They're back! BMW "smart cars" return to bust Vietnamese migrant operation

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:
34 year old Vietnamese national Mai Van.

It was not reported if the vans were his

Mai it sounds like Van could be the main van man then .. bet he don't get banned though ..

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp

6 hours ago, webfact said:

pick up the migrants in Bangkok and Nonthaburi and deliver them to the border where they would illegally cross into Laos through a natural area. 

In my opinion, should have let them leave Thailand - no bureaucratic paperwork - but TIT and a photo opportunity!!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm guessing that means a laptop with 4G and a mobile phone.

You have guessed wrong.

These beemers are the ducks guts. 

Made in Rayong at the BMW factory.

They are kitted out with a stack of features, the most impressive is the facial recognition system (they have your photos when you arrive at the immigration at the airport and look into that camera). 

It sits on top of the roof on a swivel and can pick you from 100 meters away.  Photo below circled in blue. 

Every province has two of them. They are plug in electric.

i am not sure about the headline, they haven’t been anywhere. 

99F01E8F-14F2-43E7-B833-76CE88C8FF96.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

You have guessed wrong.

These beemers are the ducks guts. 

Made in Rayong at the BMW factory.

They are kitted out with a stack of features, the most impressive is the facial recognition system (they have your photos when you arrive at the immigration at the airport and look into that camera). 

It sits on top of the roof on a swivel and can pick you from 100 meters away.  Photo below circled in blue. 

Every province has two of them. They are plug in electric.

i am not sure about the headline, they haven’t been anywhere. 

99F01E8F-14F2-43E7-B833-76CE88C8FF96.jpeg

Are you saying it doesn't have a laptop with 4G, and a mobile phone?

What other features does it have, as well as the camera? I wonder if it needs to be stationary, or can it recognise faces as it drives by?

Do you have a link to an article which lists other features?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

What other features does it have, as well as the camera? I wonder if it needs to be stationary, or can it recognise faces as it drives by?

Well I don't know but Immigration's cameras on the Autochannel gates can't recognise me about 50% of the time and that is standing still from about 50cm away.

That system also cost a few billion Baht.

Edited by thedemon

13 hours ago, webfact said:

It came in the form of the Immigration Bureau's famous BMW smart cars that after a considerable hiatus are back in business!

It would be interesting to know what the Bureau's famous BMW smart cars were used for during the considerable hiatus???

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:
21 hours ago, webfact said:

It came in the form of the Immigration Bureau's famous BMW smart cars that after a considerable hiatus are back in business!

It would be interesting to know what the Bureau's famous BMW smart cars were used for during the considerable hiatus???

I can't remember reading what the 'considerable hiatus' was?

However, from the link provided by Natai Beach in an earlier post in this topic, it appears there are 230 smart cars across the country. The price  per vehicle is 3,445,039 Baht (total 792,358,970 Baht)

And yes, they do have a lot more than a laptop with 4G and a mobile phone as I originally wrote.

There's a very long list of equipment in the cars.

30 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I can't remember reading what the 'considerable hiatus' was?

However, from the link provided by Natai Beach in an earlier post in this topic, it appears there are 230 smart cars across the country. The price  per vehicle is 3,445,039 Baht (total 792,358,970 Baht)

And yes, they do have a lot more than a laptop with 4G and a mobile phone as I originally wrote.

But does the mia noi find them comfortable?

11 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:
20 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

1. Coffee cup holder.

Ha ha! I can't see that in the list. Perhaps that's standard in a BMW, but there is also (in total for 230 cars):

(This is listed as "type 1")

1.1 230 plug-in mixed energy electric cars

1.2 Surveillance camera Installed on the car roof, 230 cameras

1.3 Set of 230 sets of surveillance camera angle positioning

1.4 Mobile computer (Notepad / Notebook) total 230 machines

1.5 Portable passport censors, 230 units

1.6 460 electric guns

1.7 Action Camera, 230 sets

1.8 230 sets of wireless network connection devices

1.9 Mobile computer software for local operations, 230 units

1.10 Software for checking and displaying data of 230 individuals.

1.11 230 VHF / FM car radio transmitters with Code Squelch power of not less than 25 watts.

1.12 amplifier with electronic siren signal. The power is not less than 100 watts with 230 sets of red LED lights for car roof mounting.

I do wonder what point 1.6 is: "460 electric guns"!

There is also an additional 30 cars with a higher spec. Listed as "type 2"

(All via Google translate)

8 hours ago, PatOngo said:

If you read the Neaw Na link there is absolutely NOTHING mentioned about a “hiatus”  of the BMWs

Natai Beach notes that whoever translates these news stories often uses a huge dose of “artistic license” to wind up the naive who don’t bother to read the link and it triggers endless comments from members such as yourself speculating about something that never actually occurred.

This then gets repeated a few times and suddenly it becomes “fact” or what I would describe as a TVF “legendary myth”.

I look forward to reading many such comments in the future about the “Great Immigration BMW Hiatus” 

That never was.

• Sad 1

Thats the Car, the double secret illegal activities, illegal immigration, overstay, and Thai National Facial recognition with IR targeting system and lock! 

It also incorporates Hi Power WiFi to any nearby cell tower, and the individual(s) are identified and classified in under 5 secs.. 

The call goes out to calvary, rangers, Special Ops Group.....and Gotcha!

Individuals are intercepted and detained. 

My neighbor has one of these cars, occasionally brings it home to look cool!

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

If you read the Neaw Na link there is absolutely NOTHING mentioned about a “hiatus”  of the BMWs

Natai Beach notes that whoever translates these news stories often uses a huge dose of “artistic license” to wind up the naive who don’t bother to read the link and it triggers endless comments from members such as yourself speculating about something that never actually occurred.

This then gets repeated a few times and suddenly it becomes “fact” or what I would describe as a TVF “legendary myth”.

I look forward to reading many such comments in the future about the “Great Immigration BMW Hiatus” 

That never was.

You should be an editor and an apologist! I commented on the OP, not on Neaw Na!

• Like 2