Which 3 cryptoes for medium to long term?

JeffersLos

Take a look at PoS ("proof of stake") coins, they require much less electricity than traditional PoW ("proof of work" = have to be mined) coins thus better for ecology in the long term, and ecology is going to be the major factor in the future.

IMHO:

Bitcoin will die as it is a PoW coin and has many major problems that are not going to be resolved in the foreseeable future;

Ethereum might stay long, IF they make a successful transition from current PoW to "Ethereum 2.0" PoS system;

Monero, despite being a PoW coin, will stay long as it still could be mined on the usual computers (not extremely expensive ASICs like required for Bitcoin) = everyone could be mining Monero. Also it is almost untraceable (useful for drug dealers, etc). But expect it to be hard to cash out and severily regulated (because useful for drug dealers, etc ???? );

Also Dash might stay long, IF they make a PoS only system (currently PoW+PoS combined), and a clear distinction between "Private Send" coins (almost untraceable) and "usual" traceable coins, thus allowing a government regulation.

Concerning the current top coins - Litecoin, Dogecoin, Stellar Lumens, et cetera - all are just a joke.

Also I have no idea why we need Polkadot, EOS, TRON, and whatever else smart-contract-capable networks if we already have the Ethereum.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1

ETH fees are extremely high and unpredictable. That makes all applications on this platform vulnerable.

Bitcoin will stay as the new Gold.

Alternatives are already mentioned, Cardano, also Polkadot.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 10:18 AM, fdsa said:

Take a look at PoS ("proof of stake") coins, they require much less electricity than traditional PoW ("proof of work" = have to be mined) coins thus better for ecology in the long term, and ecology is going to be the major factor in the future.

IMHO:

Bitcoin will die as it is a PoW coin and has many major problems that are not going to be resolved in the foreseeable future;

Ethereum might stay long, IF they make a successful transition from current PoW to "Ethereum 2.0" PoS system;

Monero, despite being a PoW coin, will stay long as it still could be mined on the usual computers (not extremely expensive ASICs like required for Bitcoin) = everyone could be mining Monero. Also it is almost untraceable (useful for drug dealers, etc). But expect it to be hard to cash out and severily regulated (because useful for drug dealers, etc ???? );

Also Dash might stay long, IF they make a PoS only system (currently PoW+PoS combined), and a clear distinction between "Private Send" coins (almost untraceable) and "usual" traceable coins, thus allowing a government regulation.

Concerning the current top coins - Litecoin, Dogecoin, Stellar Lumens, et cetera - all are just a joke.

Also I have no idea why we need Polkadot, EOS, TRON, and whatever else smart-contract-capable networks if we already have the Ethereum.

You are extremely wrong!

Why would bitcoin die out? It will continue to new highs, but will during the time and before that lose in value. However, it´s not at all impossible that it will reach 100 000 dollar in value. For someone that want´s to invest at this stage, it´s not such a great idé, though. The risk is too high and the potential earnings would only be a possible maximum of 2,5x the initial investment.

As I am already in the game, and want to have the greatest potential on every single investment, I am always searching for the new exploding crypto. If you look at bitcoin, it have developed to fantastic numbers, and there are people that made far over 10 000% to 50 000% on their initial investment.

At the moment I am strongly following the movements of XRP, and they are telling me a strong indication that this might be one that will explod and raise extremely much in the coming 2-3 years. Here, there is according to me a potential to make all from 500% upp to 1 000% on an investment over 2-3 year. For a period of 10 year, you must be a wizard to predict anything and the people with knowledge would still call it guesswork.

What I also see as a potential investment is the upcoming Facebook Libra, if it will be launched. It´s now in it´s first projection stage, and we will see if that one becomes available in this year.

The thing that everyone talks about Litecoin, Ethereum, Monero, Dash and other cryptos that has already reached a value is boring. Here you have to invest more money with almost the same risk as well as a lower potential raise and gain on your investment.

ETH has a large scalability problem. Fees are completely out of anything acceptable. Polkadot is an alternative platform, so is Cardano/Ada. I expect Apps to make use of more efficient low layer solutions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Marketing gibberish??? Seems like you have difficulties with understanding. ????

So, I am very interested! Your knowledge about blockchain technology, tells you that Bitcion is going to die???? And please tell me more, I am very eager to learn.

As I see it, with the small and insignificant knowledge I have (Just have to excuse myself to the superior knowledge you seem to possess.), Bitcoin will grow stronger and more valuable. I just base that on the specified amount of bitcoin that totally can be mined. It´s just a question of supply and demand as with everything else. Today the common belief is that bitcion is going to reach new highs, but we do not know the time span for that to become a reality. When you after that take into equation that a lot of people during the time lose their bitcions, in a way that makes them unrecoverable, then you will also assume that will have a positive effect on the ones still in circulation.

By the way, yes I also know alot about bitcoin, other crypto currencies as well as blockchain. You know, I was there when they invented both bitcoin and blockchain. Believed in it from start too. That makes me a guy with a lot of bitcoins, and I didn´t even have a thought of selling any of them at the latest high of over 40k dollar per coin.

