Ten weeks in Thailand: 1st SFG (A) Green Beret is first U.S. Soldier to complete Royal Thai Army’s Ranger School

webfact

18 hours ago, Harry Black said:

23 eh? How many weekends in 5 years did you do?

You can count, can't you?  

Plus 3 week selection,  2 week para course, signalling course and other things I won't say.

What have you ever done, eh?

About 10 years ago, I was teaching English to a group at Airports of Thailand and one student was their head of security, an ex-Thai army captain, IIRC.

I mentioned I had been in the Territorial SAS and he told me that the Thais once sent a group over to train with them and they managed a WEEK before jacking it in!

He said they couldn't stand the cold and when they were told to jump into an icy river they just refused so the SAS told them to pack their bags.  

No surprise there, then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irrumator said:

You can count, can't you?  

Plus 3 week selection,  2 week para course, signalling course and other things I won't say.

What have you ever done, eh?

I have done a half day  PADI scuba diving intro class. Does it qualify me to join the fight ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

I have done a half day  PADI scuba diving intro class. Does it qualify me to join the fight ?

What fight?  What have I missed?  

But if you're in the UK, why not try to join 21 or 23 SAS?  

Better still, if you've been diving for half a day, try the SBS - I bet you'd last for, oooh, half a day?  ????

On 1/9/2021 at 7:33 AM, Irrumator said:

Didn't need to, I spent 5 years in 23 SAS in the UK in the 70s.  Genuinely.  

What have you ever done? 

<cue all the wannabes and Walts lining up to claim what they want people to think they did>

You were in 23?  Me too.  

What squadron and what years?

34 minutes ago, Harry Black said:

Full time, not rubber daggers.

Ah yeah, I've met a few like you, not impressed.

I had one chap down south who told everyone he was a Regimental Sergeant Major or some guff  in the Logistics Corps, you know the one, where they count the paperclips and add up the phone book.    Thick as a pudding, he was.????????

Then a few years later I met someone who had known him for years and it turned out he was a bog standard sergeant who had been drummed out of the paperclip counters because he threatened his ex-wife with a shotgun.  Lovely chap ...

How long did you last, Mr Supercilious?

Edited by Mister Fixit

20 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

Ah yeah, I've met a few like you, not impressed.

I had one chap down south who told everyone he was a Regimental Sergeant Major or some guff  in the Logistics Corps, you know the one, where they count the paperclips and add up the phone book.    Thick as a pudding, he was.????????

Then a few years later I met someone who had known him for years and it turned out he was a bog standard sergeant who had been drummed out of the paperclip counters because he threatened his ex-wife with a shotgun.  Lovely chap ...

How long did you last, Mr Supercilious?

14 years.

If you consider yourself a SF operator after a 5 minute selection course then you are clearly delusional.

I've met a few like you before too, doesn't take long to work them out and shift them over to the ignore list, off you pop.

52 minutes ago, Harry Black said:

14 years.

If you consider yourself a SF operator after a 5 minute selection course then you are clearly delusional.

I've met a few like you before too, doesn't take long to work them out and shift them over to the ignore list, off you pop.

And who said any of that?  If anyone is delusional, it isn't me.  You seem to have just imagined that  based on assumptions and prejudice.

But yeah, met a few like you too.  We called them cr@p hats.  ????

Think they are somehow amazing but those I have met are usually on the pretty thick side of dim.  More than a few ex-regular squaddies I met could barely tie a shoelace.

I lived near 3 or 4, including the paperclip counting sergeant I mentioned.  One chap was ex-RA, who had taken a whole 14 years to reach the dizzy heights of lance-corporal.  He could barely read - we had a newspaper club and swapped between us.  I read the Times, the wannabe WO read the Mail, another the Express and the lance-jack had the Sun.  It took him all day to read ...

I met a 22 year Para lance-jack who was similar.  A month later he was suddenly a corporal - he'd been promoted the month before he left to boost his pension.  All those years to reach the summit of his army career.  

Yeah, a bright lot, the average squaddie.  

Edited by Mister Fixit

On 1/12/2021 at 8:50 AM, Mister Fixit said:

And who said any of that?  If anyone is delusional, it isn't me.  You seem to have just imagined that  based on assumptions and prejudice.

But yeah, met a few like you too.  We called them cr@p hats.  ????

Think they are somehow amazing but those I have met are usually on the pretty thick side of dim.  More than a few ex-regular squaddies I met could barely tie a shoelace.

I lived near 3 or 4, including the paperclip counting sergeant I mentioned.  One chap was ex-RA, who had taken a whole 14 years to reach the dizzy heights of lance-corporal.  He could barely read - we had a newspaper club and swapped between us.  I read the Times, the wannabe WO read the Mail, another the Express and the lance-jack had the Sun.  It took him all day to read ...

