EU citizens will be banned from using ID cards to enter UK from October - The Telegraph

webfact

43 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Bo..ocks! We did not.

It really is not important, but good to see your knowledge outdoes that of the UK government.

Identity cards were scrapped in 2011 - they’re no longer valid and you can’t use them as proof of identify.

From https://www.gov.uk/identitycards#:~:text=You can't use your,re abroad without a passport.

8 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Again, not important, but glad to see knowledge on TVF outdoes UK government knowledge.

I think if someone had lived in the UK for 70 years they would know if they had to carry or even needed an ID card, why can't you accept this as a fact, you are wrong, and by going on about it changes nothing, we have never carried an ID card in my lifetime in the UK.

Why do you think you know better than the citizens of the UK! But it really speaks volumes of you.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, vogie said:

I think the Dutch must think that the UK is a major tourist destination, out of a population of just 17 million we get a massive 1.95 million tourists from the Netherlands, quite a chunk of the Dutch population would you agree? You do know that you don't need sandy beaches, cheap sangria and souvenirs of wooden donkeys to make a country a tourist attraction don't you?

However vogie i was right and you were wrong. Hard to admit i guess. But both France and Spain outdo the UK in Dutch tourists. Basically selling the same sun and beach. I can tell from experience that is what people mostly search hence the far larger amount of visits of Dutch to Spain and France then the UK.

Is it that hard to accept your country is not that well liked as Spain and Italy for tourists. You guys are truly nationalistic bickering even over these small things.

Edited by robblok
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, vogie said:

I think if someone had lived in the UK for 70 years they would know if they had to carry or even needed an ID card, why can't you accept this as a fact, you are wrong, and by going on about it changes nothing, we have never carried an ID card in my lifetime in the UK.

Why do you think you know better than the citizens of the UK! But it really speaks volumes of you.

You sound a lot like that general from Iraq saying there are no Americans in Iraq. Of course the UK had identity cards the fact that they were ablished proves that. You cant abolish something that does not exist. Nobody said they were mandatory. They are not mandatory in my country either.

here is a picture of an UK Idcard

UK_National_Identity_Card.png

Edited by robblok

1 minute ago, robblok said:

However vogie i was right and you were wrong. Hard to admit i guess. But both France and Spain outdo the UK in Dutch tourists. Basically selling the same sun and beach. I can tell from experience that is what people mostly search hence the far larger amount of visits of Dutch to the UK.

Is it that hard to accept your country is not that well liked as Spain and Italy for tourists. You guys are truly nationalistic bickering even over these small things.

So basically you're not a culture vulture, more of a 'let's go down to the beach and kick some sand in other tourists faces' kind of a guy.

Most people look for different ideals when holidaying, my draw was to the high mountains and to go climbing in the Pyrenees in France, the mountains of the Alsace and the Austrian Tyrol to name but a few, but it has to be said the worst experiences of mountain climbing was in Holland.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Nobody said Id cards were mandatory. We were talking about did they exists or not. Nice to see your moving goal posts.

If you wanted one, which very few did, you had to pay for it. It was not mandatory, unlike LOS, USA etc.....:cowboy:

Moving goal posts is vandalism, saying foreign folk don't go to the UK for holidays is telling porkies..????

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

You sound a lot like that general from Iraq saying there are no Americans in Iraq. Of course the UK had identity cards the fact that they were ablished proves that. You cant abolish something that does not exist. Nobody said they were mandatory. They are not mandatory in my country either.

here is a picture of an UK Idcard

UK_National_Identity_Card.png

Like I said "we never carried ID cards" what makes you think you know better than the citizens of the UK, and by the way that is a rhetorical question, I already know.

"Only workers in certain high-security professions, such as airport workers, were required to have an identity card in 2009, and this general lack of compulsory ID remains the case today. Therefore, driving licences, particularly the photocard driving licence introduced in 1998, along with passports, are now the most widely used ID documents in the United Kingdom. Nobody in the UK is required to carry any form of ID."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_Cards_Act_2006

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

So basically you're not a culture vulture, more of a 'let's go down to the beach and kick some sand in other tourists faces' kind of a guy.

Most people look for different ideals when holidaying, my draw was to the high mountains and to go climbing in the Pyrenees in France, the mountains of the Alsace and the Austrian Tyrol to name but a few, but it has to be said the worst experiences of mountain climbing was in Holland.

Not a culture guy you got that right, i like warm water tropical fish and diving. Things you absolutely cant find in the UK. Not that there is much diving in Spain but at least you had sun and warm water. Kicking sand in faces.. not my thing. Sitting in a chair on the beach not my thing. Now being in the ocean.. yes my thing.

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Like I said "we never carried ID cards" what makes you think you know better than the citizens of the UK, and by the way that is a rhetorical question, I already know.

"Only workers in certain high-security professions, such as airport workers, were required to have an identity card in 2009, and this general lack of compulsory ID remains the case today. Therefore, driving licences, particularly the photocard driving licence introduced in 1998, along with passports, are now the most widely used ID documents in the United Kingdom. Nobody in the UK is required to carry any form of ID."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_Cards_Act_2006

No you guys did carry them. The more important people did so i get why you did not carry one. 

