Which is the best area to stay in Bangkok?

1fortheroad

Sorry,  i should say that Ekkamai to me seemed to be a good mix of reasonably priced rent and easy commute to downtown, while also having lots of stuff within the neighbourhood. 

I am not interested to live downtown but want to be able to easily get to and from when required. 

thank you

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

As long as you don't want a seat on the BTS. To get a seat during the commute you'll need to be out past Samrong!????

Ekkamai is a decent choice.

I guess there is a physical reason for you to need a seat?

Always enough standing room I have never waited for another train at Ekkamai.

Edited by bkk6060

21 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

As long as you don't want a seat on the BTS. To get a seat during the commute you'll need to be out past Samrong!????

you could go to the other side of the river...plenty of seats at BangWa/Talat Phlu/etc...not so far either....15 minutes to Sala Daeng from Talat phlu...and not a bad area

1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

I really like Banglamphu , parts of it have a villiage feel , and I like being near the river. Thats where I'd look if I had to move to Bkk.

+1 to being near the river.

Maybe Pak Nam? BTS not full, near the river, Immigration office smaller! Condos? not so much.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 9:55 AM, 1fortheroad said:

Sorry,  i should say that Ekkamai to me seemed to be a good mix of reasonably priced rent and easy commute to downtown, while also having lots of stuff within the neighbourhood. 

I am not interested to live downtown but want to be able to easily get to and from when required. 

Just out of interest, why?

You could live in a quiet soi in downtown like somewhere in Soi 8, 10, 12 something like that.

And then you can walk a few hundred meters or take a motorcycle and you are in a minute in "downtown".

The last time I checked Ekkamai wasn't cheaper than lower Sukhumvit. 

• Like 1

Traffic is horrendous around Ekami.  Also, just about the worst situation with the pigs from Thong Lo.  I would stay in Rachada on the MRT before Ekami, but I live overlooking the river in Nonthaburi and the new ferry boats are awesome, but wouldn't want to do it twice per day.  If I needed to live a fake western lifestyle that badly, I would just stay longer at my house in the US and live a real one, without the ridiculous wine and beef prices. 

• Confused 1

Sois 8, 10, & 12 are pretty nice because they don't get a lot of traffic.  They are also quite close to everything so you don't really need a car except maybe for going out of Bangkok on the weekends.

Banglamphu is a different area.  The mass transit system is getting closer to the area.  Of course there are always the boats on Klong San Saeb.