How many millions of baht does my friend need to retire in Thailand.

On 1/8/2021 at 9:15 AM, advancebooking said:

I think he likes the ladies

How much he needs depends on his lady spend. And how much they spend.

He's better off leaving 80% of his assets outside Thailand, to limit his spending options.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

How much he needs depends on his lady spend. And how much they spend.

He's better off leaving 80% of his assets outside Thailand, to limit his spending options.

And he shouldn't get that idea that making his favorite bar girl his girlfriend will reduce the cost. It won't!

5 hours ago, The Man Who Sold the World said:

Not for me - As a happily married non-drinker I'm easily going through 75k/mo in Nonthaburi.

That's a lot of massages every month.  ????

Edited by Leaver
  • Haha 1

If your friend is relatively wealthy then he should have investments/pensions etc... to see him through his old age, so the question should be how much does he need to last him until these start paying enough passive income so he'll never need to worry about it again. 

I did the same calculation when I was 45 & worked out that I wanted (NB wanted Not needed) to have around B27Million to last me the 15 years (worked out at B150K pm but was allowing for inflation) until I turned 60 and then my pensions would cover my monthly spends...

That figure would have been far too high as inflation has been well below the (IIRC) 4.2%PA I penciled in BUT FX rate changes would have crucified me (was 55:1, now around 40:1 but has been below 37:1) so I wouldn't have had the non-THB currency to cover it. 

As it was I finally retired (after a 15 month trial run when I was 47) last December aged 53 & spent around 120K pm this year of which I would class approx 35K pm as "Extraordinary Spends" such as dual running costs (rent was already paid, but includes a 2 week holiday in Singapore for my Thai GF ) for my Condo in Singapore for Jan/Feb & around 85 nights travelling around Thailand (obviously still paying rent for my Condo in Bangkok) so I would say that your friend would be very comfortable on 100K pm as long as he can control his "Extraordinaries".

NB my Budget Pot "Only" went down by just under 956K (approx 80K pm) for the year due to favorable changes in exchange rates & an unexpected gain in the Stock Market, if these hadn't have happened then I wouldn't have taken the 24 night holiday in December or put 100K away (in cash so I consider it spent already) to upgrade my Laptop/Phone this year, if I hadn't have done this my actual spends (including the dual running costs & the > 60 days travelling I'd already done) would have come in right around the 95K pm mark & my budget pot would "Only" have gone down by around 750K pa (62.5K pm). 

Curious what your friend's reaction was when you said 30Million, was it a "No problem" or a "<deleted>, how much"... That should tell him/you whether he has enough ???? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TLDR: 100K pm should be more than enough, but your friend should focus on generating passive income rather than a pot of money so he has enough no matter how long he lives for... 

Edited by Mike Teavee

On 1/8/2021 at 2:29 AM, RichardColeman said:

I think most of us have blown out more than that in our early 'sweet-shop' days.

Haha, I had about three months of the "sweet shop" days after I had first arrived. Then it was time to work. Then I found the last GF I wound up with wanted to stick with me as I moved around, and with was wonderful to live with, in stark contrast to the previous psychos and gold diggers. Thus we ended up married.

Tell your friend not to retire in BKK. The hustle and bustle here is no place to kick back and enjoy one's twilight years. Visit BKK for a few days now and then, but live out in the country, in a quiet Issan town, like in Khon Kaen, Sisaket, Surin, or Ubon. In Ubon you could hop over to Laos, which can be wonderful to tour.

In my first teaching jobs I got by with less than 30k. Rent is cheap. Going out is cheap. Then it's really not that difficult to find companionship happy with your humble offerings. Remember, most Thais out there are getting by with much less. Say you have a small pension of like $1-2k USD a month, and small savings. If they balk at this, move on, they aren't worth it. It means they're after less of you and more of the money, which they can get from the next sucker. Thus, by all means, tell your friend NEVER to reveal the extent of his wealth, that he's got millions of baht put away. Doing so often results in dire consequences, mostly involving farangs somehow losing their balance on condo balconies.

• Haha 1

A question starting by "I ask for MY FRIEND...." better would be: I ask this for MYSELF. Who do you think can give a correct answer on a question as this one? All depends on the lifestyle of YOUR FRIEND. I case he has no income, he would need a hell a lot money to keep his trousers up for maybe more than 30 years.

