Teaching English as a non native speaker?

Aurelien

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

you are probably over qualified and would be an embarrassment to less qualified Principles and senior Thai teachers. 

You mentioned that you have never taught here.

Many of the posters here have and are speaking from experience. 

Time for you to sit back and read only. All this talk of qualifications needed to teach here in Thailand and yet you are not even qualified to join in with this thread.

Edited by puchooay
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2021 at 12:59 PM, cyril sneer said:

The TEFL won't help with anything, it's a waste of money and time.

The school I work at has 12 English teachers, only 5 of them are native, the others are all from European countries.

When schools can't fill the positions with native speakers, they have no problem hiring non-native if they are white and have a degree.

I would disagree provided op has no prior teaching experience. I did the 120 hour TEFL, Int'l in Phuket and the course has paid for itself MANY times over. I had taught scuba for years, but the classroom experience for teaching English is vastly different. You're actually teaching real students the third night there.

1 hour ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

No, actually we are a sad bunch of easily offended and proud people. You know, like if you tell my education is not good, then yours will suck big time too.

Easily baited too?  ????

Me? Don't mingle much? Naah! Way too busy making huge buckets full of money.

Edited by Muhendis

55 minutes ago, puchooay said:

You mentioned that you have never taught here.

Many of the posters here have and are speaking from experience. 

Time for you to sit back and read only. All this talk of qualifications needed to teach here in Thailand and yet you are not even qualified to join in with this thread.

As an long experienced airline Training Captain, Operational Conversion Unit Flight Instructor,  University Lecturer and trainer and as a father of three children I am more than well qualified to comment. However, on saying that I'm bored with this subject now, so I will sit back, but I won't be reading any more of it and the comments of those who fail to see the obvious, that to teach anyone anything, you should be properly qualified to do so. .  

Edited by Pilotman

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

less qualified Principles and senior Thai teachers

At an international school, these folks certainly are qualified, and unlikely to be Thai. See Bangkok Patana, Harrow, King's, etc.

I'm not aiming that high however. Don't like the attitude. It's bad enough at the mid range I'm at. Yet I would like something more in line with my qualifications. As said, the better positions are limited, but still, we should always be trying to move up.

Getting back to the topic, I've had wonderful African and Filipino colleagues, with backgrounds, personalities, and work ethics going to waste, as they're rarely able to move beyond the 30-40k schools, having nothing to do with their abilities as teachers.

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

you should be properly qualified to do so

I don't think anyone has said anything to the contrary.

However, I know nothing about pilot training so would never suggest to someone how to teach this.

You have never stepped inside a Thai classroom to teach so know nothing about what is required.

Stick to airplanes.