Koh Chang: Island in lockdown to tourists until end of January

webfact

Koh Chang: Island in lockdown to tourists until end of January

4pm.jpg
Picture: Manager Online

All hotels on Koh Chang will close down today, reported Manager.

This is part of lockdown measures for five provinces deemed most at risk from the spread of Covid-19 - Samut Sakhon, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat. 

Koh Chang district chief Chatchai Thonglee asked all hotels on the island to shut until January 30th.

Tourists have already been returning to the mainland. 

No one will be allowed in or out unless it is necessary. 

Ferry crossings from Koh Chang Ferry and Centerpoint are being reduced from 12 to 7 per day.

National park facilities including camping grounds and water based activities had already been stopped from Monday. 

Hotels on Koh Kud will shut from 9th January when all speedboat operations will also stop.

Ferries to Koh Kud will be reduced from two to one sailing per day.

No tourists will be allowed to pass into Trat at the Khao Saming checkpoint from today.

Source: Manager Online

• Like 1

I don't see any official announcement on government headed paper with a signature from the provincial governor. Why would they kick out their only means of income, especially if the tourists have all been through Qt etc. Sure, the reduced service of the centre point ferry the operators announced on their own website. But looking at one usually reliable source about Koh Chang, I see no references to anything regarding lockdown.  I see  Mr. Satit Pituthecha, Deputy Minister of Public Health And Deputy Leader of the Democratic Party, is quoted in the quoted article. This is the guy who announced on his FB page that all 5 seaboard provinces were in total lockdown. This was copied by Thai PBS, then some radio channel here in Pattaya, then headlined in a well known Pattaya FB group. Such is the spread.

• Like 2

The Thai government (surely i won't get deleted for saying that)(or maybe I should be more general (oh poop i could get deleted for that).........erm I know..........) .......... The democratically elected people who are currently running the country should (currently is ok isn't it?) set up some sort funding to return all of the deserted hotels and condos back to jungle (or maybe savanna) and then they could use them as staging grounds for pangolins as they are no longer going to rely on tourism and exports to generate future income. That way they could build the new economy on imports and by changing the island name to Koh Chan, they could also save on letters of the alphabet................. I have such good ideas I should be employed by TAT, which if they change the A for a I, they could also concentrate on Imports...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seagull Sam said:

Mixed personal feelings about Koh Chang. On the one hand it is an unspoilt tropical paradise. But then I did get my head kicked in there by a drug crazed bar girl. 

because all good unspoilt tropical paradises have drug crazed bar girls ??? lol

21 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

So why just tourist? Don't think this new wave was to do with tourists,?

It was also from the gambling dens It stops anyone from infected areas coming, and about time too, the first wave in complete lockdown Trat had no reported cases of covid now it does, I feel for those with a business but should have been closed before Christmas.

16 hours ago, bradiston said:

I don't see any official announcement on government headed paper with a signature from the provincial governor. Why would they kick out their only means of income, especially if the tourists have all been through Qt etc. Sure, the reduced service of the centre point ferry the operators announced on their own website. But looking at one usually reliable source about Koh Chang, I see no references to anything regarding lockdown.  I see  Mr. Satit Pituthecha, Deputy Minister of Public Health And Deputy Leader of the Democratic Party, is quoted in the quoted article. This is the guy who announced on his FB page that all 5 seaboard provinces were in total lockdown. This was copied by Thai PBS, then some radio channel here in Pattaya, then headlined in a well known Pattaya FB group. Such is the spread.

It is official, coz my missus told me, don't argue with her version it really ain't worth it. :cheesy: 

• 1 month later...

I wonder what has become of beaches like White Sand & Klong Prao since tourists don't come any more. Thai people blame tourism for the garbage but we know that a few rare beaches are only kept clean thanks to the tourist hotels. Has someone been there recently? I dread to think that in the absence of foreign tourists, those beaches may have reverted to their usual Thai state, ie ankle-deep in plastic garbage.