Quasi lockdown imposed in Chonburi and other COVID-19 hotspots

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I find the packages here to be quite inferior to what I could obtain in the UK... which always included more minutes of calls than I could ever use and thousands of SMS messages on top of large data limits.

I find all the Pre-paid options have limits ( be it number or time) on either the calls or data.. which drops to a slower speed after rather a small block. Which package do you use?

I agree that prepaid services leave a lot to be desired but if you have a bank account here in Thailand you can get a "regular" (pay at the end of the month) plan that is vastly superior in terms of speed and provides unlimited minutes. 

At least that's the case with AIS, and I've been very happy with them for several years now.  They provide excellent cell service and coverage throughout the Kingdom, outstanding online presence (easy to pay bill), and very good live customer service (in English) on the rare occasion I've needed help.

There have been many times when we lose electricity and my regular ISP is inoperable.  In those cases, I simply make my cellphone a hot spot and am able to stream my TV and desktop computer from it just fine for however long the electricity outage remains...all on my phone's unlimited data plan.

All of this for only around 450 THB per month...pretty good deal, as far as I'm concerned 🙂

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The one thing that amazes me is that this isn't implemented nationwide, until February 15 at least.

Obviously, since last March, the Thai government has been reading up on the British government's "decisive and positive decision making" techniques.

Ummm...it's called trying to prevent dozens of deaths every day.  Sad you don't understand this and just deny the severity of the situation.

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Why would anyone use a service provider in Thailand that does not provide you with unlimited data package?  I use AIS and for around 450 THB per month I am provided with reliable unlimited 4G.  Good and cheap cell service is one of the biggest bargain in the Kingdom!

Maybe they can't afford 450 baht per month?  Or they don't need that much data?   Myriad of reasons...  I only have 16 gigs of data and full 4G speed per month, unlimited with slower speed.   I have only a couple times gone over the 16 gigs.   Serves me just fine.

Point of the post is that the app is sloppily written and uses much more battery power and data than normal apps.  My opinion is that if tax payers like me have to pay for an app that is required to be installed just to exist in Thailand's 5 'Red Zones', it should probably function as a normal app does and not be obtrusive to the user.

32 minutes ago, n8sail said:

Maybe they can't afford 450 baht per month?  Or they don't need that much data?   Myriad of reasons...  I only have 16 gigs of data and full 4G speed per month, unlimited with slower speed.   I have only a couple times gone over the 16 gigs.   Serves me just fine.

Point of the post is that the app is sloppily written and uses much more battery power and data than normal apps.  My opinion is that if tax payers like me have to pay for an app that is required to be installed just to exist in Thailand's 5 'Red Zones', it should probably function as a normal app does and not be obtrusive to the user.

Well, the app will probably improve over time is my guess.  In the meantime it serves an important, even vital function.  Instead of complaining about the faults of the app, we should appreciate the virtues of it.

Whether you appreciate it or not, all of us Farangs are guests here in Thailand.  Perhaps we should acknowledge that and appreciate the fact that we are fortunate to be living in such a safe and hospitable place, in spite of the short-term current situation, instead of just finding faults.

If a farang can not afford the costs of 450 THB for cell service (which would be considered dirt cheap by most), perhaps they should consider why they are living in a foreign country without adequate finances, rather than finding faults with the host country.

Edited by WaveHunter
6 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Well, the app will probably improve over time is my guess.  In the meantime it serves an important, even vital function.  Instead of complaining about the faults of the app, we should appreciate the virtues of it.

If a Farang can not afford 450 THB per month for cell phone service (which would be considered dirt cheap by most people) , perhaps they should be more concerned with why they are trying to live long-term in a foreign country without proper finances than with finding fault with this app.

Whether you appreciate it or not, all of us Farangs are guests here in Thailand.  Perhaps we should acknowledge that and appreciate the fact that we are fortunate to be living in such a safe and hospitable place, in spite of the short-term current situation, instead of just finding faults.

I was referring to Thai people, not Farangs.  450 baht is more than daily minimum wage here.  If monthly mobile service was as much as I make in one day,  I would certainly be exploring other options!  🙂  At the factory I work in there are quite a few Burmese and Cambodian laborers (They are all legal, have work permits; Immigration has actually come to check before).  Most of them don't have smart phones as they simply don't have enough money after sending most their paychecks back home to support their families.

