Quasi lockdown imposed in Chonburi and other COVID-19 hotspots

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Quasi lockdown imposed in Chonburi and other COVID-19 hotspots

Tvisa_breakingnewsbanner.jpg

Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-Cha on Wednesday signed an order banning all but essential inter-provincial travel to and from Chonburi, including Pattaya, Samut Sakhon, Trat, Rayong and Chanthaburi.

The order has been published in the Royal Gazette.

Anyone who needs to travel in or out of the aforementioned provinces will need to present a travel certificate issued by the local administration, photo ID (passport advised for foreigners) and documentation to show travel is essential (such as a medical appointment).

A Thai language version of the form needed for the travel certificate is available here [UPDATED LINK] (we will work on getting an English version).

The order encourages people to install the Mor Chana and Thai Chana (download links below) contact tracing apps that will facilitate the tracking of people who may have come into contact with someone who has tested positive for the virus.

The order also states that strictest possible legal action will be taken against anyone who operates or attends an illegal gambling den.

Those who break the rules of the order face a fine of up to 40,000 baht.

While the authorities have stressed this is not a lockdown, only essential travel is now possible. 

The news comes following a day of flip-flopping by the Thai authorities regarding the implementation of travel restrictions in the provinces mentioned.

On Tuesday, media including Thailand’s state broadcaster ThaiPBS, as well as Thaivisa, ran stories stating a lockdown had been approved for Samut Sakhon, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat.

However, later on Tuesday the PM said the story was not true and that the provinces were not under lockdown.

But less than 48 hours later, the quasi lockdown has now been implemented with Chonburi, Samut Sakhon, Trat, Rayong and Chanthaburi under the highest level of restrictions with regards to travel and free movement.

On Wednesday, Chonburi Governor Pakarathorn Thianchai issued an order cancelling all flights from U-Tapao airport until the end of January, as well as locking down Koh Si Chang. The passport office in Pattaya was also ordered closed.

Also on Wednesday, health officials in Chonburi reported 30 new COVID-19 infections, 21 of which were in Sriracha.  The total number of confirmed cases in the province is now 420.

Thailand’s COVID-19 contact tracing apps

Mor Chana: 

Android

iOS

Thai Chana:

Website

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-07

Does it mean travel between Chonburi and Rayong for example? Or to provinces not listed?

Need some advice quickly.  I have been traveling for 2 months now departing from Pattaya where I have a Condo.  Now in in the foothills 10 kilometers outside of Nan.  

My ChonBuri plates are going to be an issue.  Where do I get an answer regarding travel.  Resort owner is concerned I will be quarantined if stopped at a nearby checkpoint.  Was going to drive past it today to purchase a laptop.  

How to I get an answer of what to do?

7 hours ago, dg1980 said:

so all those who fled pattaya for other locations with fewer restrictions will not be able to return?

some people getting paranoid.

thailand covid cases much higher than offical

but the economic price is much to high compare to risks

espec usa and europe we done alot .and have equal numbers or higger than sweden or bellaruss who hv not any estriction

maybe without restrictions us death would be double and in europe

sounds bad ,but

every estimated live in usa coast 1.2 mio usd ( without restriction estimate 200k more death divid for goverment and fed aid of aprox 2.5 bio usd) in europe numbers at 300.000 usd aprrox

every institution from goverment pensionfund to private insurance companys calculating lives day by day this is normal not sarcastic

in EU average a live is worth 31000 euro.

in usa i think less than 100k

in corona masure its worth more than 10 time

thats not normal.and  the price must be payed its not free

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, mybeat said:

I wonder can I use this as an excuse to extend my visa for 60 days instead of 30.

good luck in Jomtien.  I typically have to go 4 x for "one" 60 day extension.

Thai visa centre raking in big bucks doing covid extensions for 6000-8000 baht if you don't want to do it.  Better to just pay the helpers at immigration a few hundred to fill out all your paperwork though imo.

Should be no way they can turn you down now for getting one.  Can't lock a place down then say sorry, covid not a valid reason.

Edited by Dart12

7 hours ago, mickyr55 said:

We live in Rayong but are on the Chonburi border as both are red zones can we cross into the other the town of Plutaluang is actually divided by the border. 

I biked a lot in that area. There are dozens of roads connecting the provinces. They can't possibly check them all. 

34 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Had they done this before New Year then things would be very different now.

They very specifically and quite deliberately chose not to do this before New Year, it wasn't an oversight.

Hindsight.. where did you get yours?

8 hours ago, mickyr55 said:

We live in Rayong but are on the Chonburi border as both are red zones can we cross into the other the town of Plutaluang is actually divided by the border. 

Likewise, my son lives in Rayong province  in Wangchan district, yet 200 yards down the road in the village where his school, friends and most of the local shops are in klong sipbaed, it is in Chonburi province.

2 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Hindsight.. where did you get yours?

I have a post somewhere on this forum from around December 26 or 27th saying they should shut it all down and that they have chosen to allow this situation to develop and that if they don't shut down things for New Year then this will happen.

It's not called hindsight when you say it before it happens????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I have a post somewhere on this forum from around December 26 or 27th saying they should shut it all down and that they have chosen to allow this situation to develop and that if they don't shut down things for New Year then this will happen.

