Democrat Warnock wins in Georgia; second runoff and U.S. Senate control undecided

webfact

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's not going to quiet for long. 

For some reason they didn't prepare for this. I know that D.C. asked for the national guard but didn't get it. I am certain some of them have armed as they have been broadcasting their intention to do this for a long time already. So there will be definitely be some level of violence to clear them out.

Do you know why they did not get the national guard? It's starting to look quite ridiculous for the US.

3 minutes ago, candide said:

Do you know why they did not get the national guard? It's starting to look quite ridiculous for the US.

I'm unclear now on how that happened. Obviously they weren't prepared for this and its obvious that they should have been.

I knew the trump coup forces planned to do this. Surely security forces should have.

Edited by Jingthing

19 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Want to change your comment?  Americans just entered the capitol building.  They should all be thrown in jail, along with their lying leader, Trump.  Make Trump pay for the damage and costs for the police overtime.

Yeah the last comment maybe was a little off.

Sorry if that offended you.

Democrats take control of U.S. Senate as they win second race in Georgia

2021-01-06T220528Z_1_LYNXMPEH051K0_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-GEORGIA.JPG

Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Jon Ossoff speaks after the runoff election against Republican Senator David Perdue in a still image from video in Atlanta, Georgia, U.S. January 6, 2021. Jon Ossoff for Senate/Handout via REUTERS

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrats on Wednesday completed a sweep of the two U.S. Senate seats up for grabs in runoff elections in Georgia, giving the party control of the chamber and boosting the prospects for President-elect Joe Biden's ambitious legislative agenda.

Full story: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1200431-democrats-take-control-of-us senate as-they-win-second-race-in-georgia/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

Best to wait until the fat lady has sung the aria.

Next there will be Trump and the Republicans with floods of Twitters literally screaming for recounts and alleging voter fraud yet again.

45's Twitter account has been locked for at least 12 hours cuz he was inciting violence in the capitol.

Edited by J Town
clarity
  • Like 1

Well, it is obvious by now, that every aspect of the horrific Trump experiment has failed. Trump has failed miserably, and by getting involved in the senate races, he insured they would lose. It was close enough that if he had kept his extremely toxic mouth shut, they likely would have won. 

I am happy. Now the dems can load up the court. 15 justices! Biden has selected more talent in 30 days, than Trump did in four years, and the little talent he had, either left, or got fired for having some integrity, which was strictly forbidden in that heinous administration. And even now, Trump is continuing in his feeble attempts to start a civil war. The nations capital is seized by his hooligan goons. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Well as far as I know his Twitter and Face Book accounts has been suspended

But he still has the nukes codes... where are the men in white coats?

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Selatan said:

I thought my country, Malaysia, had inherited the stupidest political system in the world - the Westminster system.

I think I was wrong. The American political system is stupider.

Don't blame the system - blame those misusing it for their own ends. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, sirineou said:

IMO losing the senate would be the beat thing that could happen for the Republicans. They were caught in the trump merry go round,  and could not get off. 

Losing the majority will allow them  the opportunity to do a reset and perhaps get back to Republicans ideals that were trashed during  trump's four years. 

let's see what happens. 

You seem to kind of be thinking something arguably good for the country will come out of this debacle .... I mean, in terms of the future course of the Republican party.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I see that happening and instead fear just the opposite. With Trump and Co. lurking in the background and having time on their hands for the next 2-4 years, I suspect they will be hard at work to get more extremist Trump allied Republicans chosen in Republican primaries and then run as general election candidates. I suspect moderate Republicans, especially in the house, will be squeezed out.

If anything, I suspect the future of the Republican Party in the coming years is going to be even more extremist, at least as reflected by the people who are going to get elected under their banner.

I suspect, because it's already happening, there will also be considerably efforts by Republican state legislatures and governors to limit access to voting, including mail in and absentee voting, to the extent they can. Because, they clearly learned this election cycle that allowing and encouraging the public at large to vote is going to be death for them.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Don't blame the system - blame those misusing it for their own ends. 

It's a stupid system because it is not clever enough to prevent those who are incompetent and those who are good at bragging and lying to run for office.

It's a stupid system because it allows those who are ignorant and gullible to vote to directly choose the top leader of a country.

At least even the lousy Westminster system didn't allow ordinary voters to directly elect the head of the government.

• Like 1