Purchased new laptop. Do I need my Apple ID or can it be set up without one?

advancebooking

Actually Im helping out an old friend who is techie phobic to put it nicely. 

He has an iPhone already which was set up with gmail account (Apple ID) and password. 1 month later a new laptop was purchased. We just tested the same Apple ID and password but the password doesn't work. I tried re-setting it but now have to wait a while for apple to do this. 

So my question is... if we open the box of the new laptop and go for setting it up can this be done without the dreaded Apple ID etc?

thanks 

5 hours ago, advancebooking said:

Actually Im helping out an old friend who is techie phobic to put it nicely. 

He has an iPhone already which was set up with gmail account (Apple ID) and password. 1 month later a new laptop was purchased. We just tested the same Apple ID and password but the password doesn't work. I tried re-setting it but now have to wait a while for apple to do this. 

So my question is... if we open the box of the new laptop and go for setting it up can this be done without the dreaded Apple ID etc?

thanks 

Ignore the above post (from the big butterfly not John numbers) it is bad advice. Assuming that you set up the iPhone correctly then the password recovery is not going to take long.

Yes you can skip entering an Apple ID while setting up the laptop. 

Also adding another Apple ID will just add to the level of complexity. You certainly can have more than 1 Apple ID but for the average user it’s not a very good idea.

Edited by sometimewoodworker