It's not called hindsight when you say it before it happens????

Yeah..me too!????

6 hours ago, berton said:

I understand that for about 1500-2000 sick people , you want to stop 6000 factories.

and put 600.000people in ALCATRAZ    ????

was it you who wrote about dict...ure ?

I am advocating a provincial lockdown. No travel between provinces for two weeks only. A simple sacrifice. Keep the economy humming full scale. No insane closures of beauty and pet salons, bars, massage shops, gyms, but not restaurants and malls, government offices, and other shops. Keep the virus contained. Not doing a complete lockdown of Samut province the day after the outbreak, was the height of insanity, gross neglect, and malfeasance. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, pop3 said:

Show us all the sick dying people laying in the overcrowded hospital beds , Lets talk to the actual people who are suffering this deadly virus.

Shall we dig up a few corpses too before you feel it is serious???

Those who get sick, struggle to breathe never mind talk..... where have you been?

Edited by jacko45k

6 hours ago, Dart12 said:

good luck in Jomtien.  I typically have to go 4 x for "one" 60 day extension.

Thai visa centre raking in big bucks doing covid extensions for 6000-8000 baht if you don't want to do it.  Better to just pay the helpers at immigration a few hundred to fill out all your paperwork though imo.

Should be no way they can turn you down now for getting one.  Can't lock a place down then say sorry, covid not a valid reason.

I'm in Jomtien, when you 4 x for one 60 extension, what does it mean? go 4 times?

Thanks for heads up on thai visa center.

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

It's not called hindsight when you say it before it happens

That's called foresight.  Something the Thai government has never had.

Even with a global pandemic raging around the world, and the benefit of being able to observe the mistakes and successes of other countries, all they continue to do here is try to make a baht, while saving a baht.  It's a disgrace.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Not doing a complete lockdown of Samut province the day after the outbreak, was the height of insanity, gross neglect, and malfeasance. 

you continue to judge something that is thousand times up to your knowledge ....always judge without any experience. Are you epidemiologist?

wh

10 minutes ago, berton said:

you continue to judge something that is thousand times up to your knowledge ....always judge without any experience. Are you epidemiologist?

wh

You can't say Thailand didn't have the benefit of the experience of other nations in regards to geographically quarantining a village / town / city / province.  They did, yet, they did nothing at a very crucial point in time when a hard decision needed to be made. 

If this happened in March 2020, it would be difficult to criticize, but 10 months later, to procrastinate on such a decision is an epic fail.    

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You can't say Thailand didn't have the benefit of the experience of other nations in regards to geographically quarantining a village / town / city / province.  They did, yet, they did nothing at a very crucial point in time when a hard decision needed to be made. 

If this happened in March 2020, it would be difficult to criticize, but 10 months later, do procrastinate on such a decision is n epic fail.    

you're right. That's why 1/ they close the market and isolated the aeria and burmese workers (like in Africa when epidemiologists discover a new virus) ...2/than some days later, you realise that another kind of opeople are contaminated...you extend the zone ...3/than little group of people in family are contamined ;4/ coming the close lockdown...that's what they did since some days and press more and more...but they are under pressure from the economic world (6000 factories there, most of them opposite of the province !) ...so I see that they do exactly like other countries before , like you say . Same process in 5 provinces ...probably total lockdown in a few days. Don't forget that governors have informations that we don't have (medical, population movements, organize free food distribution.

25 minutes ago, berton said:

you're right. That's why 1/ they close the market and isolated the aeria and burmese workers (like in Africa when epidemiologists discover a new virus) ...2/than some days later, you realise that another kind of opeople are contaminated...you extend the zone ...3/than little group of people in family are contamined ;4/ coming the close lockdown...that's what they did since some days and press more and more...but they are under pressure from the economic world (6000 factories there, most of them opposite of the province !) ...so I see that they do exactly like other countries before , like you say . Same process in 5 provinces ...probably total lockdown in a few days. Don't forget that governors have informations that we don't have (medical, population movements, organize free food distribution.

Too little, too late.

Covid knocked on the door at Samat Sakon, and they let it in.   

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

If this happened in March 2020, it would be difficult to criticize, but 10 months later, to procrastinate on such a decision is an epic fail.    

Thank you. Would rather reply to you, than to Berton, as you are more rational, applying common sense to this, and not simply advocating for an incompetent administration. 

There is absolutely no justification for the failure to not immediately lock down Samut province after the outbreak. It will be remembered as a stunning degree of malfeasance and ineptitude. 

Edited by spidermike007

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There is absolutely no justification for the failure to not immediately lock down Samut province after the outbreak. It will be remembered as a stunning degree of malfeasance and ineptitude

Had they locked down the country effectively, ie not letting in illegal immigrants who have not been quarantined, (or at least letting the corporations using them know of very severe penalties to deter them), it would never have happened. The takeoff of Covid in Burma was no secret. Ring fencing the 2 Samuts, would have seemed wise, in reality we had employers dumping their illegals all over the Metropolitan area and down the Eastern seaboard. 

• Like 1