Is Bangkok better than Singapore?

1fortheroad

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I do not think Bangkok is "gentrifying". Wealthy people are not moving to Bangkok and displacing the poor, the poor are becoming more affluent. 

More like foreign investment - Chinese in particular. 

Go see how many empty condos there are out there now. 

49 minutes ago, AmySeeker said:

More like foreign investment - Chinese in particular. 

Go see how many empty condos there are out there now. 

And what percentage of the thousands of condos in Thailand are occupied by Chinese nationals or any foreigners for tar that matter?

What percentage are owned by foreign individuals?

Gentrification (as I understand it) is when the rich move into poor neighborhoods and drive out the poor. I'm not seeing that. 

Edited by Yellowtail

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

And what percentage of the thousands of condos in Thailand are occupied by Chinese nationals or any foreigners for tar that matter?

What percentage are owned by foreign individuals?

Gentrification (as I understand it) is when the rich move into poor neighborhoods and drive out the poor. I'm not seeing that. 

I'm in lower Sukhumvit. All the way down Sukhumvit, great neighbourhoods all gone, street food, vendors, the heartbeat of Bangkok all gone for condos. I walk past those condos now, speak to the doormen, they're all empty. 

It's gentrification - when the street food vendor 2 mins from me, making some of the most amazing breakfasts i've ever had is kicked away, and in place we get a modern condo, and on the bottom floor a Burger King. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmySeeker said:

I'm in lower Sukhumvit. All the way down Sukhumvit, great neighbourhoods all gone, street food, vendors, the heartbeat of Bangkok all gone for condos. I walk past those condos now, speak to the doormen, they're all empty. 

It's gentrification - when the street food vendor 2 mins from me, making some of the most amazing breakfasts i've ever had is kicked away, and in place we get a modern condo, and on the bottom floor a Burger King. 

Don't be so greedy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like Singapore. For a visit. Not sure I would want to live there. It is stunningly expensive. Right up there with Hong Kong and Moscow in terms of pricing. $20-30 for a cocktail. Spent $270 on a seafood dinner for three, at an outdoor food court area! $85 for a liter of beer, at a bar. Stupidity when it comes to expenses. And a friend of mine, who got with a looking nice woman, said it was $100 for 30 minutes, with a mamasan knock on the door at 25 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Singapore, although sterile, is more stable all around. Especially for having better career prospects 

Bangkok is likely more cost effective for retirement or having a nice holiday.

Spent more than 4 years working and residing in Bangkok and decided to return to my native Singapore. I did meet many Singaporean expats. Most of them were married to a Thai. Some had been based there for long periods and returning home was not a viable option 

my view is, better to earn Singapore money and spend your holidays in Bangkok. Working there is quite a different experience 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 6:46 PM, Mike Teavee said:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is Singapore is a much better place to work than Bangkok, not only are salaries (for the same roles) higher there but taxes are much lower, this actually made it cheaper for me to live in Singapore than Bangkok as the difference more than covered housing / extra transport costs.... There is also a certain "Status" in having spent time working in Singapore whereas there's probably a "Stigma" in working in Bangkok.  

But after 12 years working in Singapore, I moved to Bangkok in February and much prefer living here now that I'm retired... I would be climbing the walls if I hadn't got out when I did & been stuck there for the past 9 months as when I lived there I flew out to somewhere else at least once a month & for my final 18 months I was coming to Bangkok every 2nd weekend.

In summary I think Singapore is a much better place to work/grow a career, but Thailand is a better place for a single, 54 year old guy to "Live"  

Agree 100%. I am a Singapore PR for 13 years and have lived before in BKK for two. Singapore is really an awesome place to grow your career. Cost of living is high, but so are salaries. In a desired area like IT, digital marketing, or finance, salaries are comparable or sometimes higher than the US. Living there, the infrastructure is impeccable, affordable health care and the rule of law. Low taxes and everything just works. You can start a business just by going online and setting up an LLC in five minutes. Red tape just does not exist. Pre-COVID, it was just so easy to hop on a plane and go anywhere and spend your strong Singapore dollar and feel like a king. 

On the flip side, if you are not crazy rich, Singapore would not be a good place to retire. BKK hands down would be so much better on a limited income. 

• Like 2