Ban on alcohol sales in restaurants, other venues will cost industry Bt9 billion, TABBA chief bemoans

webfact

9 hours ago, Simon555 said:

Some people don't drink alcohol and they like to think people who do are somehow weak or dysfunctional.

Some people like to drink all day because they enjoy it and cannot find anything better to do. 

For the rest of us, eating good food in a restaurant without wine is miserable. When you've had so much Thai food that it feels like it's coming out of your ears,  pasta/steak/pizza tastes a lot better with wine. A lot, lot better. Why shouldn't restaurant owners make a living?

Imagine running a place called Wine Connection, serving 1000 day old Gouda and Italian/Spanish meats and you cannot serve wine. I nearly cried into my porchetta.

Set the maximum table size to two. Or four. Problem solved.

thats just your personal opinion as to you need alcohol to enjoy a meal,

not everyone likes/needs alcohol, I know a lot of people who drink but only drink water with their meals,

I drink often with my meals when I go out but I think alcohol distracts from the true sense for food

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 11:10 AM, alant said:

Has anyone seen an official reason for the banning of alcohol?

An official reason for the ban in Restaurants?

Official reasons would be welcome plus translation if at all possible.

Well it it's quite obvious Clearly when people are at a restaurant eating COVID does not transmit but as soon as you open a bottle of wine the virus runs around berserk.
Amazing how much scientific knowledge there is in this wonderful government.

Edited by geoffrobbo
typo fixed
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Whats the point in that, Entertainment Places can open but Alcohol not allowed, but in certain types of restaurants is allowed?

"but in certain types of restaurants is allowed?"

Sorry, but where do you read that? All I can see is "consuming alcohol is prohibited in all types of restaurants or beverage shops, but sale of alcohol is still allowed"

On 1/8/2021 at 2:57 PM, JeffersLos said:

As long as people can still drink at a concrete table with a chess board on it, half the forum should be okay. 

Our local guy has stopped us drinking outside his shop. Mind you sometimes there are 14 of us with fans, glasses and ice so almost an outside bar. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 8:53 AM, dave moir said:

So therefore there's nothing wrong with bars selling alcohol either!!!!

For heavens sake, anyone with kindergarten level education knows that alcohol leads to uninhibited social behaviour incompatible with distancing. "Same same" driving. Any thread that questions this is just nonsense, forum pollution.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Might be about to get worse, I was told in Phuket some areas have to close at 8pm and in Patong close at midnight apparently the police were going around telling bar owners in Patong

I suspect that, as so often elsewhere, is simply an exercise in power. Someone in a uniform with lots of bling wants to make his mark, so he is sending his minions to scurry around and tell people what they can't do.

Meanwhile in the Officers Club the Johnny Walker is flowing...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2021 at 8:50 AM, flyfrog said:

Can somebody give me a decent explanation why reataurants cannot sell alcohol??  What has a glass of wine or a beer got to donwith Covid?? The guy who banned this does he know himself??

There's no way to limit the drinking to that, so in order to slow/stop the spread of covid, they ban alcohol.

20 hours ago, tinca tinca said:

i want/need someone/body to proove to me that alcohol SPREADS THE VIRUS.....it is complete rubbish that booze spreads the covid !!!!

When they banned gatherings, they were still going on because people were getting together to drink and it was just too high a volume/too hard to discover that they simply banned alcohol to stop the gatherings.  Stopping the gatherings stops the spread of covid.  Equally with restaurants, alcohol changes behavior and makes covid spread more likely.  There's no way to enforce "one glass of wine with a meal" so they ban outright.

It's perfectly logical and visibly evident.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

When they banned gatherings, they were still going on because people were getting together to drink and it was just too high a volume/too hard to discover that they simply banned alcohol to stop the gatherings.  Stopping the gatherings stops the spread of covid.  Equally with restaurants, alcohol changes behavior and makes covid spread more likely.  There's no way to enforce "one glass of wine with a meal" so they ban outright.

It's perfectly logical and visibly evident.

The last time here in Phuket they closed the bars but didn't ban alcohol so you had where people would go to a restaurant for a drink and we also had groups of people drinking outside 7/11 maybe the bar owners were kicking off, anyway that was when the total ban on alcohol came about, 

On 1/9/2021 at 8:10 AM, alant said:

Has anyone seen an official reason for the banning of alcohol?

An official reason for the ban in Restaurants?

Official reasons would be welcome plus translation if at all possible.

I can recall, during the first outbreak, that there were several stages that went into attempting to prevent mass gatherings.  Banning them didn't work, curfew didn't work, this is because people were too drawn to gather to drink.

So they banned the sale of alcohol in order to prevent people from gathering secretly, as this was something they could not prevent whereas the sale of alcohol they could.

In terms of bars/restaurants, people's behavior under the influence of alcohol is obviously very different, and they aren't going to be social distancing.  Also there is no real way of ensuring that a restaurant sticks to "one glass of wine with a meal" so they have to ban it outright.

Obviously I'm not going to trawl through a month of news stories from a year ago, so I hope this explanation is enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Might be about to get worse, I was told in Phuket some areas have to close at 8pm and in Patong close at midnight apparently the police were going around telling bar owners in Patong

They be the bar owners who have not paid there dues in the brown envelops this month

On 1/9/2021 at 8:50 AM, flyfrog said:

Can somebody give me a decent explanation why reataurants cannot sell alcohol??  What has a glass of wine or a beer got to donwith Covid?? The guy who banned this does he know himself??

Thais often share glasses - but I've not seen them do so in a restaurant. But they certainly do it private situations. So I doubt the alcohol ban in restaurants achieves anything substantial. 

On 1/12/2021 at 8:09 AM, BangkokReady said:

I can recall, during the first outbreak, that there were several stages that went into attempting to prevent mass gatherings.  Banning them didn't work, curfew didn't work, this is because people were too drawn to gather to drink.

So they banned the sale of alcohol in order to prevent people from gathering secretly, as this was something they could not prevent whereas the sale of alcohol they could.

In terms of bars/restaurants, people's behavior under the influence of alcohol is obviously very different, and they aren't going to be social distancing.  Also there is no real way of ensuring that a restaurant sticks to "one glass of wine with a meal" so they have to ban it outright.

Obviously I'm not going to trawl through a month of news stories from a year ago, so I hope this explanation is enough.

Hi BangkokReady

Appreciate the constructive reply but I am looking for an official reason, in particular the one for the ban in restaurants. As I say , I appreciate the reply  I am just looking for the actual official reason on paper by the authorities though.