Hopefully the app does get better.  But since I live and pay taxes here I don't think I'm in the wrong to gripe about how the money is spent, same as my home.

14 minutes ago, n8sail said:

I was referring to Thai people, not Farangs.  450 baht is more than daily minimum wage here.  If monthly mobile service was as much as I make in one day,  I would certainly be exploring other options!  🙂  At the factory I work in there are quite a few Burmese and Cambodian laborers (They are all legal, have work permits; Immigration has actually come to check before).  Most of them don't have smart phones as they simply don't have enough money after sending most their paychecks back home to support their families.

Hopefully the app does get better.  But since I live and pay taxes here I don't think I'm in the wrong to gripe about how the money is spent, same as my home.

Well for Thai Nationals or migrants with limited resources, I agree with you that the cost could be an issue, but that does not diminish the viability of the app. 

For those people who can't afford unlimited data, they would not be using the app as heavily as a Farang that would be more mobile (i;e;: be travelling around in a car or motorbike, so it is still a highly useful, even vital app in its' current state. 

What's more, the current situation will not last for long, so it's really a short term stop gap to get us all back to relative normalcy again.

My point is simply that we should all consider ourselves fortunate to be safely living here in Thailand right now as opposed to most other places in the world. 

What we face here in the Kingdom is a short-term setback with the current outbreaks.  If that means being more judicious with keeping your cell phone charged up and/or having to pay a little extra for bandwidth, that's a very small price to pay no matter what your income is. 

Edited by WaveHunter
19 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

At least that's the case with AIS, and I've been very happy with them for several years now.  They provide excellent cell service and coverage throughout the Kingdom,

My Mrs switched from them to True as the data coverage at her home village in Korat was poor from AIS. But I have been happy with them.... I expect I should look into a regular contract, it is just that when I came here it was not available to foreigners. 

How do you run the TV with the power out?

Edited by jacko45k
5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My Mrs switched from them to True as the data coverage at her home village in Korat was poor from AIS. But I have been happy with them.... I expect I should look into a regular contract, it is just that when I came here it was not available to foreigners. 

How do you run the TV with the power out?

I was in the same position when I first moved here with a Tourist Visa.  All it really takes to open a contract with AIS (as opposed to a pre-paid plan) is a Thai bank account.  Even someone on a tourist visa can open a Thai bank account.  The decision is at the discretion of an individual bank officer, not the bank itself and there is no government / banking regulation that prevents it.  It's a little crazy, but even within the same bank branch, one bank officer may deny opening an account, while another will allow it!  This is what happened to me.  Bangkok Bank initially denied my request, and a few days later I went back to the same branch and spoke with a different officer and she cheerfully approved it.  LOL...only in Thailand 🙂

As for how I run the TV with the power out...I meant that I was able to use my laptop to view TV (via Roku and through my laptop's battery power) by setting up a personal hotspot on my cell phone.  A hotspot is basically just a way to turn your cell phone into a router:

IMG_1343.jpg.010a66a90861583b3514f3ff00560494.jpg

I can also use a hotspot through my cell phone when my condo's wifi goes down, and while AIS's bandwidth isn't as good as my wifi connection, it is enough to easily accommodate video streaming.

Edited by WaveHunter
On 1/11/2021 at 11:04 AM, n8sail said:

DATA USAGE FOR MOR CHANA APP IS FREE

It was announced today on the official daily CCSA update that data usage for use of the Mor Chana app will not be charged to customers by service providers.  Service providers are also upping the bandwidth speed by 100Mbps free of charge to users to offset usage of the app.  The measures being taken by authorities and service providers to ease the burden for all affected by the current situation are pretty impressive IMO.  You can hear the announcement here at https://youtu.be/-4uKifldm7A (at timestamp 8:20 for free data usage and also at 11:35 for upgraded speed).

Edited by WaveHunter
2 hours ago, Terek said:

any idea when travel to Pattaya is restored back to normal?

Nobody knows, first step is likely getting new infection daily numbers down to near zero. But generally restrictions work on a provincial basis.