Trump supporters who stormed U.S. Capitol could face sedition charges -prosecutor

webfact

relevant law:

18 U.S. Code § 2383 - Rebellion or insurrection

Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2383

18 U.S. Code § 2384 - Seditious conspiracy

If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2384

• Like 1

Screenshot_1.jpg.d5c4e27e51861b220f8427a4d43f8d7a.jpg

Man Who Broke Into Pelosi’s Office and Others Are Charged in Capitol Riot

Federal prosecutors also backed off their suggestion that President Trump could be investigated for inciting the violence.

WASHINGTON — A state lawmaker from West Virginia, a 70-year-old Alabamian armed with jars of gasoline and a man who broke into Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s office and posed at her desk were among those arrested after the storming of the Capitol, federal law enforcement officials announced on Friday as they promised an exhaustive investigation into the violence.

The sweeping investigation took shape after a security breakdown two days earlier allowed hundreds of people backing President Trump’s efforts to overturn the election results to rush into the Capitol in a deadly rampage. The debacle prompted sharp recriminations and the firings of top officials who were entrusted with protecting lawmakers. Dozens have been arrested, including 13 who face federal charges.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/us/politics/capitol-riot-charges.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Link here to info about the loon in military gear with the flexi-cuffs (zip ties)

An Air Force Combat Veteran Breached the Senate and Descended on Nancy Pelosi’s Office Suite | The New Yorker

He claims he found the flexi-cuffs on the floor.

Thanks for the link. This guy's persona and ideology mirror almost word for word what spewed out from the inside-car ranting of the dead female "military veteran" rioter. I guess there are more of them where this "combat veteran" type comes from, shudder to think they may represent any significant portion of trump fan base, since they have more experience of and better access to combat gear than the typical hickerbilly in Trump-wear (or Daniel Boone couture or lately legendary in mink) that we often see. 

(btw here's the other one with flexi cuffs, this one is wise enough not to show face.)

trumploon.jpeg

Edited by watthong
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2021 at 6:33 PM, Nout said:

The security forces shot a middle aged white women dead at this demo.

The security forces did nothing during the summer of BLM and ANTIFA looting, arson and rioting.

I think you need to review what actually happened and the forces displayed at the Capitol when the BLM demonstrators turned up. The security had various meetings and warnings before the event - these are all well documented.

However still still understand the logic that states the sins of one in any way justify the sins of another.

On 1/8/2021 at 8:09 PM, BusyB said:

Maybe but my sympathy is limited - we choose who to listen to and follow. Being Americans I bet a lot of them have spent much time in church, and heard lots about Jesus, but decided against that and went full on Trump instead.

Any rate I certainly don't consider them brave - I look towards the people in Leipzig in 1989 for that kind of inspiration.

As an addendum: Leipzigers weren't threatening anyone or invading anything. They went for a (seriously life threatening) walk once a week.

On 1/8/2021 at 9:16 PM, bendejo said:

Look to the rally that preceded the attack.  There was talk about Jesus (he was on their side, delivered DT unto them, etc).  And of course Jesus wanted them to fight pedophilia, abortion, cannibalism, etc. 

Same rally that DT said "we're going to march to The Capitol" multiple times (look at the 1+ hour vid and count the number of times he said "we" would march, should you doubt).  I wanted to see it him do it, he probably hasn't walked more than 1 block at a time in years.  But him and the family cabal were gone, probably had a bunker to inspect.

I understand what you're saying. But when I look at Ms. Babbitt and her backstory she is not a hapless victim - she took a choice. One that appealed to her baser instincts and neuroses perhaps, but her choice nonetheless. We are all responsible for our own choices and actions despite certain mitigating circumstances. Those circumstances are then normally considered in courts of law by those schooled to do so.

I do however apportion quite a bit of blame on hypocritical creeps like Zuckerberg for not responding much much sooner. And hypocritical politicians who defended Trumpler to the end.

And in the end we are all responsible for our own actions. 

Here's a link to someone who describes the whole malignant mire much better than I can right now.

America beware: 'The womb that bore that, is fecund yet.' (My translation.)

In fact it's like a mogwai that got fed after midnight.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/09/magazine/trump-coup.html

the congressman resigned, Q Shaman and many other rioters in jail, GOP members running for cover.  Maybe, in the end, this was a good thing?  Sadly, 5 are now dead because of their actions.

And they say they aren't done:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/08/us/online-extremism-inauguration-capitol-invs/index.html

Extremists intensify calls for violence ahead of Inauguration Day

"If you don't know how to shoot: You need to learn. NOW."

"we will storm the government buildings, kill cops, kill security guards, kill federal employees and agents, and demand a recount."

• Thanks 1

I wonder how many are actually being held in jail and how many have been released on bail or their own recognizance.   I mean, they have big plans for January 17th and we wouldn't want to interfere with that, would we?

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, placeholder said:

Can you share with us which doubts about the election were quite legitimate? 

in the presidential mind.........it was important enough to seek out and contact the lead investigator during the investigation....while our great citizens were dying at a bigly rate of 1 every 20 seconds.

‘Find the fraud’: Trump pressured a Georgia elections investigator in a separate call legal experts say could amount to obstruction

President Trump urged Georgia’s lead elections investigator to “find the fraud” in a lengthy December phone call, saying the official would be a “national hero,” according to an individual familiar with the call who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the conversation.

Trump placed the call to the investigations chief for the Georgia secretary of state’s office shortly before Christmas — while the individual was leading an inquiry into allegations of ballot fraud in Cobb County, in the suburbs of Atlanta, according to people familiar with the episode.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/find-the-fraud-trump-pressured-a-georgia-elections-investigator-in-a-separate-call-legal-experts-say-could-amount-to-obstruction/ar-BB1cBRBn

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

Capitol Police were woefully unprepared; perhaps even complicit.

They answer to congress, NOT Trump.

Make you think, doesn't it?

Makes me think some well placed folks in trumps administration left the congress woefully unprotected it will be found out just who left them open to the attempted coup it’s gonna hit the fan bigley when they do find out 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1