Motorbike Tires without air

monique25

Hello. My name is Monique. I live in chiang mai Doi Saket San Puluei for a few years and today i had a flat tire. My Motorbike mechanic whom I always go to was closed today. Thats why I went to another Motorbike repair shop. They changed the tire and the rubber tube. In the end, they wanted 700 baht. So far I have always paid 150 baht to my Motorbike mechanic for a tire and 120 baht for the rubber tube. Isn't 700 baht too expensive? At https://www.lazada.co.th/ , too, a moped tire costs around 120 baht. I feel like I've been betrayed. Or is the price justified? What should I do now?  I have attached a picture from the motorbike Mechanic shop who charged me 700 Baht. I was angry and said this is so expensive. They said pay 700 Baht or they will not give me my motorbike. So i paid the money.  ????

20210107_160907.jpg

Edited by monique25
  • Haha 1

are you telling me he sold you a flat tire for 700 baht?

Sounds like standard practice in the land of smiles ???? 

You're lucky he didn't charge you 2,000...

Edited by Liverpoolfan
  • Haha 2

The price sounds reasonable to me; I usually pay around 150 baht for a tube and more than 700 for a tire in Phuket; thus, 120/700 sounds right for Chiang Mai. Unless I have been cheated too.

I guess the tire you found at Lazada is of very poor quality at that price.

• Like 1

Are the authorities really monitoring this place for wrong doings?

Just about every thread has a post slagging off the government, females, education standards,

driving standards and just about every aspect of Thailand and its inhabitants.

I made a sarky comment in reply to one of the untouchables and got a short ban.

If the owners and mods here were worried about potential lawsuits, then there would

be tumbleweed rolling through here as most people would be on an enforced break!!

• Like 1

I have a Thai Elite Visa for 10 years. So i called them a few minutes ago. They told me to go tomorrow to the police and if they dont understand me to call them so that they will translate and that i should show the police in google map the shop. So thank you all for your answers.

43 minutes ago, monique25 said:

They changed the tire and the rubber tube. In the end, they wanted 700 baht. So far I have always paid 150 baht to my Motorbike mechanic for a tire and 120 baht for the rubber tube. I

20210107_160907.jpg

I had many flat tyres before ( honda wave and scoopy ) and from my experience, changing the tyre every time is not necessary , rubber is enough,  120 bahs ok; tyres I got some for 450 bahts, 700 is normally for a good one ( i.e Michelin,  800 bahts if I remember ), may be they profit that you are a girl 

next time, buy a nmax 155 Yamaha, no inner tube  , never any flat tyre 

@Pond Life Good Quality? For me Rubber is rubber and i am living in Asia not in Monte Carlo. Europe or USA. I never paid 700 Baht before. Always between 150 to 300 Baht. Also at Lazada i can buy a brand new one arround 120 Baht. I also live here in Chiang Mai not in Pattaya, Phuket ... where everything is more expensive for Farang. The problem is that they told me that they will not give me the motorbike if i dont pay the 700 Baht. That is a criminal act. They normally must put the old tire back if i dont accept the price. Thats what the woman from Thai Elite Visa Call Center told me. How ever next time i will directly ask for the price in the beginning and not take it as obvious that it will have the same price as with the other dealers.I went to 5 other dealerships later and asked everyone what a new tire cost. All said 150 THaibaht. Only one wanted 350 Thai Baht.

@Damrongsak I dont know what brand. I went later after that scenario with that Guy to 5 other dealers arround chiang mai. I asked each one how much a new tire for my motorbike cost. All said 150 Thaibaht. Only one wanted 350 Thai Baht. So it is clear that I was ripped off. I'll go to the Thai police tomorrow and report the whole thing there. That's what the lady from the Thai Elite Visa call center told me. She will translate if the police don't understand.

Edited by monique25
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, monique25 said:

The problem is that they told me that they will not give me the motorbike if i dont pay the 700 Baht. That is a criminal act.

No, it is not. Not in Thailand and not in most other countries.

3 minutes ago, monique25 said:

They normally must put the old tire back if i dont accept the price. Thats what the woman from Thai Elite Visa Call Center told me.

And work for free because you didn't ask for a price first? That woman doesn't know what she is talking about.

3 minutes ago, monique25 said:

How ever next time i will directly ask for the price in the beginning and not take it as obvious that it will have the same price as with the other dealers.

That is the way to do it, especially in Thailand.

@farang51 I dont think the lady from thai elite visa was lie to me. I also was reading thai law at https://www.thailandlaw.org/fraud-in-thailand.html

and its correct what the lady said. Yes they have to do it for FREE if i dont accept the price. You can give every product in Thailand 7 days back!!!!!! So dont give me wrong information here!!!!

The lady from Thai Elite Visa said in thailand you can give any product 7 days back if there is a problem with it. THATS THAI LAW!!!!

