Trump faces calls for removal, possible impeachment after Capitol chaos

webfact

12 days and the man is gone.  Not enough time to even start a trial.  Move on nothing to see here.  Sedition charges maybe for instigating the overthrow by his tweets or statements, again so many cases against the man.  If he was in Thailand he would flee to Dubai and be like the others, out of reach but not of touch with his base.

31 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Looks the opposite to me.  Pence is not going to invoke the 25th Amendment.  The Dems will impeach, but they won't be able to convict.  If Trump pardons yesterday's terrorist, what penalty is he paying?

That could only change if the Atty Gen Garland indicts and convicts him, which looks more likely, but remains to be seen.

I am commenting on your opinion that he still thinks a coup is possible.

He was clearly dreaming to think that he ever had a chance of a coup by overturning the result of the election via Pence or the leaders in Georgia. It was silly and unrealistic. He overestimated his power and influence in my opinion. The whole voter fraud thing just appealed to his base.

Now I think he can see clearly that he has no real support for his remaining president amongst the people that matter - Pence, McConnell, etc. The result in Georgia further shows that he's not all that. 

A  whole range of Republicans are speaking out about how bad his actions are yesterday. Finally the emperor has no clothes.  I think this seriously damages the Trump brand of politics into the future. He'll still have his base though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

adopting a conciliatory tone seldom seen from the mercurial president.

That's not him, he will never use this type of tone, "Conciliatory" not on his dictionary... he did said, "never give up" that's more like his type of words

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I think you are correct that if he could find a way he'd do it but I think even he can see the door has slammed shut.  I think even he'll get the picture yesterday was a step too far.

If the door were still open, do you think that you and I would be able to see it?

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

12 days and the man is gone.  Not enough time to even start a trial.  Move on nothing to see here.  Sedition charges maybe for instigating the overthrow by his tweets or statements, again so many cases against the man.  If he was in Thailand he would flee to Dubai and be like the others, out of reach but not of touch with his base.

and what about the mobs Trump has empowered?  

Edited by Opl
  • Like 2

Impeachment? The man has less than 2 weeks lwft in office and you're going to spend how much time and money that those could be sent on your citizens. Really dumb and disgraceful. he already stated a peaceful transfer of power on the 20th

• Like 1
  • Sad 8
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Time to put America first for Mr Pence .. he witnessed at very first hand what happened having to be taken to safety by his security detail .. and now he has some soul searching to do .. it is unconscionable that D T can remain in office after the storming of Congress as a direct result of the incitement and goading of his supporters to do such a thing .. the responsibility on Pence now rises way above any loyalty to D T or the Republican Party and as unpalatable as it may be to M P ridding the country and America of D T's president'cy has to be done and by him ..

Pontius Pilate

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1

Not enough time for impeachment, and Pence won't invoke article 25. Things will stay as they are.

But I do think Trump will try some more tricks.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Not enough time for impeachment, and Pence won't invoke article 25. Things will stay as they are.

But I do think Trump will try some more tricks.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/pence-25th-amendment-congress-pelosi-b1784205.html

"In the aftermath of Capitol Hill riot and Donald Trump’s failure to stop the violence, Mike Pence will not support calls for the vice president and members of the cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment of the US Constitution to remove the president from office, according to Business Insider.

The publication cites two aides to the vice president who have stressed that there is “no way” that he would participate, as a growing body of lawmakers and officials from across the US demand the president’s removal.

His aides are reportedly worried that taking the unprecedented step “could spiral the country even further into chaos and partisan divide” and compromise the vice president’s future political ambitions."

3 hours ago, cmarshall said:

I don't think Trump is going to give up.  I think he is still trying to carry out his coup, now more desperately than yesterday.

Well hopefully this guy is wrong:

The guy being interviewed is ...

Dr. David Kilcullen is a former soldier and diplomat, and a scholar of guerrilla warfare, terrorism, urbanisation and the future of conflict, who served 25 years for the Australian and United States governments. During the Iraq War, he served in Baghdad as a member of the Joint Strategic Assessment Team, then as Senior Counterinsurgency Advisor, Multi-National Force Iraq in 2007, before becoming Special Advisor for Counterinsurgency to U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in 2008. He was the U.S. State Department’s representative on the 2008 Lute Review of Afghanistan-Pakistan Strategy, and was lead author for the U.S. Government’s Counterinsurgency Handbook....

Edited by onthedarkside
bio shortened for fair use
  • Like 1