Surat Thani COVID closures?

Anyone heard anything? Know where I can find out the latest info please? 

GF texted me she heard that Surat Thani had ordered a shut down. Also been told by someone else that schools ordered to close (this one is in Samui), from 5th for one week.

TIA

Edited by phetphet

31 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Also been told by someone else that schools ordered to close (this one is in Samui), from 5th for one week.

I had an email from my daughters school earlier this evening saying that the school closure was 'imminent', and would be from the 5th until the 19th...they were waiting on confirmation from the governor of Surat Thani...as of now I haven't received another email saying the school is definitely closed tomorrow

Edit:

School closure confirmed....

School.JPG

Edited by Neilly
More info

3 minutes ago, Birdman said:

Red came down to Chumphon already in just a short time. It was just a short time ago, that only Samut Sakhon was red. 

Can see too many Farangs without masks on Samui since months. What's the matter with them? Just take the mask and keep distance. Even if they wrongly think Covid does not concern them, just do it to show that you respect the Thai people.      

COVID can get here a lot quicker than via Chumphon. It's only 50 mins on a plane, and all those Bangkokians that want to get away from Bangkok don't need a pre flight COVID test.

I wonder if they will reduce the flights again as part of the restrictions on inter-provincial travel?

Trouble is that too much of COVID effects (closures, restricted hours, etc) are shared through the community by word of mouth, with no official communication in the press.

I'm not in Surat Thani, but here teachers are telling the pupils by phone no school until 1 Feb ( I got the word from the local school bus driver), and bar owners are telling customers no alcohol until 18th by order (of who), nothing is being broadcast by the PAO officially. On Saturday 1 bar said he had been ordered to close (by who ?) another was open as normal, on Sunday ditto (different bars)

2 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I wonder if they will reduce the flights again as part of the restrictions on inter-provincial travel?

During today I've seen no interprovincial buses in operation except for 2 Phetchabun/Phitsanulok buses, maybe my eyesight is no good today, but I spent an hour exercising next to the bus station (which has north/south and east/west routes running through it), and in excess of an hour travelling to/from Phetchabun, not a red zone yet as far as I know. As with next to everything else observation is the only way to find things out.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, phetphet said:

All the bars in Bangrak, by the SeaTran pier were closed by midnight last night. So there must be some truth to the rumours.

Judging by the reaction sweeping across the provinces, I think it's bound to happen sooner or later.  We shall see.  I pray Samui survives this madness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delgarcon said:

I can't speak Thai, but maybe someone could translate the directive of the Surat Thani governor

According  to GF, No.7 says bar, pub and  karaoke can open, but cannot sell alcohol. A bit pointless opening then.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Neilly said:

And this one...

Surat 4th Jan.jpg

That is correct, and that's also what I've seen, and schools have been closed from today.

However, as I've said before "there is a long way from the mainland to Samui", so not all what apply to the mainland part of the province, might also apply to Samui.

But probably nobody stops us from following our prime minister's advice to stay home the next 14 days, they are anyway not allowed to serve alcohol in restaurants and in the nightlife, whilst you seems to be welcome to drink at home...:whistling:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Guests are flying in from BKK to USM today - no issues or edicts.

And therein lies the problem. They can close the schools, bars and pubs, but if they are allowing people in from infected areas it's all a waste of time. 

This being an island, we have pretty much avoided avoided the worst of it. Extremely low cases to date. Six I think.

IMHO. If they are going to do a two week lockdown, it should be a full lockdown everywhere.

• Like 1

My personal, unscientific view is that the virus is more easily spread via contact.

Lots of people pick up the virus in quarantine.  They are locked in their rooms most of the time.

Air con?

Food trays, cleaning equipment, linen, towels etc can ALL pass on the virus unless properly disinfected.

Thais on motorbikes wearing masks - waste of time re the virus. They were wearing masks before the virus. Exhaust fumes!

A helmet with a visor is more protection on a bike. Anything else is a waste of money or for publicity.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, delgarcon said:

I can't speak Thai, but maybe someone could translate the directive of the Surat Thani governor

Here is the image translation from Google.....

Surat Thani Province summarizes urgent measures to prevent covid-19 Order 16/2554, Song 4 Jan 64, temporarily closed - Chicken fighting, fighting fish, fighting, cattle, coach, un-known, boxing stadium, Uri 1, spigot cage unt killed or pitch of a similar nature and practice cockfighting deadline - off (e. - Prof. John. holiday break 10:00 to 19:00 hrs. - Restaurant Lounge. (More than half of the normal service, there is a preventive measure) temporarily closed 5-18 Jan. Suratthani (Online teaching) Open until 9:00 PM - Shopping mall, Movie theater, Amphitheater, Food court, Community Mall, Exhibition center, Convention center, Exhibition venue or similar opening 5 times normal - Convenience Store Supermarket (open until 9:00 p.m. - Health establishment, traditional massage, Thai massage, health massage, herbal steam spa, snooker / billiards table (herbal steam can be used for 1 person per time), open until 24.00 - Entertainment places, pubs, bars, karaoke (Do not drink liquor and alcoholic beverages) Liquor and alcoholic beverages in the shop, restaurants / beverage shops of all types on C, filtering, registration - All vehicles passing through the screening point. (Inbound side of the province) 10, ask for cooperation 30 or delay walking, spreading legs, Bakht province / work from home

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Some comments from guests arriving today.

Bangkok Airways (USM) - 'just took our temperature at Bangkok'

Donsak to Samui (drove from Bangkok) - Took a photo of the Farang id (at Donsak) but not of the Thais. No temperature checks.

Scary.

But if, as interprovincial travellers they have the Morchana app, the government will know where any potential carriers have been to pass it on.

That puts my mind at rest. ????