Tahitian Queen closed down.

Natai Beach

46 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The GP in Patpong in Bangkok was the first more than a decade earlier.

"The birth of Go-Go Clubs in Thailand.

Go-Go Dancing became popular in Thailand during the Vietnam War era. The GP Go-Go Club in Bangkok is thought to be the first Go-Go club in Thailand, it opened in 1969 and attracted an audience of local ex-pats and American G.I’s. The trend didn’t take long to spread, Bangkok’s nightlife venues, especially Patpong were soon populated with Go-Go clubs.

It was some nine years later that Pattaya’s first Go-Go bar the Tahitian Queen opened. Since that time Go-Go bars have played a major role in the history of Pattaya’s bar scene."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The GP in Patpong in Bangkok was the first more than a decade earlier.

Pattaya is where the professional A listers are. 

Bangkok, Phuket and Samui gogo girls are just overpriced amateurs.  

Got any photos?

edit I got photos from 1966 and 1970 

01568F51-279F-4E6D-AB20-9BBA958EA1FC.jpeg

554997E9-47AF-4AC1-99A9-F76427E91769.jpeg

Edited by Natai Beach
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kerryd said:

"The birth of Go-Go Clubs in Thailand.

Go-Go Dancing became popular in Thailand during the Vietnam War era. The GP Go-Go Club in Bangkok is thought to be the first Go-Go club in Thailand, it opened in 1969 and attracted an audience of local ex-pats and American G.I’s. The trend didn’t take long to spread, Bangkok’s nightlife venues, especially Patpong were soon populated with Go-Go clubs.

It was some nine years later that Pattaya’s first Go-Go bar the Tahitian Queen opened. Since that time Go-Go bars have played a major role in the history of Pattaya’s bar scene."

1969, it make totally sense now.

Finally I understand what Neil Armstrong meant by “That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”

The Go-Go bar era of course.

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2021 at 3:54 PM, Natai Beach said:

Everyone seems to be blaming the “greedy thai landlord”, but if they had decent talent and had bought some new cassette tapes they probably would have been able to afford the rent hike. 

Buy new cassette tapes?  Why?  The 8-track tapes they had were working just fine! 555

• Haha 2

On 1/6/2021 at 6:54 AM, Natai Beach said:

Everyone seems to be blaming the “greedy thai landlord”, but if they had decent talent and had bought some new cassette tapes they probably would have been able to afford the rent hike. 

A lot of the Thai landlords here have no idea of even what the physical size of their building can support, as far as profits, even with a good bar / restaurant operator as a tenant. 

Typical example, in general terms, the dreamer who buys a small tin roof beer bar with, say, 40,000 baht a month rent, but the bar is only big enough to have 12 bar stools.  Even if every bar stool is taken by customers, from 6pm to 2am, every day, there's still not enough revenue to cover expenses.  

23 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

I suggest you check your sources before 'believing' something and publishing it. 

Woody is still of this planet as of a few minutes ago when I was chatting with him on the phone.

As for other posting -it isn't a publicity stunt. They realise that it would take a long time to recover any vestige of the numbers and at their ages its just not worth the hassle of re-locating.

The land is not just about their place, its about the market alongside and behind it- its ripe for development as its a fair passle of land in a prime location. The landlord DID give them a break but in the end it has all been a bit much and the economies of scale beat them. 

Why didn't they offer it for sale?  Of course, it's difficult times to sell, but the TQ comes with a history and reputation like no other place in Pattaya.  

48 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

I suggest you check your sources before 'believing' something and publishing it. 

Woody is still of this planet as of a few minutes ago when I was chatting with him on the phone.

As for other posting -it isn't a publicity stunt. They realise that it would take a long time to recover any vestige of the numbers and at their ages its just not worth the hassle of re-locating.

The land is not just about their place, its about the market alongside and behind it- its ripe for development as its a fair passle of land in a prime location. The landlord DID give them a break but in the end it has all been a bit much and the economies of scale beat them. 

So Woody is alive. 
But the Queen is dead. 

RIP Tahitian Queen

Never forgotten

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Thanks for the breath of reality.

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

Why didn't they offer it for sale?  Of course, it's difficult times to sell, but the TQ comes with a history and reputation like no other place in Pattaya.  

Other than being the oldest GGB what might that be? Difficult and near impossible selling time in a lockdown....

15 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Perhaps a mix up of the "Woody's" around Pattaya.

Obituary: R.I.P. Greg Woodhead aka Woody - The Pattaya News

Edited by Hanuman2547

18 hours ago, Leaver said:

Typical example, in general terms, the dreamer who buys a small tin roof beer bar with, say, 40,000 baht a month rent, but the bar is only big enough to have 12 bar stools.  Even if every bar stool is taken by customers, from 6pm to 2am, every day, there's still not enough revenue to cover expenses.

12 people drinking 2 beers per hour for 8 hours per day for 30 days per month at 65 baht per beer would bring in 374,400 baht each month.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

12 people drinking 2 beers per hour for 8 hours per day for 30 days per month at 65 baht per beer would bring in 374,400 baht each month.

I would buy a bar here tomorrow, if I got the alcohol for free from the supplier.  ????

