Is Bangkok better than Singapore?

1fortheroad

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

My response was everything Singapore is doing to go forward, Thailand is not doing anything the same which in-effect is taking it backwards buy not modernising, just doing the same thing as in the last 50 years.

Thailand boasts it's a modern country with the highest S.E. Asian economy.. yes it doesn't live up to it on infrastructure. I't relies on other countries to invest and build.

I responded to a post with my opinion, if you don't like it you can move on.

If you want a handbag session I suggest you go bait someone else.

Where I live is of none of your business, yes I am proud that I have lived here for the last 20 years.

I asked where you live since the harshest Bangkok and Pattaya critics after marrying their BG"s there end up living in a rice paddy somewhere and not visited Bangkok in a decade

Don't stress about your location I won't pressure you. 

Your calling BKK as going backwards proves you havnt a clue. Your analogy of Singapore moving forward =Bangkok going backwards..please stop digging and extract yourself rather than justifying with ridiculous analogys. 

On 1/6/2021 at 10:33 AM, bkk6060 said:

Maybe just me, but I dislike Singapore and much prefer BKK.

Singapore is a very expensive concrete jungle.  Seems fake and unfriendly to me.

BKK has more options for food, accommodation, etc.

And, the girls in Bangkok are prettier and more available from my interaction with them.

if you like living in one big mall it's ok I guess, 6 months and I was ready to leave..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

if you like living in one big mall it's ok I guess, 6 months and I was ready to leave..

totally.....  and not even a good mall....... when I worked there back in hmmm long time ago it was 1.4 to the au dollar... my old time friens said thats <deleted>, he recalls 2.4   and now its 1 to 1 ?

so yeah, shopping is <deleted>......

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeall said:

totally.....  and not even a good mall....... when I worked there back in hmmm long time ago it was 1.4 to the au dollar... my old time friens said thats <deleted>, he recalls 2.4   and now its 1 to 1 ?

so yeah, shopping is <deleted>......

yeah it's all for show and if they didn't subsidize living there for native folks it would be 75% empty..

One of the worst things about BKK is crazy high prices on imported goods.  Most of it is avoidable, but in SG you would be facing the same thing... every time you took a bite of food. They seem to have just as many construction problems with the condos, for a lot more money. Would be crazy to retire there unless you had 3 million usd in assets, while you could do well in BKK with 500,000...even without a pension. 

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, moontang said:

One of the worst things about BKK is crazy high prices on imported goods.  Most of it is avoidable, but in SG you would be facing the same thing... every time you took a bite of food. They seem to have just as many construction problems with the condos, for a lot more money. Would be crazy to retire there unless you had 3 million usd in assets, while you could do well in BKK with 500,000...even without a pension. 

And if you want a car in Singapore fugetaboutit 

19 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Hmmm the families thing is a big one.

Our son was born in Singapore and went to school there up through first year of middle school.

One of my biggest regrets in life was wrenching him from one of the best educational systems in the world and dumping him in the Thai system. Those years he spend in, a supposedly good private school in Thailand, really made his transition to college in the US much much harder.

You guys can argue endlessly with yourselves about the pro's and con's, but a lot depends on where you are in your life, and in the case of BKK, or anywhere in Thailand for that matter, your tolerance for inconveniences. 

But the truth for many of the posters here is that SGN is an impossible dream anyway. It's expensive and getting residence as a retiree is pretty much impossible.

Now if you are still working, well then I don't think there is any debate which I would choose

Horses for courses. I could transfer to Singapore with my job tomorrow, but you could not pay me to go live there over Bangkok. (Obviously you could but you know what i mean)

Edited by smutcakes

43 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Horses for courses. I could transfer to Singapore with my job tomorrow, but you could not pay me to go live there over Bangkok. (Obviously you could but you know what i mean)

Same for me.  Our regional HQ is Singapore.  I could move there if I asked, but not a chance.  In normal times I go there every so often for work and sometimes spend extended periods there.   A couple of days is quite pleasant but any more than that and I can't wait to leave.  A week is my limit.   And the poor buggers I work with there have been locked down for almost a year - imagine that!!  At least here with no international travel I have still been able to go to Samui, Chiang Mai, Ko Chang, Hua Hin (meh) etc.   They have had to stay in Singapore, they are literally going mental.