If you "were there from the start" and are eager to learn then you already know about all the disadvantages of the initial Bitcoin and reasons why Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Satoshi Vision, and whatever else forks appeared since.

3 hours ago, MadMac said:

Well, you can't make chips out of Bitcoin as you can with Gold, valid point ????

555...I know, even if there are drinks and food with leaf gold. Don't know about nutrition facts????

One thing that does worry me a bit is for example https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/10/pakistan-power-gradually-being-restored-after-nationwide-blackout

People who know how to play the game can make a lot of money for sure

5 hours ago, steve73 said:

Libra is a stablecoin linked to the USD, or perhaps a basket of fiat currencies.  You might as well just put notes under your mattress.

And don't forget the if FB decides to purge some of its more outspoken members, you might lose access to it.

If you want to "invest" in crypto's at least go with one which has a clearly defined non-inflation policy, such as Bitcoin.

Thank you! That´s my way!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, fdsa said:

If you "were there from the start" and are eager to learn then you already know about all the disadvantages of the initial Bitcoin and reasons why Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Satoshi Vision, and whatever else forks appeared since.

When did I say I did not know? It´s your weird version that was interesting for 7 seconds. Sorry, you lost your value. Move on!

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2021 at 10:03 AM, Neeranam said:

BTC, ETH, DOT

That is exactly where i invested.  No trading.   I bought 3 months ago.  I intend to leave at least until September.     But hopefully several years.

Also KSM looks good but maybe i hesitated too long.

21 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Marketing gibberish??? Seems like you have difficulties with understanding. ????

So, I am very interested! Your knowledge about blockchain technology, tells you that Bitcion is going to die???? And please tell me more, I am very eager to learn.

As I see it, with the small and insignificant knowledge I have (Just have to excuse myself to the superior knowledge you seem to possess.), Bitcoin will grow stronger and more valuable. I just base that on the specified amount of bitcoin that totally can be mined. It´s just a question of supply and demand as with everything else. Today the common belief is that bitcion is going to reach new highs, but we do not know the time span for that to become a reality. When you after that take into equation that a lot of people during the time lose their bitcions, in a way that makes them unrecoverable, then you will also assume that will have a positive effect on the ones still in circulation.

By the way, yes I also know alot about bitcoin, other crypto currencies as well as blockchain. You know, I was there when they invented both bitcoin and blockchain. Believed in it from start too. That makes me a guy with a lot of bitcoins, and I didn´t even have a thought of selling any of them at the latest high of over 40k dollar per coin.

So you bought it when it was less than a penny a coin. You must be very, very rich today. Good luck. And can I borrow sam baht?

• Haha 1

Just a polite hint to crypto currency investors: Remember your password, or where you hide the little piece of paper you wrote it on...????

Stefan Thomas, a German-born programmer living in San Francisco, has two guesses left to figure out a password that is worth, as of this week, about $220 million.

The password will let him unlock a small hard drive, known as an IronKey, which contains the private keys to a digital wallet that holds 7,002 Bitcoin. While the price of Bitcoin dropped sharply on Monday, it is still up more than 50 percent from just a month ago, when it passed its previous all-time high of around $20,000.

The problem is that Mr. Thomas years ago lost the paper where he wrote down the password for his IronKey, which gives users 10 guesses before it seizes up and encrypts its contents forever. He has since tried eight of his most commonly used password formulations — to no avail...

Full article, New York Times "Lost Passwords Lock Millionaires Out of Their Bitcoin Fortunes"

merlin_181769928_d4ce2e0a-e927-47d9-97cc

• Sad 1

I would say none.   Ride them as high as they will go in the medium term and convert to tangible assets (and not fiat).   

As for those folks losing/finding their password stories, I think a lot of it is just 'fan fiction,' kind of like those occasional stories about people who say they won the lottery but lost the ticket.  

Edited by Heng

There is a finite supply of Bitcoin - 21 million coins, of which some 18m+ have already been mined. It is estimated that of the mined supply, some 3m Bitcoins have "gone" forever, though, because of missing/ lost passwords by the owners. 

Inflation is predictable, one Bitcoin being "mined" approximately every 10 minutes, mining difficulty being set in the code and adjusted as necessary. The "final" Bitcoin will only be mined in the year 2140. Imagine what the price of one BTC will be, then!

Around 900 coins are mined each day.  However, the take-up by Pay Pal and Square alone accounts for all "fresh" mintage. Purchases of Bitcoin can thus only be made from present "hodlers".

The inflation factor in gold is approximately 2%. However, there is no finite supply, and, as the price rises, so exploration will increase and more gold will reach the surface. There is also sufficient technology to mine asteroids for gold, and other important or rare metals, as demand/price increases. One might then say that Bitcoin is better than gold (it is often referred to these days as digital gold).

All things being equal, and remembering the halving factor, as there is more take-up and adoption of BTC now well under way, if for no other reason, expect the law of supply and demand to kick-in, propelling the price ever higher.

As the "king" of crypto, the fundamentals are sound and the future looks bright. Alt coins, with the exception of ETH, perhaps, are a bit of a <deleted> shoot (gamble)!

Edited by allanos
typo
  • Like 1