Koh Samui: Alcohol banned in bars and pubs, some ferry services suspended

webfact

Koh Samui: Alcohol banned in bars and pubs, some ferry services suspended

2pm.jpg.a997e92eec2206e8b87776b3be09ca10.jpg

Thai media reported that the police were out in force in Koh Samui ensuring midnight closing and that no alcohol was being served in pubs, bars and karaoke establishments. 

At provincial government HQ district chief Theerapong Chuaychu and staff held a conference call meeting with tourism business operators to insist that all Covid-19 protocols are followed to the letter. 

Checkpoints are being set up with insistence on social distancing, gels and hand washing and mask wearing.

Pubs and bars and restaurants can only offer food and non-alcoholic drinks and must close by 12pm.

Meanwhile, Seatran Discovery announced on Thursday that it is suspending its ferry services which it operates between Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao from Monday, 11th January.

The Seatran car ferry which operates between Samui and Donsak on the mainland is still operating but with a slighlightly reduced timetable.

Please contact  Line: @seatranferry, Facebook or call  centre 1381 for more information

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-07

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

I don't get this obsession they seem to have with linking having a drink to spreading the virus. 

Your joking. Both thais and tourists love to drink. 

You can work the rest out from there... yes? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Your joking. Both thais and tourists love to drink. 

You can work the rest out from there... yes? 

No sorry - I just can't see it. The bars and restaurants are still open yet your drink choice will somehow be a factor in spreading the virus.

Either close everything down or stay open as usual.

4 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

No sorry - I just can't see it. The bars and restaurants are still open yet your drink choice will somehow be a factor in spreading the virus.

Either close everything down or stay open as usual.

Some of them are no bar or restaurant in the legal sense. They can do what they want - because they have no license anyway. Don't ask me why such businesses can operate like this and some for very many years. 

• Like 1

So you can stay and drink coke with out a mask but not a glass of wine or beer with your meal. We're talking restaurants here not clubs, discos or places where bodily fluids will be exchanged. Killing the indoor dining you allowed. I'll stay home, order grab and drink whatever the hell i like

But yet certain bars stay open as usual selling drink and I don’t mean hiding it in cups ! Meanwhile those running bars or restaurants that sell food have people coming in daily to check they are not selling drink with meals . Guess it’s who you know .

• Like 1

Not 10 min ago I received my second flight change in the last 3 days for Chiang Mai to Koh Samui on Jan. 22nd (booked a while ago).  The new schedule has me arriving in Koh Samui before I depart from Chiang Mai.  If Samui gets cut off while there (scheduled a place for a couple of months to sit out the burn season) no water, no food.

Just arrived back from a Phuket dive trip 7 hrs ago after staying at Karon beach (absolute true ghost town) to this. At any time of day you could look down the beach and see maybe 5 people (except sunset volleyball players).

Edited by DrPhibes

2 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

If Samui gets cut off while there (scheduled a place for a couple of months to sit out the burn season) no water, no food.

You will be fine.

When Samui was in total lockdown earlier in the year ie no visitors, the main ferry companies from the mainland still had their regular runs bringing water, food AND alcohol.

11 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

You will be fine.

When Samui was in total lockdown earlier in the year ie no visitors, the main ferry companies from the mainland still had their regular runs bringing water, food AND alcohol.

Thanks, nice to hear this from a local.  I'm calling Powerbuy, Big C, and even the 7/11 and Family Mart right outside the resort later today to see if still open.  In Phuket, most of the 7/11's in Karon Beach were closed.  Need to buy an all-in-one printer and some paper there as that won't fit in my suitcase.

1 hour ago, DrPhibes said:

Need to buy an all-in-one printer and some paper there as that won't fit in my suitcase.

There's a shop inside Tesco Lotus in Lamai called Banana IT...they have them for sure, saw some a couple of days ago...and Tesco sell paper

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrPhibes said:

Thanks, nice to hear this from a local.  I'm calling Powerbuy, Big C, and even the 7/11 and Family Mart right outside the resort later today to see if still open.  In Phuket, most of the 7/11's in Karon Beach were closed.  Need to buy an all-in-one printer and some paper there as that won't fit in my suitcase.

Can order from  invadeit,  https://www.invadeit.co.th They will deliver.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DrPhibes said:

JIB and Powerbuy in Central Festival both sell them.

All of the big supermarkets sell A 4 paper. Tesco, Big C, Macro etc

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 11:14 PM, Tropicalevo said:

You will be fine.

not true  i was in samui in november and both way in the ferry i ask if i can have a beer , they say no because covid 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2021 at 12:11 PM, Neilly said:

There's a shop inside Tesco Lotus in Lamai called Banana IT...they have them for sure, saw some a couple of days ago...and Tesco sell paper

Thank you!  was able to get Officemate to ship all-in-one printer and crosscut shredder to the resort.  Will show up 2 days after I do.  Will need paper so thanks again on the direction.

Edited by DrPhibes
content

On 1/7/2021 at 4:48 PM, ronaldo0 said:

But yet certain bars stay open as usual selling drink and I don’t mean hiding it in cups ! Meanwhile those running bars or restaurants that sell food have people coming in daily to check they are not selling drink with meals . Guess it’s who you know .

seems to be taken a lot more serious (for now) than in April and police have been out and about checking.  Few who were willing to ignore the law last time seem now more concerned about being made scapegoats. I am certainly not going to risk to be one of the punters who will be paraded in front of the media. 

Hopefully things will settle down quickly and return to what little restrictions we had for most of last year. 

One hotel on a nearby beach has an interesting solution to the problem.

They are offering day rooms for 4, 8 12 and 24 hours.

Food and drinks served to your private balcony or you can take them to the beach.

No alcohol to be served in the bar. Only room service.

Nice one.

• Like 1

If this is not the final nail in the coffin then the next lock down will be !

They will just continue to do this until they reach their goal: Communism !!! ... everybody dependent on the state !!!

Based on a lie [Fake PCR test for a computer model virus] like it always was in history: Russian Revolution Nazi Germany, Mao China - same story again and again.

... but just move on. nothing to see here. As long as you still get cheap booze the world is just fine.

• Sad 1