpath awaiting the police and the others were just for general accidents, At least once a month I direct someone in reversing in the Big C carpark, Twice I have found wallets, one I found the owner, the other handed in to the police station. I am always helping smaller people in the supermarket reach something too high up for them, all little things and done automatically, I really like to think most of the people on Thai visa would do the same, but who knows. I was bought up being told do unto others as you would have done to you, perhaps it's an old fashioned value.

I think that it's not old fashioned. I understand that the teachings of Buddha (and I'm not a follower !) prescribe all these aspects of common decency, but in my many years in TH I don't get to see too many acts by the Thai people. So yours and  the preceding posts are heartening.