Marry thai. Witnesses problem

friendofthai

On 1/6/2021 at 1:02 PM, colinneil said:

You suspect other places do not have this rule, well mate you would be wrong thinking that.

I got married in Khonkaen and we had to go find 2 witnesses ourselves, as staff would not do it.

Bang Rak and Lak Si amphurs in Bangkok will provide witnesses for a fee last I heard.  bang Rak is famous for it (Rak = love)  We were married at Lak Si no problems after failed attempts at the smaller local amphurs nearby.

First rule to learn in Thailand is that every amphur, changwat, Imm office, bank etc etc etc has its own rules so you just need to shop around if possible.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 7:24 AM, EricTh said:

Must the 2 witnesses be Thai citizens?

Absolutely not: I married my Thai wife five years ago in CM with two witnesses: my wife's cousin, passing by, and my best friend Peter, British subject...by the way, hi Peter, take care...

One of my Thai witnesses had to speak english so I could understand what I was signing, their rule, even though the head guy spoke english. but as said you can just get any Thais for a few hundred baht if necessary. (any vendors outside?). I remember my mate getting his first marriage extension, (before home visits) he was unaware he needed a witness, his wife went outside, paid some old lady B200 who swore she had known them for years. :cheesy: 

• Like 2

Guest Harm Hendrik Reitsma
On 1/6/2021 at 12:55 PM, friendofthai said:

Hi
In the local office in Phuket they said that they can provide their own witnesses only if two thai people want to marry.
But I am a foreigner, so they cannot help me with witnesses.
I suspect that other places do not have this rule. 
Could you recommend any foreigner-friendly place to marry thai woman?

HI bro, you may read the actual rules for marriage in Thailand, you need two written statements and not persons to attent to your marriage. Or, same as everywhere, need different rules in every Amphur?? 

Advice, check with your embassy. 

Be happy and stay save. 

Harm 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2021 at 1:02 PM, colinneil said:

You suspect other places do not have this rule, well mate you would be wrong thinking that.

I got married in Khonkaen and we had to go find 2 witnesses ourselves, as staff would not do it.

You are wrong, I married in Bangkok and didn't need to provide any witnesses, staff did it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/6/2021 at 12:55 PM, friendofthai said:

Hi
In the local office in Phuket they said that they can provide their own witnesses only if two thai people want to marry.
But I am a foreigner, so they cannot help me with witnesses.
I suspect that other places do not have this rule. 

Any Ampher in BKK should do, Bang Chak, Bang Rak......or others. I married there in 2000. No problem whatsoever. Best wishes.

18 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

yep dunno. Maybe I’m not married..... ????

I know a bloke who paid out a lot of money for a huge party to get married, we all watched the thing before we dived into a few pints.

He thought he actually got married, I had to break the news that it was a posh village wedding with no paperwork.....????

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

I know a bloke who paid out a lot of money for a huge party to get married, we all watched the thing before we dived into a few pints.

He thought he actually got married, I had to break the news that it was a posh village wedding with no paperwork.....????

Well that’s a bit awkward mate! 

• 2 months later...
On 1/6/2021 at 6:55 PM, friendofthai said:

I got married at Pattaya amphur without bringing witnesses.

Anyway, if she wants to get married it should be her job to find some. I don't know why farangs always seem to regard everything as their responsibility. My wife arranged everything to do with the amphur.

On 1/6/2021 at 1:25 PM, Bangyai said:

Go to Bang Rak registry office in Bangkok. Providing you have the correct documents they will marry anyone and provide witnesses. At least, they did for us.

Its a big business for them there and they are famous for marrying people who have had issues elseware.

Which documents do they ask ? I have heard that this amphoe is very used to marry farangs and Thais