Edited by monique25

You do not give power of bike, or how many km on tire already. You do not say name of new tire. If they were cheap tire, they can be finished after 1500 km or 1 year.  If you want cheap tires that will lose strength after a few hundred km and that have low quality rubber that is not puncture resistant, then yes, cheap tire price you can find online. In Thailand, if you want quality tire you pay for it. The quality is what will keep you from losing contact with road when wet, or having puncture when driving over small rock and  will allow for good stopping.  700 baht is not expensive for all the work and cheap tire. If you put quality tire on bike you pay 2X+.  

Monique,there are laws and there are laws.You can not return a product after you have used it

and expect all of you money back.

It all depends of the make and model of the tire,some cost more then others.

Find out what the price is online and go from there.

I have to say you have not seemed to learn a lot after 3 years here,always ask how much

the price is!!!Very important ,not only here but every where.

I would suggest if you find out the price and there is not a lot of difference in price,just let it go.

Good lesson learned for a few hundred baht.

Sometimes the tourist police is a good source to get some help.

People lose a lot more money here in Thailand by being scammed,consider yourself lucky.

@jvs I will see tomorrow what the police recommend me to do. In that 3 years i never had any problems and the guy who always repair my motorbike is in the same street but today he was close. If he open again i will talk also to him. Last year he made me a new tire and i paid to him 150 Baht for the tire and 120 Baht for the rubber.  Also one time i needed a new battery and i paid 180 Baht. So i was always very happy. But today his shop was close. So i should better drive home as to go to this shop. Its in the same street where his shop is. I think i will take tomorrow the advice from the thai police. When they say i have to forget it then i will forget it and take it as a lesson. The lady from thai elite visa callcenter told me that i have to go tomorrow to the next police station and tell them what happen. And if they dont understand me that i have to call the callcenter and they will translate to the police. Thats what i am going to do tomorrow

Reported Troll comments removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

depends on what tyre and what scooter, the mechanic i go to said 1200 for the back tyre pcx and another shop i used long ago charged i think 800 for the front,

both shops has in other jobs shown no corruption,

and come to think of it, based on long living here,

small scooter repair shops has to be the least corrupt

business of them all

Edited by scammed

22 minutes ago, monique25 said:

@jvs I will see tomorrow what the police recommend me to do. In that 3 years i never had any problems and the guy who always repair my motorbike is in the same street but today he was close. If he open again i will talk also to him. Last year he made me a new tire and i paid to him 150 Baht for the tire and 120 Baht for the rubber.  Also one time i needed a new battery and i paid 180 Baht. So i was always very happy. But today his shop was close. So i should better drive home as to go to this shop. Its in the same street where his shop is. I think i will take tomorrow the advice from the thai police. When they say i have to forget it then i will forget it and take it as a lesson. The lady from thai elite visa callcenter told me that i have to go tomorrow to the next police station and tell them what happen. And if they dont understand me that i have to call the callcenter and they will translate to the police. Thats what i am going to do tomorrow

150 for a tire?  you sure the mechanic didn't sell you a used tire?  or maybe that was to patch up the old tire.  you don't think it strange a tire would only be slightly more expensive than an inner tube?

a decent bicycle tire will run about 500 baht or more, inner tube around 100.

• Like 1

@ChouDoufu I am very happy with the mechanic. He is always very friendly to me. All people are always friendly here to me. I never had any problems. Even in the street people talk to me smile and say hello how are you ...etc. So with nobody i ever had any problems. To your quesion,  No i dont think its strange. I trust my mechanic and always when i had a problem he did a perfect work. That was the price i paid to him when i asked for the price . I live in Chiang Mai. And the area where i live i never saw any tourist. I was once in pattaya and there all was 10 times more expensive as here. I lived in the beginning for 3 month in pattaya but there was full with clubs and prostition. It was a nightmare. So i travelled in the north and here where i live there is no bar or anything. I rented a house and i pay 7000 Baht per month and have 4 rooms, garden and my small chihihhuha dog.  Also one time it was very late and the mechanic guy wanted to close the shop already and he extra open all again for me. So i dont find anything strange. Just today when i went there the shop was close and in the same street there is another mechanic. So i went there and they changed the tire and rubber and then he took his calculator and showed me the price from 700 Baht. Then after that scenario i drived the road and area where i live  and i stopped at every mechanic and i took my phone and wrote in the translate app how much cost a new tire. Everyone said 150 Baht. Just another guy who spoke perfect english said very good service for you miss it will cost only  350 Baht. Best tire in chiang mai. I said i need to think about it and he followed me and still wanted me to buy the tire. I said i need to talk with my husband cause i scared because he followed me.  The other dealer all said 150 baht. Very friendly all. As i know now 5 other mechanics from my experience today  i will know where to go when my mechanic is close again.

I have a Honda Wave & a Honda Click, I look after both of these bikes myself, repairs & servicing etc.

The cheapest inner tubes I can find is 65b for the Wave & 75b for the click. Tyres start at 280b for the Wave & 330b for the click, 150b for a new tyre is cheap, very cheap, ask him where he buys them from !

Maybe 6 years ago in Pattaya, I had a tyre & tube fitted (90/90 14 Sixxis brand) & they charged me 700b so normal price for a shop I think really.