Is Bangkok better than Singapore?

1fortheroad

On 1/6/2021 at 11:13 AM, Patong2021 said:

I love Singapore but it comes at a price. When I worked in Singapore the list below is what made it better for me than Thailand. To have long stay, you need to have big money. Singapore is not for people with modest financial state. If you have money, life is excellent. Expat community has many in finance , oil   sales and shipping, so some can be cowboys, but overall, expat community is younger with families compared to retirement people of Thailand.  I did not meet people with really bad mental illness like I have in Thailand. We all have problems, but I  think Thailand attracts some very crazy foreigners.  Singapore has low tolerance for sketchy foreign real estate, investment promotion. There are few if any big deal foreign sale people for "investments".  Singapore is more upscale.

Singapore compared to Bangkok;

- Same quality standards if not higher than Japan, western EU. This means I not worry if I have electrocution from hot water heater in shower or electric appliance.  Safe, clean and can eat street food with few worries if using common sense.

- Street layout is clear and easy to find things.

- traffic is much better and so is public transit.

- Easy to communicate because everyone can speak some English.

- Police are honest and helpful.

- Immigration office professional and never ask for tea money. 

- Taxis are reliable  use meters that are not played with.

- I can use Singapore tap water even for drinking. My laundry not smell bad after wash because water is not polluted like in Bangkok.

- Easy to get to a beach and beaches are clean and free of people trying to take advantage. No jet ski scum.

- Drivers are more polite and safer than many western countries, but not as good as in Japan.

- Excellent quality of healthcare and hospitals.

- Relatively good air quality

- Can walk on sidewalk without worrying about hole or fall.

- People are mostly higher quality and Singapore has a solid core of educated people because it has world class university and technical school.

- Massage people know what they are doing.

- Can find good Thai food, but also quality European and  Asian food  easier to find than Bangkok. Can eat sushi with no worries.

-  There are many nice Chinese and Japanese professional ladies to meet and most everyone is  good quality.

Singapore has a darkside including sex trade, but I did not participate. If you want, it is easy to find but not  the same as Bangkok. if you break the law in Singapore you pay the price. No bribing to get out of the problem.

if u like rules and pay the price......    Boring

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2021 at 3:51 PM, Tagged said:

Well observed sir  ????

I would not live in any of those two cities, but I might had considered KL. Just an personal opinion after spent some time in all 3 cities or state. 

those muslim girls are needy and good to go indeed....

On 1/10/2021 at 11:58 PM, 2 is 1 said:

Im not anymore downtown man, if i never was. But to me need count all together! Living cost, car, motorpike, "woman" , her family and your own what you like to do! Golf(if near), good bars, friends(if have any) locals if honest is best etc. If can count same scale,  city what i love is Cebu in Phil! Maybe coz have live there and close so long and never had any bigger problem. If think all i like Thailand more! Not citys coz like say im not cityman!

read 2 x and still dont see ur point other than u like the flips

On 1/11/2021 at 6:34 AM, sharksy said:

I like Hi-End Hifi too.   Wouldn't fancy listening to it in an apartment though, unless the idea is to annoy the neighbours all around you?

Shopping?  what are you female spending hubbys money?  hate it.. working for money so wife can spend it?   slaveery man....

• Confused 1

On 1/6/2021 at 3:43 AM, 1fortheroad said:

A decade ago I worked in Singapore for 18 months, i would be interested to hear from anyone who has lived in Singapore and Bangkok and the comparisons of both.

I liked the efficiency of singapore and its cleanliness. It was a very smart place. But over time that grew a little stale - and expensive!

But am I thinking Bangkok might be too much the other way??

I found Singapore had too many restrictions, at least that was what I found when I was working at the Kepple shipyard. I do like Singapore and it is great for short breaks. As you say it is extremely clean and well ordered and efficient which is nice to see.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sharksy said:

Have you skipped your meds?

thats a good one yeah... a married man always worried about meds and the welbeing of his family...    pay through the nose in SG  for that sure... here my little muslim girl in supercheap knows more than my AU Dr and just hands em over at the best prices.....  anyhooo, a single monger man dont need <deleted> like that....   just more kisses... we all good.....    enjoy your expensive meds.... and have a laaaateeee

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

No comparison...

Bangkok is a hell hole going backwards, Singapore is well managed and going forwards to the future.

How about back up your clichés. Exactly how is it going backwards? Hell hole? 

My guess is you reside in some jungle, am I right? 

10 hours ago, Seeall said:

Its easy, as a man whyu would you like SG?  expensive, hard to get laid....  business easier and clean ok.. thats about it....

Lol, hard to get laid in Singapore?!? It was like shooting fish in a barrel on apps like Badoo... I even had married women contacting me & after a brief chat saying that they'd always wanted to "Try" an Ang Moh. 

