Is Bangkok better than Singapore?

1fortheroad

A decade ago I worked in Singapore for 18 months, i would be interested to hear from anyone who has lived in Singapore and Bangkok and the comparisons of both.

I liked the efficiency of singapore and its cleanliness. It was a very smart place. But over time that grew a little stale - and expensive!

But am I thinking Bangkok might be too much the other way??

lived/worked in both and agree with most everything above.  one thing i found that no one mentioned:  as a single man, the ladies in SG are the "friendliest" of anywhere i have lived.  i arrived, turned on a dating app and my phone exploded like i was a HansomMaaaaaannnn.  University girls who seemed to have no interest in "dating" loved to stop by for friendly visits.  if  they looked like Thai ladies i may have never left.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, xxoahu22 said:

lived/worked in both and agree with most everything above.  one thing i found that no one mentioned:  as a single man, the ladies in SG are the "friendliest" of anywhere i have lived.  i arrived, turned on a dating app and my phone exploded like i was a HansomMaaaaaannnn.  University girls who seemed to have no interest in "dating" loved to stop by for friendly visits.  if  they looked like Thai ladies i may have never left.

Are you asian?  I think a persons experience will vary greatly depending on your race.  My impression of Singapore was that it was more asian oriented and caucasians were not the preferred group of people to hang around with.  That included dating and other social activites as well as for doing business.

Thailand is kind of like that too with middle and upper class Chinese thais.  The social hierarchy seems to be Chinese thais, then caucasians, then the lower class typically darker skin thais, many from Issan.  Thailand is a very hierarchical society so those things matter.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

Singapore has better shopping for high end goods compared to Bangkok.  i am into high end audio gear that most expats in Thailand and Thai's can not afford and the duty is much lower than that of  Thailand

Edited by malibukid
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/6/2021 at 11:13 AM, Patong2021 said:

I love Singapore but it comes at a price. When I worked in Singapore the list below is what made it better for me than Thailand. To have long stay, you need to have big money. Singapore is not for people with modest financial state. If you have money, life is excellent. Expat community has many in finance , oil   sales and shipping, so some can be cowboys, but overall, expat community is younger with families compared to retirement people of Thailand.  I did not meet people with really bad mental illness like I have in Thailand. We all have problems, but I  think Thailand attracts some very crazy foreigners.  Singapore has low tolerance for sketchy foreign real estate, investment promotion. There are few if any big deal foreign sale people for "investments".  Singapore is more upscale.

Singapore compared to Bangkok;

- Same quality standards if not higher than Japan, western EU. This means I not worry if I have electrocution from hot water heater in shower or electric appliance.  Safe, clean and can eat street food with few worries if using common sense.

- Street layout is clear and easy to find things.

- traffic is much better and so is public transit.

- Easy to communicate because everyone can speak some English.

- Police are honest and helpful.

- Immigration office professional and never ask for tea money. 

- Taxis are reliable  use meters that are not played with.

- I can use Singapore tap water even for drinking. My laundry not smell bad after wash because water is not polluted like in Bangkok.

- Easy to get to a beach and beaches are clean and free of people trying to take advantage. No jet ski scum.

- Drivers are more polite and safer than many western countries, but not as good as in Japan.

- Excellent quality of healthcare and hospitals.

- Relatively good air quality

- Can walk on sidewalk without worrying about hole or fall.

- People are mostly higher quality and Singapore has a solid core of educated people because it has world class university and technical school.

- Massage people know what they are doing.

- Can find good Thai food, but also quality European and  Asian food  easier to find than Bangkok. Can eat sushi with no worries.

-  There are many nice Chinese and Japanese professional ladies to meet and most everyone is  good quality.

Singapore has a darkside including sex trade, but I did not participate. If you want, it is easy to find but not  the same as Bangkok. if you break the law in Singapore you pay the price. No bribing to get out of the problem.

I would definitely consider living in Singapore for all the reasons listed above, but, alas, there are no viable long-stay visa options for retirees like me.

I live in Thailand, but visited Singapore many times. In almost all cases Singapore wins, the only "aber dabei" I see, is the costs, and the reduced number of Thai ladies, and lack of living the dream life on a paradise island...????

Bangkok? Nobody mention air pollution--yes, I start coughing on second day so have to move immediately to Pattaya.

Singapore? Boring and small.

The best is Japan and thats why they dont like me after 3 months.

23 hours ago, malibukid said:

Singapore has better shopping for high end goods compared to Bangkok.  i am into high end audio gear that most expats in Thailand and Thai's can not afford and the duty is much lower than that of  Thailand

Edited 22 hours ago by malibukid

Wow!!!  A rich guy showing off.....LOL....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

In Bangkok you feel you are in an Asian city with all that encompasses. 

An Asian Oriental city. I think calling an Oriental person Asian just lumps the Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Laos, Cambodian and Thai's into a group from which they prefer to be separate. Singapore with their major race of Chinese is certainly Oriental, but at a much higher price (IMO).

2 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

An Asian Oriental city. I think calling an Oriental person Asian just lumps the Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Laos, Cambodian and Thai's into a group from which they prefer to be separate. Singapore with their major race of Chinese is certainly Oriental, but at a much higher price (IMO).

What I meant was that in Bangkok you feel as though you are in Asia - the noise, the smells, the chaos, all the experiences.  Whereas in Singapore you don't - it is just a generic city and you don't get any of that assault on your senses that you normally associate with Asia.

• Like 1