Ban on alcohol sales in restaurants, other venues will cost industry Bt9 billion, TABBA chief bemoans

webfact

Maybe restaurants and other venues are losing money, but others are gaining.

Now at least 3 houses on our soi have started renting out for private parties.

Last night the cars were parking in the middle of the road, blocking access to some houses. The police came and simply told the owners of the cars to move. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brommers said:

So the hugely rich industry is moaning that it will lose money. What about the hundreds of thousands who have lost their jobs, their rented homes and more. I have no sympathy for the Association & it's members.

The mentioned number includes the effected restaurants, bars and sellers.

Thais really have an alcohol problem. I don´t no another country what forbids selling alcohol at religious, election and other dates plus between 2 pm and 5 pm. The problem are not the people they drink one ore two glasses of beer or wine for dinner.

3 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

Thais really have an alcohol problem. I don´t no another country what forbids selling alcohol at religious, election and other dates plus between 2 pm and 5 pm.

I know quite a few countries that forbid the sale of alcohol 365 days a year. You think they all have an alcohol problem?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The last time before they actually banned booze, there was gangs of people sitting outside 7/11's drinking, I think here in Phuket then they just banned alcohol sales completely

“...banned alcohol sales completely.” 

except at the local mom & pop stores

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, henry213 said:

I'm so glad i got out of Thailand over a year ago, what a messed up country it is, Run by the most childish people on earth, it truly is a nanny state.

Well at least you got up and left instead of constantly moaning about it.
Did you find a better alternative to Thailand or just move back to your home country? 

20 minutes ago, Susco said:

I know quite a few countries that forbid the sale of alcohol 365 days a year. You think they all have an alcohol problem?

They have a religious "problem". I guess you know that I mean countries where you can buy alcohol regular.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

“Online selling also complies with the government’s Covid-19 measures of maintaining social distance and reducing travel to crowded areas,” he said.

didnt they just ban online sales of alcohol ?
????‍♂️

seems the writing may be on the wall
if you're a drinker, stock up
if you're not a drinker stock up

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

There is nothing wrong with restaurants selling alcohol providing it is managed correctly QED  

Absolutely and the same applies to pubs and bars, but as usual, when the bars and pubs are closed, the restaurants take their place and take the p**s.  It is patently unfair to allow restaurants to sell alcohol whilst the pubs and bars are closed.  So I am fine with a ban on the sale of alcohol for consumption within restaurants, until such time as all licenced premises are allowed to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

If you are sitting in a bar alone having a beer then no ploblem, some bars where I live get quite busy and people congregate so no social distancing 

So enforce social distancing.  Last time some restaurants I know simply turned into bars with the same lack of social distancing. So what's the difference?

54 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

They will have to ban alcohol sales in 7/11s if that's the only way to get it or the chances of the virus spreading will increase from 7/11s 

the "virus" apparently doesnt spread in anywhere thats owned by large corporations
it apparently doesnt like to go in 7/11, Big C, Tesco, watsadu, home pro, mcdonalds, KFC etc.
it apparently only likes to go into small independant businesses, like bars, resturants, salons and mom and pop shops,
trust the science, the politicians know what they are doing, they have all the experts with all the facts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

I wasn't even aware of a ban. I had two meals in Ubon and again in Khon Khaen with a beer each and it was business as usual.

Me too , unaware of a booze ban and I was drinking last night with 2 friends outside of a restaurant . Nearby bars were open serving booze

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brommers said:

So the hugely rich industry is moaning that it will lose money. What about the hundreds of thousands who have lost their jobs, their rented homes and more. I have no sympathy for the Association & it's members.

The industry provides jobs for a huge amount of people who presumably will lose them or at least have their salary massively cut. The association doesn’t have 9 billion - that’s the industry, which includes countless small restaurants. The association is supposed to give the industry a unified voice. 

Edited by Leef

39 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Can anyone on this forum explain the "science" behind the decision to ban restaurants from serving alcohol?

Again, i think that you're missing the bigger picture. Social distancing is proven to work , therefore, preventing people from gathering in large groups drinking alcohol in a restaurant  for prolonged periods of time would significantly help to reduce the transmission of the virus

Edited by Kaopad999

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Can anyone on this forum explain the "science" behind the decision to ban restaurants from serving alcohol? Are they saying Covid somehow transmits Covid, or makes it easier to catch? All I have been able to find is this. I suppose the part about potentially weakening the immune system makes sense, but do they really think not being able to get a drink at a restaurant will change behavior? 

Alcohol is known to be harmful to health in general, and is well understood to increase the risk of injury and violence, including intimate partner violence, and can cause alcohol poisoning. At times of lockdown during the COVID-19 pandemic, alcohol consumption can exacerbate health vulnerability, risk-taking behaviours, mental health issues and violence.

In that case, then perhaps it's time to reimplement full prohibition?
But then you just push it underground and create a new class of criminal.  At that point 95% of the Thai prison population would be incarcerated base on drug and/or alcohol offences.  I believe that approximately 80% are there on drug charges at the moment.  They'd need to build more prisons.

• Like 1