BUT after dating 2 Singaporeans, and finding out that they turned into 14 year old kids after a couple of weeks, I stuck to the Filipinas, Malay & Chinese girls (more than enough to go around & none was P4P, had the Vietnamese when I wanted that). 

There's an old saw about needing the 5 C's (Cash, Car, Credit card, Condominium, & Country Club membership) when you date a Singaporean girl, I'd add a 6th, a Child like mentality.... 

I will admit that the Singaporeans are (or at least used to be > 10 years ago) among the most stunning looking women in the world, but I'd still take a good looking Filipina over them any day (If Davao City was more livable I'd have moved there instead of Bangkok).    

P.S. I'm still giggling about the comment above this one that says Singaporeans speak "Real" English - Oh, ok Lah!!! - Trust me, Singlish really grates on you after while. 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

I have 100 million in my account.  Singapore

My friend has 20 baht ....   BKK

my friend searches google all day "why being poor is better."  "why you can be happier if poor"  "money isn't everything." 

I just bought a new car.   He is on a tuk-tuk with P.M. 450

his next google search, "How pollution can be good for you."

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, madmen said:

How about back up your clichés. Exactly how is it going backwards? Hell hole? 

My guess is you reside in some jungle, am I right? 

Ultra modern airport
Huge green expanses

Building infrastructure with integrated plans

Roads and public transport that work

Land reclamation projects

Desalinisation plants

Rain water capture and recycling plans

And no I don't live in a jungle.

44 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Ultra modern airport
Huge green expanses

Building infrastructure with integrated plans

Roads and public transport that work

Land reclamation projects

Desalinisation plants

Rain water capture and recycling plans

And no I don't live in a jungle.

Didn't really answer my questions l. How is BKK going backwards.? And why a hell hole? 

Of course Singapore is advanced in the areas you describe as are all first world countries. 

Why is where you live a secret? Not proud is the obvious answer. 

5 minutes ago, madmen said:

Didn't really answer my questions l. How is BKK going backwards.? And why a hell hole? 

Of course Singapore is advanced in the areas you describe as are all first world countries. 

Why is where you live a secret? Not proud is the obvious answer. 

My response was everything Singapore is doing to go forward, Thailand is not doing anything the same which in-effect is taking it backwards buy not modernising, just doing the same thing as in the last 50 years.

Thailand boasts it's a modern country with the highest S.E. Asian economy.. yes it doesn't live up to it on infrastructure. I't relies on other countries to invest and build.

I responded to a post with my opinion, if you don't like it you can move on.

If you want a handbag session I suggest you go bait someone else.

Where I live is of none of your business, yes I am proud that I have lived here for the last 20 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

My response was everything Singapore is doing to go forward, Thailand is not doing anything the same which in-effect is taking it backwards buy not modernising, just doing the same thing as in the last 50 years.

Thailand boasts it's a modern country with the highest S.E. Asian economy.. yes it doesn't live up to it on infrastructure. I't relies on other countries to invest and build.

I responded to a post with my opinion, if you don't like it you can move on.

If you want a handbag session I suggest you go bait someone else.

Where I live is of none of your business, yes I am proud that I have lived here for the last 20 years.

Ha ha, what, are u guys 5 year olds?  I didnt notice hes hiding where he lives and normally dont care...   infrastructure? what.... are you guys city planners?  ha ha SG has been a boring <deleted> place for me last 20 years or so... I actually discover thailand when transitting SG for years, then finding other flights via thailand, then liking it so much making days then weeks of stopovers, and some times not even continuing... getting around on the smi auto bikes with the beer basket on the front and up to 5 girls on it, dunno how I managed thet in my speedos...... you guys remember those days lol ...  or should I consider "city planning?"  hmmmm   really, if I started to do that it would be time to depart this world....

8 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Ha ha, what, are u guys 5 year olds?  I didnt notice hes hiding where he lives and normally dont care...   infrastructure? what.... are you guys city planners?  ha ha SG has been a boring <deleted> place for me last 20 years or so... I actually discover thailand when transitting SG for years, then finding other flights via thailand, then liking it so much making days then weeks of stopovers, and some times not even continuing... getting around on the smi auto bikes with the beer basket on the front and up to 5 girls on it, dunno how I managed thet in my speedos...... you guys remember those days lol ...  or should I consider "city planning?"  hmmmm   really, if I started to do that it would be time to depart this world....

How strange. FYI you don't need to be a city planner to see many aspects of infrastructure improvement. Just OPEN your eyes dude. 

It is worth noting that Bangkok has twice as many people as Singapore, and Thailand has ten times as many people as Singapore.

Most all big infrastructure project in Singapore were designed by western companies. 

Singapore has to "reclaim" property from the ocean as it has no where to grow.