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2021 at 11:48 PM, Golden Triangle said:

OP, do you live here ?

If you do, where do you live.

Did you buy land, build house or rent ?

How much do you spend every month ?

Do you have pensions ? Or do you spend your savings ?

If you can answer any of the above you should be qualified to answer your "Friends" questions.

Why didn't your friend join and ask himself ?

And lastly, this has been asked so many times it's unreal.

And why would you reccomend 100,000 baht a month, outrageous, I and many others have a great time on half that, just need to know where to go ????????

????

So unhelpful.

On 1/7/2021 at 4:48 PM, Golden Triangle said:

And why would you reccomend 100,000 baht a month, outrageous, I and many others have a great time on half that, just need to know where to go ????????

????

In bangkok ?? 

Lifestyles are hard to predict.. Now I am closer to 60 or 80, there was a time on Phuket when it was multi 100 a month.. No one can give a exact answer without knowing what kind of life this guy expects.. If hes 'well off' in the west, and expects a modern well off lifestyle in bangkok, it can run more than it would in many western countries. 

• Like 2

As has been said here many, many, many times.  It depends on your lifestyle.  Your age.  And your health. 

I have friends who live on 18k Baht/month.  Others barely scrape by on 300k. 

Don't forget to keep a few million baht in the bank for health emergencies.  Bills can easily go over 2MM Baht.  And many policies here drop you around age 70.  Just when you need it the most.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PGSan said:

You sent her off on holiday? To Singapore! 

No I was living in Singapore at the time, so brought her over for 2 weeks (technically 11 days) while I went on a tour to say "Goodbye" after 12 years working there.... 

Oh & to also help me pack my <deleted> & take some of it back to my condo in Bangkok with her.

Edit: Should add that I was in Bangkok & flew back with her on 4th Feb at which time Changi airport was like a ghost town, she came back to Bangkok on the 15th Feb (How romantic am I ???? ) & I had everything boxed off & left SG on the 19th Feb...

Never thought that almost 1 year later I wouldn't have been back there to visit friends Or (re)visit Philippines (Had a house in Davao), Malaysia (Lived in KL for 1 year), Indonesia (Worked in Jakarta for 6 months) etc... My plan for retirement was (is) to travel, travel, TRAVEL ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee

After rent it wouldn't be worth coming to Thailand for under 80 k per month if he had a high standard of living in the west 

Sure people can survive on 40k or 1300 baht a day but it would barely cover one descent meal and a few beers in an aircodioned pub. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 11:20 PM, bkk6060 said:

Does he have an active diversified investment portfolio?

100,000 would be good and very comfortable now.

But, you need to calculate inflation into those 30 years.

The people I know who have come here with a load of cash thinking it will last, it never does.

I know a guy in Pattaya who blew thru $500,000 US in about 7 years. 

I'm kind of jealous.  What an amazing 7 years he must of had.

I could do the same, I just can't bring myself to blow that amount of money in a relatively short time, that I spent so long working for.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 5:32 PM, advancebooking said:

My friend is intending to move to Thailand and not work. He is well off but asked me how much money to live here long term. ie how many millions of baht to retire here permanently. He has visited a few times as short term tourist but never long term

I told him he should have budget of 100k a month minimum. If he is aged around 50 and lives to 80 then he might need 36 million

Essentially I said to him he could easily spend a 100,000 a month in Bangkok living quite well. 

Any thoughts on this. I expect this is the first time this kind of thread has ever been raised

Depends on his future girlfriend

On 1/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, LivinLOS said:

In bangkok ?? 

Lifestyles are hard to predict.. Now I am closer to 60 or 80, there was a time on Phuket when it was multi 100 a month.. No one can give a exact answer without knowing what kind of life this guy expects.. If hes 'well off' in the west, and expects a modern well off lifestyle in bangkok, it can run more than it would in many western countries. 

..............& still wouldn't buy me a beer ????

• Haha 1

Yes, done a thousand times. Depends if he's a hopeless alcoholic mongering mommy's boy that needs the wife/house, obligatory vehicles and stipends for family etc thing, or is switched on, independent and adept at living normally - rent on normal house/condo, out for beer couple nights a week, etc. Anywhere from 30k.