Ban on alcohol sales in restaurants, other venues will cost industry Bt9 billion, TABBA chief bemoans

webfact

There’s no medical proof that drinking alcohol in a restaurant makes you more susceptible to Covid. That along with the crippling loss of tax revenue at a time when there’s next to no income from tourism and exports suffering via the artificially high baht, makes the decision more baffling.

Can anyone explain what selling a glass of wine or a beer in Restaurants has to do with Covid, I just don’t get it?  As long as hygiene and distancing is in place and followed what is the issue, have the law makers that make these rules actually thought this through and if so what is their logic? What are they trying to achieve? 

Have they considered the roll on effect this will have on all the associated industries as well as the owners and the staff employed in these establishments! 
I guess if their own salaries were affected like those in the industries that they are restricting it would be quite a different scenario and there would be a good logical reason to impose what they have which will only further increase strain on the economy and bring hardships to those employed and their families in all of the associated industries. 
Its time that Thailand’s leaders imposed laws and policies based on common sense, good practices and the economic well being of the nation instead of knee jerk reactions that have no merit or common sense. 
“Concerned resident”

The ban on alcohol in restaurants is very damaging and there is no

reason for it.  The entire pandemic is now, particularly in Thailand,

being micro-managed by politicians, and includes 'health ministers'

and the like.  They may be medical doctors but their first allegiance

is to their political masters, not to the people and certainly no relevance

to the economic health of the country.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Can anyone on this forum explain the "science" behind the decision to ban restaurants from serving alcohol? Are they saying Covid somehow transmits Covid, or makes it easier to catch? All I have been able to find is this. I suppose the part about potentially weakening the immune system makes sense, but do they really think not being able to get a drink at a restaurant will change behavior? 

Alcohol is known to be harmful to health in general, and is well understood to increase the risk of injury and violence, including intimate partner violence, and can cause alcohol poisoning. At times of lockdown during the COVID-19 pandemic, alcohol consumption can exacerbate health vulnerability, risk-taking behaviours, mental health issues and violence.

Don’t fret...they’ll be busting through your door soon enough.

Edited by Johnnyb2good
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

I wasn't even aware of a ban. I had two meals in Ubon and again in Khon Khaen with a beer each and it was business as usual.

But I don't think that your province is under lockdown ? 
These new rules  only apply to provinces that are in the "red zone"

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, flyfrog said:

Can somebody give me a decent explanation why reataurants cannot sell alcohol??  What has a glass of wine or a beer got to donwith Covid?? The guy who banned this does he know himself??

Control.......

26 minutes ago, Johnnyb2good said:

Ohhhh, they didn’t tell you. This is all a globally executed psyop that has ZERO to do with health or virology whatsoever. It’s about suffocating and destroying human civilization. Period.

Period.

Oh please, these conspiracy theories are a bit much.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Johnnyb2good said:

Ohhhh, they didn’t tell you. This is all a globally executed psyop that has ZERO to do with health or virology whatsoever. It’s about suffocating and destroying human civilization. Period.

Period.

Well it could be natures way of trying to control human beings.

image.png.7c1aae04ce38a1b590f00c263b44d954.png

2 hours ago, henry213 said:

I'm so glad i got out of Thailand over a year ago, what a messed up country it is, Run by the most childish people on earth, it truly is a nanny state.

I don't know about a nanny state, and yes! the country is really messed up, what does anyone expect when an army general and his soldiers can just muscle their way into power, tell the sitting government to make way for his "government" and starting to sit round a table with his soldiers to make rules for us to obey just to suit his authority which he is very used to with his soldiers.

I don't think that childish is what they are, just typical soldiers who love authority and now have a chance to use it to their advantage, ie an income stream that keeps getting bigger as the years go on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brommers said:

So the hugely rich industry is moaning that it will lose money. What about the hundreds of thousands who have lost their jobs, their rented homes and more. I have no sympathy for the Association & it's members.

Perhaps they loose their job, because alcohol cannot be sold in the restaurants and venues where they had been working, it's mainly in tourist- and entertainment industries people gets unemployed...????

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

If there are two things that are cast in Stone, its that Banks and Booze Companies never loose money.

They just put up their prices to recoup any shortfalls they have to endure.

and also insurance companies, who try and use every technicality and small print to try and not pay out on claims.

2 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Again, i think that you're missing the bigger picture. Social distancing is proven to work , therefore, preventing people from gathering in large groups drinking alcohol in a restaurant  for prolonged periods of time would significantly help to reduce the transmission of the virus

But large groups eating in a restaurant is somehow OK? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leef said:

The industry provides jobs for a huge amount of people who presumably will lose them or at least have their salary massively cut. The association doesn’t have 9 billion - that’s the industry, which includes countless small restaurants. The association is supposed to give the industry a unified voice. 

Feeling sorry for all those pretty beer girls.

• Thanks 1

Ah .... the boys in green again - full steam ahead with power play. There is absolutely no relation between any flu and alcohol - to the best of my limited knowledge. No other country has such booze restrictions.

What amazes me is, how much beating can the SMU owner, be it restaurants in this particular case, withstand? There must be a breaking point and to me it seems like if the greenies with stiff hats and an affinity for saluting and fanfares are trying everything possible to find out, where that breaking point exactly is. 

If I would not live here and see the contradictory way of how almost anything is handled, I certainly would take it as a bad joke; regretfully it is reality! 

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

What are the main pro's and cons compared with living in Thailand? 

Pros:

Alcohol is much cheaper overall, especially spirits and wine

Decent wine bars and other cool places to drink

Long term visas are easier, especially if you are under 50

Weed is openly smoked there (if that's your thing, it isn't mine)

Cons:

Much higher crime

Dirtier overall, it is still a long way behind Thailand in this regard

Drive on the wrong (French) side of the road

Mongering is much better in Thailand if that's your bag

They use USD and their own worthless currency

Loads of dodgy expats there, everyone that fails in TL ends up in Cambo

Loads of hangers on, drugs and junkies there

Too many Chinese now

Overall I love Cambo but not sure I could live there. Thailand just offers so much more. I have been living in Thailand for 31 years and visiting Cambo for over 25 and have many expat friends there.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 9:00 PM, Thaiwrath said:

They don't care.

If they could get away with it they would ban it indefinitely.

Complaining to this government is akin to p*ssing into the wind.

I'm sure Mr Singa and Mrs Chang will be very upset. They would pack some punch, I would think, they probably are spanking Prayut right now.