I met a 22 year Para lance-jack who was similar.  A month later he was suddenly a corporal - he'd been promoted the month before he left to boost his pension.  All those years to reach the summit of his army career.  

Yeah, a bright lot, the average squaddie.  

I agree with all that - craphats is  what we called them too.  Some really were as bad as you said.  I think I know the Para lance-corporal you mentioned too.  Good photographer though if it's the same one.

The other thing is that in the SAS, certainly in my squadron, most recruits were fairly bright and came from good jobs or were at Uni like me.  Met some chaps from other squadrons and from 21 and they were brighter than average too.  Met a few regulars too and they were pretty switched on compared to your average paperclip counter in Logistics.

I worked with a few ex-Royal Marines and they were switched on too. 

What has whizzed over our friend Harry's head is that we didn't HAVE to volunteer to spend our weekends tramping the Brecons with a 50 lb Bergen, or take time off work to do a Para, NBC or signals course or whatever, we did it because we wanted to and and because we wanted to serve the country in some way.

Still, let him feel superior, eh?  We know he isn't, and that's what matters.    

Edited by Irrumator

4 hours ago, Irrumator said:

I agree with all that - craphats is  what we called them too.  Some really were as bad as you said.  I think I know the Para lance-corporal you mentioned too.  Good photographer though if it's the same one.

The other thing is that in the SAS, certainly in my squadron, most recruits were fairly bright and came from good jobs or were at Uni like me.  Met some chaps from other squadrons and from 21 and they were brighter than average too.  Met a few regulars too and they were pretty switched on compared to your average paperclip counter in Logistics.

I worked with a few ex-Royal Marines and they were switched on too. 

What has whizzed over our friend Harry's head is that we didn't HAVE to volunteer to spend our weekends tramping the Brecons with a 50 lb Bergen, or take time off work to do a Para, NBC or signals course or whatever, we did it because we wanted to and and because we wanted to serve the country in some way.

Still, let him feel superior, eh?  We know he isn't, and that's what matters.    

The only reason I posted originally was your superior attitude to Thai SF. I take exception to someone doing a watered down selection in the 70's gobbing off on a forum that they were SF, then belittling units they have most likely never worked with, with throw away unsubstantiated comments

Jor Kor 90, modeled on, and trained by UK SAS, Austrailian SASR and Israel's Sayeret Matkal are an excellent Thai SF unit.  Naresuan 261 are a really good counter terrorism team, train with many western agencies.

Oh, and 50lb bergans???  Don't make me laugh, I've seen WRENS carry heavier handbags.

Walters, the pair of you.

Edited by Harry Black

2 hours ago, Harry Black said:

The only reason I posted originally was your superior attitude to Thai SF. I take exception to someone doing a watered down selection in the 70's gobbing off on a forum that they were SF, then belittling units they have most likely never worked with, with throw away unsubstantiated comments

Jor Kor 90, modeled on, and trained by UK SAS, Austrailian SASR and Israel's Sayeret Matkal are an excellent Thai SF unit.  Naresuan 261 are a really good counter terrorism team, train with many western agencies.

Oh, and 50lb bergans???  Don't make me laugh, I've seen WRENS carry heavier handbags.

Walters, the pair of you.

Ooooh,  Harriet is doing a flounce, as well as not reading the OP correctly and also injecting what he thinks he read with what he thinks was meant.

I did my selection in Kenya in 100 degree heat at 6,000 feet and it wasn't watered down at all.  
And no one was gobbing off about being special except you, or had you missed that like you missed so many other things or spun them your way.

You're obviously just envious because you couldn't make the grade in your 14 whole years.

I'd have thought you'd have known that 50 lb Bergens are used in training and after selection you carry what you are given or what you need for the job.  It's pretty obvious that you don't know as much as you like to think you know.

Oh, and and it's spelled BergEN and the way you are squealing, you obviously know more about handbags than most ... ????????

Edited by Irrumator

2 hours ago, Irrumator said:

Ooooh,  Harriet is doing a flounce, as well as not reading the OP correctly and also injecting what he thinks he read with what he thinks was meant.

I did my selection in Kenya in 100 degree heat at 6,000 feet and it wasn't watered down at all.  
And no one was gobbing off about being special except you, or had you missed that like you missed so many other things or spun them your way.

You're obviously just envious because you couldn't make the grade in your 14 whole years.

I'd have thought you'd have known that 50 lb Bergens are used in training and after selection you carry what you are given or what you need for the job.  It's pretty obvious that you don't know as much as you like to think you know.

Oh, and and it's spelled BergEN and the way you are squealing, you obviously know more about handbags than most ... ????????

Ha ha, how is it in your imaginary SF world? Your superiority over Thai SF units that you obviously never heard of, despite them being trained by UK regulars? How do you back up those comments?

As for aspiring to to making the grade, trot on, you have no idea whats so ever, keep posting and show your ignorance.