Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

webfact

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I never leave my home and I don't have a mobile phone.

So if I did buy a mobile phone, and use the app, it would show I had never left my home.

(assuming if I were to leave my home, I'd take the phone with the app with me)

Bring only the app that is enough.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChrissUdon said:

Same as those above Thaichana keeps returning 'No Internet' when registering. Internet works fine both 5G and 2 4G.....

Keep trying. I just installed it, and at 2 screens it told me "no internet". Had to retry about half a dozen times on each screen before success. 

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

555. It will never go away, now that they have it in place. MoreChina/ThaiChina tracking software.

Well,  time will tell.
If it does extend post Covid, then i am sure that many people will not be hanging around.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jonclark said:

It's not about cost..it's about personal choice whether to own a smartphone or not. 

no choice for me, my bank in my country sends me a code on my smartphone every three months to a special app , I must answer to consult my account on my desktop 

I don't use my smartphone often, but it will be more and more convenient for many things ( for instance, plan of BTS in Bangkok ) 

45 minutes ago, apex2000 said:

I assume these apps require an Internet connection to log in/out of places. 
What happens in the case of not having an Internet connection on my phone?
I use wifi for Internet on my phone at home.

The app can still monitor contact with infected people via bluetooth, and advise you when you are next online.

42 minutes ago, apex2000 said:

I assume these apps require an Internet connection to log in/out of places. 
What happens in the case of not having an Internet connection on my phone?
I use wifi for Internet on my phone at home.

I am in the same boat as you, however my reading into this tells me (If I am reading it correctly) that it is for those in the high risk areas:

"Members of the public, particularly those residing in high risk areas now need to download the Mor Chana or Thai Chana contact tracing app, Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) spokesperson Dr Thaweesin Visanuyothin announced on Thursday".

So once they say everyone has to download the app as it has been passed into legislation, I will sit on the fence, hardly go anywhere anyway, or get out of the car, that said, when the time comes, will tell the wife to turn her blue tooth on and I will get my internet off of her mobile while we are out and about.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MadMac said:

This just shows how completely helpless they are. The times they could push cases under the rug like last year and shine are over. Now they don't know what to do at all.

Sure, there are these from reality disconnected "experts" who think they can solve all and everything with "Apps", not the first time we saw this. It never worked and it never will. 

'They'?..'Helpless'..If anything this thread shows how unhelpful and uncooperative many foreigners are, mainly British, American and Australian. The one redeeming factor is that these people, who demonstrate Anti Social Behavior Disorder are not actually here in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Coming soon to a corner near you....Government Chipping stations to ensure you can be traced and tracked like a dog....

No way!

I'm  a hard barsteward and I want the tattooed bar code option like Bruce Willis!

...and my ex- fiancee's runaway boxer.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Definitely use the ThaiChana app (blue fist icon), MorChana wants wayyyy too much personal data (and apparently swallows the battery too).

EDIT The ThaiChana link in the OP appears to be for registration of a store, the App itself is in the Android and iOS playstores.

MorChana only asked for my picture and my phone number. I feel cheated. Can I complain to anyone?