Bangkok has so much more to offer me.  

On 1/22/2021 at 11:45 AM, jomtienisgood said:

Many times, and also the one on the opposite of the road..... And many others

Thai club. Rum jungle just up the road.

Beach club has shut down. Not sire about thai club. Rum jungle probably shut as no one ever goes there anyway.

22 hours ago, onebir said:

C'maaan, Johor Baru's close enough to commute there for meals!

Johor is not much of a getaway. I did see lots of singaporeans in Batam on weekends. Not much in batam either.

The only reason i would live in singapore would be to make money, though the girls are beautiful.

I would only live in bangkok if i was forced to.

If i had to chose between the two as only options i would chose singapore.

2 minutes ago, Sujo said:

The only reason i would live in singapore would be to make money, though the girls are beautiful.

Obviously this is subjective.  I couldn't disagree more.  So often in Singapore I'd be walking and see a girl in front - great legs, body, nice long hair - you speed up and pass them then see they have the face of a 50 year old woman with bad teeth.  Happens all the time - constant disappointment.

Thai girls are infinitely more attractive.  

• Haha 2

Oh Dear God, we're down to the ladies again!

Well if you want that, The Four Floors of Whores has enough to satisfy anyone in a very small island!

But again comes down to where you are in life.

At the time me and my Thai wife lived in Singapore, our Friday date night after work was a few drinks at Clark Quay with friends, then off for dinner somewhere.

It helped we had the ubiquitous live in maid to help with looking after our son, but it was fun...at the time.

After the first few years I did hate the weather. 365 days of exactly the same, hot in the morning, torrential rain in the afternoon kinda grates.

But we had a great time there, moved on to Thailand, had a good time there, now we share our time (although not this year obviously) between our home in the US and Thailand.

It's a fantasy to think one place has it all, and as you age your needs, likes and want change.

One of the downsides of Thailand compared to almost everywhere I've lived; would I want to be elderly and worst of all infirm or disabled, Hell No!

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 2:05 PM, moontang said:

my company put me up in an apt/condo which was about a block from Orchard Rd. I was told the rent there was 6k a month. It looked okay from the outside but every time I ran the water in the kitchen, the ceiling would drip. Substandard considering it had a elevator system for parking and other 'luxurious' details. Across the street was an English style pub that the boys told me charged them 20 dollars for a pint..

20 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Obviously this is subjective.  I couldn't disagree more.  So often in Singapore I'd be walking and see a girl in front - great legs, body, nice long hair - you speed up and pass them then see they have the face of a 50 year old woman with bad teeth.  Happens all the time - constant disappointment.

Thai girls are infinitely more attractive.  

The option of covering up her face with a blanket or your National flag still exists..55555

15 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Oh Dear God, we're down to the ladies again!

Well if you want that, The Four Floors of Whores has enough to satisfy anyone in a very small island!

But again comes down to where you are in life.

At the time me and my Thai wife lived in Singapore, our Friday date night after work was a few drinks at Clark Quay with friends, then off for dinner somewhere.

It helped we had the ubiquitous live in maid to help with looking after our son, but it was fun...at the time.

After the first few years I did hate the weather. 365 days of exactly the same, hot in the morning, torrential rain in the afternoon kinda grates.

But we had a great time there, moved on to Thailand, had a good time there, now we share our time (although not this year obviously) between our home in the US and Thailand.

It's a fantasy to think one place has it all, and as you age your needs, likes and want change.

One of the downsides of Thailand compared to almost everywhere I've lived; would I want to be elderly and worst of all infirm or disabled, Hell No!

