Covid outbreak: Bangkokians told to eat at home - don't linger if you have to eat out

webfact

Covid outbreak: Bangkokians told to eat at home - don't linger if you have to eat out

4pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Dr Suwannachai Wattanacharoenchai of the Public Health Department described the current situation regarding the Covid-19 outbreak as "not normal". 

He said that everyone was at risk right now.

He said that the overnight ban of 7pm to 6am (later reported as having been cut to 9pm to 6am in other media) at restaurants in Bangkok was a good thing but best of all was not to eat out at all. 

He advised people to eat at home for the time being and prepare hot, well cooked and hygienic meals. 

If people really have to go to a restaurant he advised people not to linger on the premises, just eat and go. 

Takeout was better than eating in also.

He also called for all food delivery personnel to wear masks at all times. 

He stressed the need for heightened awareness of Covid transmission at this time with all protocols followed to the letter.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-05

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He advised people to eat at home for the time being and prepare hot, well cooked and hygienic meals. 

Or just eat whatever you want. Your choice of diet will affect your overall health in the long term, but will almost certainly have no effect at all on whether you catch Covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

Or just eat whatever you want. Your choice of diet will affect your overall health in the long term, but will almost certainly have no effect at all on whether you catch Covid.

Hot, well cooked and hygienic meals; to lessen the chance of catching covid from the food.

15 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Hot, well cooked and hygienic meals; to lessen the chance of catching covid from the food.

According to WHO:

"There is currently no evidence that people can catch COVID-19 from food or food packaging. COVID-19 is a respiratory illness and the transmission route is through person-to-person contact and through direct contact with respiratory droplets generated when an infected person coughs or sneezes."

According the the US CDC:

"- The risk of getting COVID-19 from food you cook yourself or from handling and consuming food from restaurants and takeout or drive-thru meals is thought to be very low. Currently, there is no evidence that food is associated with spreading the virus that causes COVID-19.

- The risk of infection by the virus from food products, food packaging, or bags is thought to be very low. Currently, no cases of COVID-19 have been identified where infection was thought to have occurred by touching food, food packaging, or shopping bags."

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Ok class , I know you are all 5 year olds and this is your first lesson on cooking sooo , today we will look at Hot , well cooked and hygienic meals .

11 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

"- The risk of getting COVID-19 from food you cook yourself or from handling and consuming food from restaurants and takeout or drive-thru meals is thought to be very low. Currently, there is no evidence that food is associated with spreading the virus that causes COVID-19.

I wasn't commenting on whether their advice was right or wrong.  I was simply pointing out that their advice was aimed at killing the virus, not improving health to help fight the virus as your comment suggested.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Caldera said:

I wonder how many people have actually caught Covid from food. Not from socializing in restaurants, but from eating let's say uncooked foods like salads.

Experts say that any business that uses cash i.e. paper notes and coins are likely to be transmitting the covid virus .   Yes the virus has been found on many bank notes .

6 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I wasn't commenting on whether their advice was right or wrong.  I was simply pointing out that their advice was aimed at killing the virus, not improving health to help fight the virus as your comment suggested.

My apologies if that post came across as accusatory, which wasn't my intention.

As for where that advice came from, the fact that they specify "hot" and "well-cooked" would tend to support your view, since presumably high temperatures would tend to kill off viruses.

It's also the case, though, that this department has published posters every year - even well before the pandemic - exhorting people to "eat nutritious foods to stay healthy during the rainy season!", as though healthy eating - rather than keeping clear of people who are coughing and sneezing - was the key to avoiding colds and flu. So who knows what they're really getting at - that hot food kills pathogens, that folks who have healthy lifestyles generally have stronger immune systems, or both. Your guess is certainly at least as good as mine!