Covid letter UK embassy

The embassy website says they stopped them some time ago;

"The British Embassy no longer issues visa extension letters.

On Monday 2nd November 2020, the British Embassy Bangkok received verbal confirmation from Thai Immigration Bureau that Embassy letters are not required to extend visas within Thailand. Instead, you can complete an affidavit at your local Immigration Office."

23 hours ago, Salerno said:

I believe they don't give them out. No real need, just sign an affidavit at IO (search on here for reference).

Can I actually ask what you mean. I went to extend my visa and was told I had to get one. When it was explained to me it sounded like beaucracy gone mad. I made a decision not to do it and was told if I wanted the extension it would cost me 7100 baht instead of the 1900 normal rate. I reluctantly paid this but you seem to be telling me that this was unnecessary. Now I think I will go back and complain

21 hours ago, dougiemac52 said:

Can I actually ask what you mean.

Basically you sign a legal document stating why you need the extension (see attached).

21 hours ago, dougiemac52 said:

I reluctantly paid this but you seem to be telling me that this was unnecessary. Now I think I will go back and complain

Good luck with that, personally I'd write it off as a learning experience.

982970616_60DayCovid19ExtensionAffidavit.pdf

58 minutes ago, expatocean said:

I also thought we needed a letter from our embassy to get a 60 day covid extension .Has this changed ?

No change since it has not been required from the first day they started issuing them.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:01 PM, dougiemac52 said:

Can I actually ask what you mean. I went to extend my visa and was told I had to get one. When it was explained to me it sounded like beaucracy gone mad. I made a decision not to do it and was told if I wanted the extension it would cost me 7100 baht instead of the 1900 normal rate. I reluctantly paid this but you seem to be telling me that this was unnecessary. Now I think I will go back and complain

WOW! 7,100 baht is disgusting. It's actually cheaper to get this extension through the agent that sponsors this thread.

I thought we had it bad in my city when the IO was charging everyone 3,900, but it looks like we got let off lightly!

Which office was this, and did they give you a receipt for 7,100?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 3:07 PM, 2530Ubon said:

WOW! 7,100 baht is disgusting. It's actually cheaper to get this extension through the agent that sponsors this thread.

I thought we had it bad in my city when the IO was charging everyone 3,900, but it looks like we got let off lightly!

Which office was this, and did they give you a receipt for 7,100?

It was in the main Hua Hin IO. I will raise it when I leave it in a few weeks to the Thai and UK consulates in Bkk

2 hours ago, dougiemac52 said:

It was in the main Hua Hin IO. I will raise it when I leave it in a few weeks to the Thai and UK consulates in Bkk

That' s terrible about being extorted 7100 baht. Hua Hin immigration are the most corrupt IO I have personal experience of. They also asked me for an embassy letter from the Uk and then it was an email which stated that the Uk embassy doesn't give them out. I had to drive back home and print one out. At times when I have been there I have witnessed people being sold visas by the immigration officers. They whip the calculator out and say we can do you a visa for 20,000, 30000, 60000. 

Archived