EU citizens will be banned from using ID cards to enter UK from October - The Telegraph

webfact

5 hours ago, robblok said:

He is right that most Europeans don't want to visit the UK. I mean there are over 400 million Europeans. Only 6.9 million visited the UK. (google is your friend). 18 million Brits visited  Spain. So it seems that the UK is not really that liked by Europeans compared to other countries.

Even the Netherlands has more tourists from the EU then the UK. 

Not making any comments on the food as that is taste depended. But the weather is for me and others important. The UK has the same crappy weather in general as the Netherlands.

Not so difficult to cross the heavily defended and uncrossable borders between the EU member states. So, Belgians or Germans to Netherlands... Venlo, just on the Dutch side, if often more a German shopping cit. Buit also the way around: we from Breda often go to do shopping in Belgium. To the UK you always have the Channel to cross. And the weather is even lousier as in continental Europe. And as last: a strange currency. So, why to visit U697022666_incrossableNL-Dborder.thumb.jpg.2e7cc1215736172866f00896ef4b7da3.jpgK ?

border between Belgium and Netherlands.jpg

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

Not so difficult to cross the heavily defended and uncrossable borders between the EU member states. So, Belgians or Germans to Netherlands... Venlo, just on the Dutch side, if often more a German shopping cit. Buit also the way around: we from Breda often go to do shopping in Belgium. To the UK you always have the Channel to cross. And the weather is even lousier as in continental Europe. And as last: a strange currency. So, why to visit U697022666_incrossableNL-Dborder.thumb.jpg.2e7cc1215736172866f00896ef4b7da3.jpgK ?

border between Belgium and Netherlands.jpg

I used to be based in the South of the Netherlands. A short drive and you were in Germany. Better to go for dinner in Germany!

51 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Interesting.

The Top 10 most visited countries by tourists in 2019 were:

France, Spain, USA, China, Italy, Turkey, Mexico, Thailand, Germany and the UK. Based on numbers of tourist arrivals. 

If based on tourists receipts (what they spend) the UK moves up into 5th position, just behind Thailand and above Italy.

The Netherlands isn't in either Top 10. Of course, with border and customs free travel within the EU, there maybe some attractions The Netherlands has to offer European visitors.

Interesting anecdote. When I was based in the Netherlands I regularly visited our European HQ in France. One of my subordinates was the Chair of the company restaurant committee, a role he took seriously. He insisted on introducing me personally to the head chef. He proudly told the Chef " he is from the country with the second worst cuisine in Europe and now he is based in the country with the worst"! Couldn't argue with him. 

Did you miss the bit about ‘Europeans’ visiting the UK in the post you are responding to?!

Don’t fret, you aren’t the only one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Its called care in the community, just because someone makes no sense and clearly has mental issues, its doesn't mean we should ignore them. The forum should be fully inclusive.

More empty insults and still no substance. You've still got nothing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I used to be based in the South of the Netherlands. A short drive and you were in Germany. Better to go for dinner in Germany!

Negative criticism of restaurants in the Netherlands is generally well deserved, but like all ‘generalizations’ it misses a great deal.

I’ve had some of the best home cooked food I’ve ever had while visiting with Dutch families and the very best burger I ever had was in a Leiden bar.

The quality of home cooking is in no small part due to the superb meats and vegetables available in Dutch markets and shops.

Perhaps laying off the stereotypes would avoid  missing the good in others, but then were would nationalist be without stereotyping foreigners.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Nice.I should have been more specific. People *born* in the UK have always had to show passports to visit any EU country.

Only true if those born in the UK are not UK citizens any more. If they are, ID card alone is enough.

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

I think the Dutch must think that the UK is a major tourist destination, out of a population of just 17 million we get a massive 1.95 million tourists from the Netherlands, quite a chunk of the Dutch population would you agree? You do know that you don't need sandy beaches, cheap sangria and souvenirs of wooden donkeys to make a country a tourist attraction don't you?

“You do know that you don't need sandy beaches, cheap sangria and souvenirs of wooden donkeys to make a country a tourist attraction don't you?”

Well it seem not to attract Dutch tourists.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

That can't be true, we have never had ID cards in the UK. 

Your post 'passports always required to visit EU' is simply not true. Up until 2011 UK had ID cards, so also your post here in the quote is not true.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

There's a difference between a citizen and a resident.I am a British citizen residing in the Netherlands.The British have only had ID cards to the best of my knowledge during wartime.In the Netherlands everybody over 14 has to carry ID,I have a ID card come residents permit but if I didn't I would have to carry my passport.I don't think you can get on a plane or boat without showing a passport not sure how it works with cars on a cross channel ferry.

7 minutes ago, adammike said:

There's a difference between a citizen and a resident.I am a British citizen residing in the Netherlands.The British have only had ID cards to the best of my knowledge during wartime.In the Netherlands everybody over 14 has to carry ID,I have a ID card come residents permit but if I didn't I would have to carry my passport.I don't think you can get on a plane or boat without showing a passport not sure how it works with cars on a cross channel ferry.

Uk ID cards existed till 2011.

Depending on destination you can get on a plane or boat without showing a passport.

35 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Uk ID cards existed till 2011.

Depending on destination you can get on a plane or boat without showing a passport.

You can't even get past the check-in desk at UK airports without a passport.

And as for ID cards:

'You can’t use your identity card for travel. Use your passport instead.'

https://www.gov.uk/identitycards#:~:text=You can't use your,re abroad without a passport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

You can't even get past the check-in desk at UK airports without a passport.

And as for ID cards:

'You can’t use your identity card for travel. Use your passport instead.'

https://www.gov.uk/identitycards#:~:text=You can't use your,re abroad without a passport.

Which was not what we were talking about 

To visit the EU for an English citizen an I'd card is sufficient. See EU link I gave earlier.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

To visit the EU for an English citizen an I'd card is sufficient. See EU link I gave earlier.

An English citizen cannot fly from England to an EU country without using their passport to get through the airport / board the plane. So how can an ID card be sufficient?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Not so sure about that unless things had changed in the recent past. The ID cards issued to nationals e.g. you as a Dutch national allowed you to travel to the UK. However, the ID cards issued to non-nationals did not - regardless of whether you were an EU citizen or not.

I was a Belgium resident with an ID card. About 10 years ago, I was travelling on Eurostar, BRU - LON - BRU. I forgot my passport, but had my ID card. After some investigation and a few phone calls to confirm that I was a UK national, UK immigration let me through at the Brussels end, but warned me that I might have trouble getting back. I asked why given that I was a Belgium resident and had an ID card. They explained that the potential problem lay not with Belgian immigration , but French immigration in London. Sure enough, when I tried to return to Brussels,  French immigration at Kings X initially refused to allow me to board the train. The fact that I was returning to Belgium was irrelevant. I might get off the train in Lillie, and I did not have the correct documentation! The fact that, as a Belgian resident, I could normally drive from Brussels to Lille without a passport, and without being bothered by immigration was irrelevant. Eventually, after a good half hour or so, they relented but it was made clear that they were doing me an enormous favour, and were breaking their rules in doing so.