But its the same in the Netherlands you can have other forms of ID the ID card is just one of the forms. You guys obviously did not go on with the idea. But they were there. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

But its the same in the Netherlands you can have other forms of ID the ID card is just one of the forms. You guys obviously did not go on with the idea. But they were there. 

"But they were there."

Well so was polio, that didn't mean we had to get it, stop twisting.

38 minutes ago, vogie said:

Nowhere did I say you had to carry or needed an ID card. I said, as confirmed by the UK government link, there used to be a UK ID Card. Why can't you accept this as a fact.

Apart from London there isn't much interest in the UK for most people travelling as tourists. I am not saying this as a personal opinion because I actually like the UK and would like to see many other parts as well but the majority probably think this way. Even I have to say that the weather is an issue though due to its uncertainty. If I only had little time for travel I would opt for some sunnier and warmer option such as the Mediterranean countries. The cooler weather in summer might be enticing for those who live in those hot countries.

1 hour ago, faraday said:

No, the UK did not have ID cards.

After consulting Mr Google, I find that ID cards were introduced in UK in 2006 and scrapped in 2011. Apparently too much info was being/proposed to be on the databases.

Wouldn't it be easier to have a C Card size in your wallet than carrying a book around with you? I know from experience that in Sweden a child is designated a4 digit ID number at birth, odd for boys, even for girls combined with date of birth. No one object there  (except immigrants maybe).

So once again, I bow to other poster's superior knowledge. Saying that, why did I never have one?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, vogie said:

"But they were there."

Well so was polio, that didn't mean we had to get it, stop twisting.

What are you on about.

UK had identity cards and could use them. If you didnt want to utilise it or get it thats up to you. But if you did, you could.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

After consulting Mr Google, I find that ID cards were introduced in UK in 2006 and scrapped in 2011. Apparently too much info was being/proposed to be on the databases.

Wouldn't it be easier to have a C Card size in your wallet than carrying a book around with you? I know from experience that in Sweden a child is designated a4 digit ID number at birth, odd for boys, even for girls combined with date of birth. No one object there  (except immigrants maybe).

So once again, I bow to other poster's superior knowledge. Saying that, why did I never have one?

Did you apply for one? Its not rocket science.

2 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Did you apply for one? Its not rocket science.

Never knew about them even though I was living in UK. 

It's not rocket science NOW cos they don't exist, but I shall be keeping track of THASA's Moon shot. LOL

29 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Nowhere did I say you had to carry or needed an ID card. I said, as confirmed by the UK government link, there used to be a UK ID Card. Why can't you accept this as a fact.

There was never an ID card for the general public, probably James Bond may have carried one. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

There was never an ID card for the general public, probably James Bond may have carried one. 

Read my post 9 minutes ago. I too never heard of them.

I do remember the furore when Photo Driving Licences came in and little old ladies said 'Oh, the Police will know my age if they read it'

Edited by KannikaP

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

There was mate, there was. Looks like you just didn't know it.

There was only 15,000 id cards ever issued and by anyones standards that does not constitute a country of 70 million citizens being called a nation of id users. You must have heard of the expression 'two swallows doesn't make a spring'

"The £4.5bn national identity card scheme is to be scrapped within 100 days, the home secretary, Theresa May, announced today.

The 15,000 identity cards already issued are to be cancelled without any refund of the £30 fee to holders within a month of the legislation reaching the statute book."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/may/27/theresa-may-scrapping-id-cards

24 minutes ago, Adam219 said:

There was an ID card trial in Manchester, 15000 people supposedly had them, before they were axed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8707355.stm

They were never available to the general public. 

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

There was only 15,000 id cards ever issued and by anyones standards that does not constitute a country of 70 million citizens being called a nation of id users. You must have heard of the expression 'two swallows doesn't make a spring'

"The £4.5bn national identity card scheme is to be scrapped within 100 days, the home secretary, Theresa May, announced today.

The 15,000 identity cards already issued are to be cancelled without any refund of the £30 fee to holders within a month of the legislation reaching the statute book."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/may/27/theresa-may-scrapping-id-cards

As per the link from Adam and other information, they were available to the general public, but not wanted by the general public.

@vogie, nobody called it compulsory or said the UK was 'a country of id users'.

Your statement that the UK didn't have ID cards is simply wrong.

Edited by stevenl

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

As per the link from Adam and other information, they were available to the general public, but not wanted by the general public.

@vogie, nobody called it compulsory or said the UK was 'a country of I'd users'.

Your statement that the UK didn't have ID cards is simply wrong.

You claimed that UK citizens could use their id cards in lieu of passports I seem to remember, but it seems like eons ago. But why this nonsense has gone on for so long defies all logic, you are obviously not going to admit defeat, that would mean losing face. My last word is the UK is not a country that uses ID cards (and never has done) no matter how much you try and convince yourself.