Chiang Mai: Packed in New Year party goers flout Covid regulations

webfact

Chiang Mai: Packed in New Year party goers flout Covid regulations

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported widespread concern on social media after "Vaccine" on Facebook posted pictures of partygoers celebrating the New Year countdown at a well known pub in Chiang Mai. 

The post said forget masks and social distancing - everyone was hugging each other. 

The writers of the post poured scorn on the owners of the pub - named only as W. (ว. in Thai) who had announced that they were limiting table numbers and patrons. 

They said the people there had let down people like Dr Taveesin and PM Prayuth Chan-ocha who were clearly wasting their breath advising that people not let down their guard. They were only in it for the money, they said of the pub owners.

"There  you have it - packed in at a pub in Chiang Mai - not a care for Covid", they said igniting a wave of criticism from irate netizens.

Meanwhile, Sanook reported that five Chiang Mai pubs had been ordered shut from last night to Thursday this week because they were visited by the 50th person who had coronavirus in the province. 

Shut were the Tha Chang Cafe in Chang Pheuak, and Suthep area bars Warm-Up Cafe, Pretty Club, Infinity Club and D.C.

The staff there were told to quarantine for 14 days that got netizens in a further lather wondering if there was no staff who was going to do the serving once they reopened. 

Sanook made no connection between the Vaccine post and that of the closures. 

Source: Daily News | Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-05

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was in Chiang Mai over New Year and was surprised to see that they turned the whole old square into walking streets, with street vendors and everyone walking close to each other, despite those new regulations. No one seemed to give a damn about it. Unfortunately my hotel was right in there so I had to walk right through it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Just now, welovesundaysatspace said:

No one seemed to give a damn about it. Unfortunately my hotel was right in there so I had to walk right through it. 

This walking street at the "Old Square" (?) had unmasked people milling about? Fascinating. .Everybody I saw down at the Ping river bridges on New Years had masks..  

BTW they hold 'walking street every weekend at 2 locations (more actually) and I never see unmasked people wandering about. CIP last Sunday when I was at the Ratchadamnoen.

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

Young people only care about the party and drinking and any thoughts of anything else just isn't considered and is the same worldwide .

True, plus I wonder how well informed these people are; typically never read any news websites/never watch the news on TV/always skip news items of fb, twitter etc.

All meaning that the gov't needs to find different/better ways to keep people well informed.

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Nothing really to add. The picture showing numerous party goers not giving a damn about the consequences of being infected and infecting others by Covid 19 is enough for me to stockpile up and self quarantine for a couple of months. Which will be peaceful in splendid isolation.  

My earlier post was wrong, went into Chiang mai this morning in an attempt to secure enough basics for the potential approaching lockdown. Everyone had a mask, full security at makro and YoK enforcing masks/hand washing and recording telephone numbers.

(completely different 10Km from the centre where I live)

Managed to get enough cheese/flour/baking ingredients to survive at home for the next month.

I just need to up my alcohol stock.

Good luck everyone.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

We've been shopping in Tesco and Big C on 108 today and fairly quiet in both places.   Only queue's were in and outside of Banks which is normal as they all offer slow and pretty useless service permanently.   Didn't see a single person without a mask. 

So I just got a message from my favourite bar. Yesterday the governor issued a raft of restrictions including early closing thanks to the super-spreader food vendor woman.

So now the bar has been notified to close completely for at least 14 days starting tomorrow. An economic disaster for businesses and an illustration of just how out of control is the situation. And on top of Covid we now have seriously polluted air to add to our woes. At 8 am this morning CM was in the top 20 worst places globally, way ahead of Bangkok. Seems the governor can shut down bars but he cant shut down idiots burning biomass.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, stephenterry said:

Nothing really to add. The picture showing numerous party goers not giving a damn about the consequences of being infected and infecting others by Covid 19 is enough for me to stockpile up and self quarantine for a couple of months. Which will be peaceful in splendid isolation.  

Have nice one... 

On 1/5/2021 at 8:43 PM, brommers said:

At 8 am this morning CM was in the top 20 worst places globally, way ahead of Bangkok.

EVERY year we talk about pollution.  Every, single, year...... every.....single ..... year

it's your choice to stay or leave.   it's fun to read the complaints, since we talk about this.......................every.....................single........................year.  

Edited by Ventenio
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

EVERY year we talk about pollution.  Every, single, year...... every.....single ..... year

it's your choice to stay or leave.   it's fun to read the complaints, since we talk about this.......................every.....................single........................year.  

They've got nothing else to do

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2021 at 8:43 PM, brommers said:

And on top of Covid we now have seriously polluted air to add to our woes. At 8 am this morning CM was in the top 20 worst places globally, way ahead of Bangkok. Seems the governor can shut down bars but he cant shut down idiots burning biomass.

I can see the mountain quite clearly so not that polluted this morning.

But I did drive past 3 burning fields in different farms yesterday so it won't be long.

Edited by BritManToo