Thailand to start COVID-19 vaccinations next month

webfact

34 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Sensible decision, giving it to health workers first who are the highest risk of catching and spreading it, and people over 60 who are the highest risk of dying. I am happy to wait for my vaccine and have them vaccinated first.

It will upset the anti vaxxer, anti Chinese crowd on this forum but it is a huge positive step to getting back to normal.

I hope it is effective against the new UK highly infectious super covid mutant strain that has unfortunately now spread to Queensland and Perth in Australia.
If it is effective I can see this nightmare being over by the end of the year. The economy needs it.

I wholeheartedly agree, but got to get those vaccines out and into arms. Does Thailand have the license for AZ yet? If so the country's pharmaceutical companies should be operating 24/7.  

• Sad 2

Todays e mail, from May7th, yesterday. My parents got their forms to sign up for vaccinations, this month. Yes they are elderly. yet,... My brother's family will get theirs by mid february. They will have a follow up shot a month after the first inoculation. So it is cranking right along.

It would be nice if Thailand had a greater sense of urgency.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I prefer the AZ vaccine over the Sinovac but Ukraine is buying millions of doses of Sinovac so if they roll out there vaccination program with minimal incidents I might consider Sinovac if it is the only choice.

It has already been stated in the UK that the only choice is take it or leave it, and as it will be free to the Thai population I suspect the same will apply.

However those that have to pay should be in a different position, as usual a question of wait and see what transpires.

As a registered patient receiving regular treatment for a heart condition I am hoping to get an offer from the hospital but would also be a bit hesitant with Sinovac. The Pfizer vaccine from China would be a different matter.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Unlikely.

Indonesia, which plans to begin mass inoculations with a vaccine developed by China’s Sinovac Biotech, says it does not have enough data yet of the vaccine’s efficacy on elderly people, as clinical trials underway in the country involves people aged 18-59.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-indonesia-explaine/why-indonesia-is-vaccinating-its-working-population-first-not-elderly-idUKKBN2990MX

Dr. Opas said that for the first batch of the vaccine against COVID- 19 will be from Sinovac company to arrive in Thailand in one month ... อ่านต่อที่ : https://www.dailynews.co.th/politics/817537 

AZ trials showed 60% prevention but over 90% prevention of severe case.

(The lo/hi dose is not being used. It hit 90% prevention thus allowing AZ to claimand average of 70%)

If I was in Thailand I would seriously consider the Sinovac which has just released its Brazilian results (an enormous trial) showing 78% effectiveness.

TBH AZ has been all over the place with its results and public communication.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil-sinovac/sinovac-vaccine-shows-78-efficacy-in-brazilian-trial-details-sparse-idUSKBN29C1VZ

I'm waiting!  I'll take the one that the government leaders puts a stamp of endorsement so I can leave and come back without all the restrictions! 

That includes the Chinese one which I don't trust I'll wait it being Thailand I don't expect it to be free for Expats even the Chinese one. Now who in government is going to stand tall have some balls and set a example and get the Chinese one?  ????

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, MJ Patts said:

Different strains are now showing up in many countries all over the world, why?? Due to people still travelling around internationally

No, new strains simply happen.  Not related in any way to travel or testing. 

6 hours ago, TSF said:

I thought they were given the AZ license, in which case Thailand can produce their own. 

If they work real hard then they might get that up and running by next year.

For now the vaccines are coming from China, followed by the tens of millions from the UK.