Contact tracing apps now COMPULSORY in Thailand - possible penalties for people not using them

webfact

27 minutes ago, Guderian said:

According to this article, it's only required for interprovincial travel with the red provinces, not for travelling within them, or if you just live there and never go anywhere else:

"The Thai Government has clarified that the “MorChana” GPS tracking and tracing application is required for interprovincial travel in the highest risk zones, which are currently five provinces, including Chonburi/Pattaya. Failure to have the application and if caught with Covid-19 can result in stiff fines and possible jail time if traveling inter provincially without it.

The current five high-risk zones are Chonburi/Pattaya, Rayong, Trat, Nonthaburi, and Samut Sakhon."

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/01/07/thai-morchana-gps-tracking-and-tracing-application-required-for-inter-provincial-travel-to-and-from-highest-risk-covid-19-zones/

Effectively, what you're saying is that you need a smartphone as a passport to go between provinces. Only those Thais wealthy enough to own smartphones can travel outside their province. Sounds like the serfs making only a couple of hundred baht per day will be locked up in their own areas.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, apex2000 said:

I assume these apps require an Internet connection to log in/out of places. 
What happens in the case of not having an Internet connection on my phone?
I use wifi for Internet on my phone at home.

I am the same.

When we flew to Krabi in August we couldn't leave arrivals without scanning the QR code. I told the woman at the exit phone didn't work but she didn't listen. After about 5 minutes messing about and holding up the queue she realised there was no internet. Sent me to another desk to fill in a form.

Has happened many times since, where you need to use the app there will be a form available. Obviously they would prefer the app, and so do people, it helps to keep the queues down. Something that those that have the facility to use the app should bear in mind.

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

Too many western "but my freedoms, my rights" people here. Look what those freedoms and rights have resulted in the UK and USA. Covid running out of control. Let them breathe in deep and suck it up. 

They're the same people who make a huge fuss about having to wear a mask when they enter a shopping mall or grocery store.

40 minutes ago, oneton said:
According to Richard Barrow and Thaiger this becomes 'compulsory'  if you plan to do interprovincial travel. I guess that means you will be checked when you cross provincial borders.

2h
If you plan to do interprovincial travel in these five provinces Chanthaburi, Chonburi (Pattaya), Trat, Rayong & Samut Sakhon you MUST download and use the two apps. The names are ThaiChana and MorChana. They are available for both iPhone and Android. Just search for those names.

To become compulsory it must pass law and be published in the Royal Gazette. Unless that happens any Dr. Thai Fauci can say whatever he wants. 

• Haha 1

I think that we all know that (like in Round #1) many people will be diligent, and many will either just walk past or pretend to check in. The poor* security guards aren't exactly going to block entry or rugby tackle those who they feel didn't follow protocol, are they?

*poor in salary and in pitiful circumstance.

As for signing in with the name and phone number, well, who else had had their grubby mitts on the pen, and who's to say you can't write Mickey Mouse +66123456789?

Thais are too lazy to keep up with these new rules, and it only lasts a week or so before everyone jets bored.

I'll have the app if forced, but they can't prove I went places where I didn't check in. So I can only get 'caught' when at the place they catch me and I check in.

And as a previous member mentioned, so what if we are deemed to have been near an infected person? They just tell us to quarantine ALONE, or force us or tack us 24/7? They don't have the manpower or patience and the government don't have the intelligence.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

A bit of naivety in your statement/question.

Temporary - are you sure? How do you know? When will it finish?

Once they download all of your personal data, what do they do with it?

Wherever you leave your app - that's your home. (Apologies to Marvin Gaye.)

I thought it was 'wherever I lay my wife that's my home'.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mung said:

That's one thing I certainly don't miss, and something I realised a lot more after having moved away from LOS for the first time in a decade, the control is real. Alcohol being sold at certain times of the day, alcohol bans, not being able to think and say what you feel like, and now you must own a smartphone and download an app that restricts your privacy lol. I'll pass thanks.  

And tou think Big Brother doesn't exist in the West. Wake up! Your government know more about you than you realise. 

6 minutes ago, DavisH said:

All the street sweepers in my village spend their free time on them. Posh gits...One would have to be extremely poor not to own one. I know only one Thai who does not own a phone. 

So the street sweepers in your village are homeless and sit on the corners or the sides of the roads and beg for coin yet have a phone, well congratulations on living in a village whose homeless people have more than others and can afford to be on their cell phones daily........wow

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

And then the flip-flop, Thai only at present but I'm sure the English press will have it soon. Google Translate does a "reasonable" job.

https://www.matichon.co.th/politics/news_2517929

LOL, he is truely the brightest candle on the Xmas tree :D. They really have no idea what to do. Now back to the paper sheets.

• Like 1

Just now, bradiston said:

I don't think you need the app. You just need a QR code scanner.

At present certainly, it's unclear whether it will stay that way, also see my earlier post with the link to Matichon.