There is also a compounding factor.  On day 1 of a 30 month, say there is only 6 guys in the bar drinking 2 beers per hour for the first 4 hours of trading.  For the second 4 hours of trading, you need 18 guys in the bar, drinking 2 beers per hour, for the last 4 hours, in order to keep up with your figures.  However, the bar only sits 12.

So,  for every hour, of every day, of every, week, for the month, you don't have 12 guys in in the bar, for 8 hours, drinking 2 beers per hour, you are losing, because in order to meet sales targets towards the end of the month, you may need 100 guys in the bar, for 8 hours, drinking 2 beers per hour, but that's not going to happen when your establishment can only sit 12 customers. 

Then, out of what is made at the end of the month, after all other expenses have been deducted, the purchase price of the bar, plus key money, for the duration of the lease, has to be accounted for in each month's profit, if there is a profit.  

Many of these bars are just expensive hobbies.      

Edited by Leaver

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I would buy a bar here tomorrow, if I got the alcohol for free from the supplier.  ????

Remember, the alcohol cost is only one of many costs you have to pay, but with the revenue calculated (374,400 baht) that and a few others, including your rent of 40,000 baht, should be easily covered.

10 minutes ago, treetops said:

Remember, the alcohol cost is only one of many costs you have to pay, but with the revenue calculated (374,400 baht) that and a few others, including your rent of 40,000 baht, should be easily covered.

I was going to make a separate post, but decided to edit my reply to you.  

You replied while I was typing.

See the original post.  

For every hour there isn't 12 guys in the bar, drinking 2 beers per hour, the game changes, and the owner falls behind.  

Edited by Leaver

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Where does one get these free beers from ... come on, take off the cost and expenses.

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I was going to make a separate post, but decided to edit my reply to you.  

You replied while I was typing.

See the original post.  

Agree with all you edited in, but it's irrelevant to my initial post which was in response to you writing:

"Even if every bar stool is taken by customers, from 6pm to 2am, every day, there's still not enough revenue to cover expenses."

Simple arithmetic proves that not to be the case, even if it's theoretical pie in the sky when compared to what happens on the ground.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, treetops said:

Agree with all you edited in, but it's irrelevant to my initial post which was in response to you writing:

"Even if every bar stool is taken by customers, from 6pm to 2am, every day, there's still not enough revenue to cover expenses."

Simple arithmetic proves that not to be the case, even if it's theoretical pie in the sky when compared to what happens on the ground.

How so?

You haven't taken into account the purchase price and key money.  Longer leases are more favourable, but many leases are 3 year or 5 years.  The purchase price and key money figures have to be dived by  36 months or 60 months, and treated like an expense.  Also, there should be some money put aside, also treated like an expense, to buy the next lease, as it most likely will go up in price.  

Take the cost of the beer, the cost of the purchase price and key money, the cost of staff salary, the cost of electric, the cost of water, the cost of tea money, the cost of the DJ contribution, the cost of any repairs / maintenance / upgrades and how much is left?

Then, there's Buddha Days and Elections Day through the year, in which not 1 beer is sold, and not 1 baht made.  

Also, there is the high season / low season issue. 

Edited by Leaver

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You haven't taken into account the purchase price and key money.

I have when I wrote:

"Remember, the alcohol cost is only one of many costs you have to pay . . . . . "

Add them all up and see if you come near the theoretical figure of 374,400 baht revenue per month.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Leaver said:

There is also a compounding factor.  On day 1 of a 30 month, say there is only 6 guys in the bar drinking 2 beers per hour for the first 4 hours of trading.  For the second 4 hours of trading, you need 18 guys in the bar, drinking 2 beers per hour, for the last 4 hours, in order to keep up with your figures.  However, the bar only sits 12.

So,  for every hour, of every day, of every, week, for the month, you don't have 12 guys in in the bar, for 8 hours, drinking 2 beers per hour, you are losing, because in order to meet sales targets towards the end of the month, you may need 100 guys in the bar, for 8 hours, drinking 2 beers per hour, but that's not going to happen when your establishment can only sit 12 customers. 

Then, out of what is made at the end of the month, after all other expenses have been deducted, the purchase price of the bar, plus key money, for the duration of the lease, has to be accounted for in each month's profit, if there is a profit.  

Many of these bars are just expensive hobbies.      

You could add more seats and add 'specials' then maybe possible to get 2 guys drinking 3 beers per hour on two stools, 3 times a week ( more in high season ), then there would be 'big nights' with perhaps 11 people drinking 3 beers per hour on only 4 stools ( 7 standing ) you've also not factored that in. Also tips, if each person on a stool drinking 2 ( or 3 ) beers per hour tips 5 baht per beer per hour per stool then this is extra money also.

I think you should definately buy a bar.

6 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You could add more seats and add 'specials' then maybe possible to get 2 guys drinking 3 beers per hour on two stools, 3 times a week ( more in high season ), then there would be 'big nights' with perhaps 11 people drinking 3 beers per hour on only 4 stools ( 7 standing ) you've also not factored that in. Also tips, if each person on a stool drinking 2 ( or 3 ) beers per hour tips 5 baht per beer per hour per stool then this is extra money also.

I think you should definately buy a bar.

What about when you run "specials" but don't attract a crowd?  You have a few guys drinking at near cost price - no profit.