People with part time maids: do you still allow them to work?

samtam

I have a brilliant part time maid, but after the New Year holiday, and her visit to see her family, I asked her not to come back to work for 14 days.

There is no way of knowing whether she will "quarantine" in the normal understanding of that process.

Even if that occurred, she has to travel to my place by motocy or public transport, so the transmissible opportunities are many.

In my condo there are many (usually Thais), who have live in maids, but these people invariably carry out duties outside of their employers' residence, including going to the market etc.

Last year in March and April we "paused" our then maid for 2 months, but paid her in full. She promptly left us in June.

How are others with part time maids reacting to the current uptick in reported cases?

• Like 1

Mine only comes once a week, but where we are, there is little to no covid, so, I will continue with her at the moment.. she usually wears a mask in the house... during the first Q. we had gardeners only... I think if I were in Bkk, I would not want someone coming in an apartment or house... 

I have a maid that comes to clean my condo once a week. I told her during the first outbreak that if she doesn't want to work due to the risks, that is fine. She told me; please sir, allow me to work! need to get the bread in the table. So I will of course let her work. I'm more worried for her in any case, as she is over 60 and I'm healthy in my late 20s. I do leave the room when she is working though.

I spoke to one of my Thai friends who lives in my condo and who has a live-in maid. She said the maid does not go out of the condo, but only down to the lobby to collect Grab deliveries. Apparently it's her wish to stay in their residence. Also, she does not go away on her day off, but my friend said she would be compensated when it's all over. So I guess that's one solution. I'm sure there are many who allow their maids to come and go, oblivious to the risk, especially if their employer's are elderly and infirm, (we have a number who are). I suppose the same risk applies to hospitals where nurses and all personnel come in and out every day and are interacting with sick (and presumably those with low level immune systems). I have certainly been made aware of (CV19) sick personnel at a nearby hospital, but it is not common knowledge.

Our condo has adopted all the usual protocols, but we have now installed the Thai Chana QR code, and we are in the process of purchasing a spray sanitiser device, similar to that used on the BTS after close of business; it will be used at night here in common areas and lifts. Don't know much about it, or whether it's a complete gimmick.

had a maid for 10+ years

after divorce, she continued to work for my kids / me

found out her spying on our activity and gave her the option:  stop the spying for my ex or no need to come to work

she did not come to work anymore

now 2+ years doing everything myself, no problem

she had a good easy life & salary, half time and little work, not slaving to wash cars & everything in the house every day

most families in the west cannot afford one anyway

On 1/6/2021 at 2:23 PM, samtam said:

Last year in March and April we "paused" our then maid for 2 months, but paid her in full. She promptly left us in June.

16 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Please have a big heart & keep paying her. Good karma for small money.

Despite my previous experience last year, I have every intention of paying this maid whilst she is not working. I fear it will be about 2-3 months. I agree, THB30k is not that much over 3 months.