The neighbor's grass is always greener...

2 hours ago, fusion58 said:

This would seem to be descriptive of women from most if not all Asian cultures...

https://www.echinacities.com/expat-corner/What-are-You-Five-Chinese-Women-and-Sa-Jiao

I actually hate myself for getting into this, but...

I've lived in three Chinese countries; Mainland China, Taiwan & Singapore.

While I recognize this relationship trait, I'd say it's hardly universal to the entire population.

In point of fact, some of the toughest women I have every known were Chinese, and the idea that they could be in some ways infantilized by a man is ridiculous.

Curiously my only real experience of this whole concept was with an Italian woman. She worked for me, and was a total psycho bitch to her co-workers. Then one day in the office I hear her talking to her boyfriend on the phone and it was like a 5 year old talking to her dad.

All very weird, hey thats part of the human condition!

On 1/6/2021 at 9:43 AM, 1fortheroad said:

A decade ago I worked in Singapore for 18 months, i would be interested to hear from anyone who has lived in Singapore and Bangkok and the comparisons of both.

I liked the efficiency of singapore and its cleanliness. It was a very smart place. But over time that grew a little stale - and expensive!

But am I thinking Bangkok might be too much the other way??

I forgot where I read it but the quote was something like "Singapore is Asia for beginners".

Bangkok is definitely not a stale city, I think you would enjoy it. But it's not really a "smart" place ???? sometimes it's not possible to understand the locals and their way of doing things.....Having said that, they have caught up and surpassed many western countries when it comes to internet speeds, food delivery services, couriers, transport (Grab), online banking Apps etc. but it's still very much a cash economy outside of paying bills and using Apps.

Cost? It has gotten a lot more expensive since I moved here first in 2010. But a large part of that is due to Baht strength (or EUR weakness in my case). I would say that cost of living has nearly doubled for me in EUR terms, but a lot of things are still affordable and prices are far from Singapore. Use this site to compare it to where you live now: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

After 7 years in Bangkok, I moved to Pattaya. Haven't regretted it even once. Bangkok is part of the journey for many of us, good luck!

5 hours ago, bkksteve123 said:

I forgot where I read it but the quote was something like "Singapore is Asia for beginners".

Bangkok is definitely not a stale city, I think you would enjoy it. But it's not really a "smart" place ???? sometimes it's not possible to understand the locals and their way of doing things.....Having said that, they have caught up and surpassed many western countries when it comes to internet speeds, food delivery services, couriers, transport (Grab), online banking Apps etc. but it's still very much a cash economy outside of paying bills and using Apps.

Cost? It has gotten a lot more expensive since I moved here first in 2010. But a large part of that is due to Baht strength (or EUR weakness in my case). I would say that cost of living has nearly doubled for me in EUR terms, but a lot of things are still affordable and prices are far from Singapore. Use this site to compare it to where you live now: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp

After 7 years in Bangkok, I moved to Pattaya. Haven't regretted it even once. Bangkok is part of the journey for many of us, good luck!

On the increasing cost of Thailand, I forget how many threads we've had on that thorny issue.

Regardless of FX in the past 10-15 years it's exploded. The USD has bounced around ฿29-33 for the past decade but the internal inflation has been wild.

And again I know there will be the deniers, but we maintain two homes one in Thailand and one in the midwest of the US. To be upfront we live a very similar lifestyle in both locations.

From utilities to food, it gets pretty marginal as to which location wins. Yeah like in Singapore you pay more tax, but that means everything works, so you get down to is Thailand worth the effort?

Don't get me wrong I love Thailand, but even my Thai wife questions the practicality of living there after having lived in Singapore and the US

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, AmySeeker said:

Used to love Bangkok, before the sanitization and gentrification started in the last 5 years.

All the great neighbourhoods, markets, street food all gone and replaced by pointless Chinese backed condos. 

Gentrification sucks

Does it swallow? 

• Haha 1