Is Chiang Mai cheaper than Bangkok?

rustinorman

Generally speaking food and beer is cheaper as is accommodation but of course it depends on what bars and restaurants you attend as there is a whole range.  You can eat for 30 - 40 baht at lots of places and get a large beer for 80baht in a bar.  If you go to a more touristy baht you will pay that for a small beer.

Accommodation you can get a studio room for 5k per month plus electric very easily.  I imagine there's an abundance of supply at present.

In short, you can spend as little or as much as you want, prices/option to suit almost everyone.  If you can be more specific then I can elaborate.  Re the area, somewhere close to the old city would be good.  Motorbikes can be hired for 2000bt a month and songtails regularly patrol the city.  Grab is also readily available and not expensive.

Hope this helps

• Like 2

Food - cheaper across the board including farang food. 

Beer - in a bar exceptionally cheaper, the one thing I hate about visiting Bangkok is the prices. In a Thai bar or restaurant you'll pay 60-70 baht for a big beer Chang. Even farang places are fairly reasonable. 

Hotels - generally speaking cheaper but obviously depends on quality and there's a lot to choose from. 

Transport - Chiang Mai not only has Grab but In-Driver and now Bolt. 

Best area - depends on when you are coming and what you want to do. With lockdown 2.0 nearly here the touristy areas such as the old city and Nimman are dead. In normal times the old city and Chang Klan (east of the moat around the Night Bazaar) are the better areas if here as a tourist as you can walk everywhere and there's plenty of restaurants and bars + your central to everything else.