Is Phuket better than Pattaya?

rustinorman

+1 and +1 to both previous posts, if you like beaches, great scenery and places to visit in short distances, even not far off the island, Phuket wins...

Need to learn to avoid tourist traps and inflated prices a bit, and cope with hordes of Chinese groups - though no sign of them, very quiet and cut prices lately, some benefits of Covid19...! 

• Like 1

I would say they are both fantastic if you like that sort of thing and both terrible if you don't.  Personally I much prefer Hua Hin / Cha Am/ Kancahanabhuri / Krabi.

When I first came here I would have chosen Phuket, however we ended up in Nonthabhuri which is really lacking (eg. beaches are rubbish) in many ways to Phuket and Pattaya but then it's nice to visit those places for the different atmosphere.  I just couldn't live in either of them permanently.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:33 AM, KarenBravo said:

Depends.

Pattaya - Better bar scene.

Cheaper food.

Cheaper equivalent properties.

Convenient to get to Bangkok.

Phuket - Better scenery.

Much better beaches.

Cheaper rents (from what I've seen) on houses.

Has a better reputation (Pattaya is seen as one big whore-house by   Europeans.

Many people that live in Pattaya tell others they live in Chonburi because of this).

Or Jomtien 

Pattaya, Phuket, or anywhere else in Thailand, depends on your life-style, preferences, expectations, and in some degree also the content in your pockets.

Personally I would prefer Phuket for Pattaya, because Pattaya is too much big city for me, whilst Phuket is more like a life-long vacation. Furthermore there is a bit about that with reputation, when saying that "I live in Pattaya".

I however settled on a smaller island than Phuket, and is still happy for that choice...????

• Like 2

Personally I would prefer Phuket for Pattaya, because Pattaya is too much big city for me, whilst Phuket is more like a life-long vacation. Furthermore there is a bit about that with reputation, when saying that "I live in Pattaya".

That's a yes from him and a yes from me.

Edited by stuarty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately the reputation of both precedes them, Phuket for its mafia & extortionate Tuk Tuk, taxi & prices in general, Pattaya mainly for its red light areas, I live out on the Darkside of Pattaya, rarely do I venture into town except for shopping but we have peace, quiet & a relaxing way of life, so Pattaya for me.

Sorry forgot to include Phuket's horrendous road deaths.

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 2

Visited Phuket a couple months ago.  It was enjoyable to visit for a vacation but I like Pattaya as a place to live year-round.  I like the size--which seems about perfect; not too big or too small.  Great variety of shopping, restaurants, housing, hospitals, malls, movie theaters, etc.  Like the proximity to Bangkok and two airports.  Like the nice expats my partner and I have met living here, as well.  Both private industry and the city are making improvements left and right, all to the good.  Works well for us.  

• Like 1

I love travelling when I’m in Thailand, so it’s better for me to be nearer the airport.

Pattaya transport is easy for me. 

I like going to Bangkok ( and other Thai destinations )  for weekends and Xmas and New Year so easier near BKK. 
Shopping and food much better and easier in Pattaya.

Pattaya and Jomtien beaches are dirty and water is filthy .

Pattaya pollution is bad .

on the other hand, 

Phuket has beautiful scenery . 
Traffic is horrendous though. 
Rent is more expensive for  a nice apartment well situated.

Phuket taxis cost a lot more and the drivers can be downright dangerous.

8 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

Just an Example , I went into Coffee World at the Mall in Patong , 2 Iced lattes and one cookie 550 baht 2 years ago , that basically made my decision back to Pattaya , I didn’t come to Thailand to pay Western Prices and Taxi rates are A Disgrace 

I don't believe you: there is a Coffee World in Pattaya too, with the same prices: THB130 for a large one. Taxis aren't that bad either: airport new Camry taxi for a 50 minute trip costs 800 baht - how's that so terrible? Not that most people use taxis that often anyway, doubt if I've taken half a dozen rides in 13 years there. And very rarely go to Patong either, horrid place. Phuket is very diverse too, being over 60km end to end and 20 wide, beaches all round it, many varied places to live (bit bored? Move down the road) and Phang Nga bay is one of the world's finest and most stunning cruising locations. Krabi is close, Phi Phi, Railey Beach, Similan islands, etc etc. Sure the traffic's a drag but I drive 100 km a day for work in under 2 hours and I'm ok with that.

Edited by katatonic

On 1/6/2021 at 10:08 AM, zzzzz said:

PHUKET hands down,

Lived in Pattaya back in 84-85 and than moved to phuket, expect for 97/98 and 2008/09 been here..and still love it here

Pattaya is a city with all that brings and close to Bangkok

Phuket is a holiday island with much more to do and enjoy

PLUS all the conveniences of a small city, an international airport, world class hospitals and International schools... 

Do you find a lot of dual pricing in Phuket?

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did anybody mention that Phuket is often totally overpriced? And because it's almost an island they get away with that.

Also medical facilities in Phuket are very expensive and far away from better and cheaper hospitals in Bangkok.

Phuket island is an island  ????

If ur worried about 10-15% higher prices than .,... By all means stay away>

i pay the same price in 7/11, tesco, Big C as you pay in Issan<

My pat thai might cost 50 baht instead of 40....
Mission hospital is a great hospital and 50% less than Bangkok Phuket

Bumrungrad is MORE expensive by far..than our hospitals here.

To each their own,  I prefer not to live in a city

Do you find a lot of dual pricing in Phuket?

not at all.   but i do not visit tourist places...nor take taxi's, tuk tuk's

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

I would disagree, we live in Pattaya and whenever we have visited Phuket, wife goes crazy pointing out the price difference in 7/11, BigC. 

Even here in Pattaya, the 7/11 out on Koh Larn island is 5% more expensive.

31 minutes ago, zzzzz said:
4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did anybody mention that Phuket is often totally overpriced? And because it's almost an island they get away with that.

Also medical facilities in Phuket are very expensive and far away from better and cheaper hospitals in Bangkok.

Phuket island is an island  ????

If ur worried about 10-15% higher prices than .,... By all means stay away>

My pat thai might cost 50 baht instead of 40....
Mission hospital is a great hospital and 50% less than Bangkok Phuket

Bumrungrad is MORE expensive by far..than our hospitals here.

Ok, yes, Phuket is an island. But there is a bridge which connects it to the rest of Thailand - which is not the case for many other islands.

Obviously you know that Phuket is not always a lot more expensive than other places.

But it seems often it is a lot more expensive. I know statistical data from farang clinic and hospital visits in Phuket and in the rest of Thailand. Phuket is often a lot more expensive than almost anywhere else in Thailand. Only smaller islands can be even more expensive. Obviously there might be exceptions to that rule. But they are exactly that, exceptions. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am in Kamala -Phuket since 18 years already and visit Karon, Kata and Patong , but Kamala is running good and better , we are still alive here with 50 por 100 open bars and restaurant , welcome !

As others have said, Phuket is definitely much “better” than Pattaya overall. 

Phuket is indeed a little more expensive for some things, but that is the price one needs to pay to live in the best province in Thailand.

However, if you cannot afford Phuket, you may also want to consider Hua Hin as another better alternative to Pattaya.

Edited by ChasingTheSun
  • Like 1